$13.30 for three days of food

Options

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend checking out the blog budgetbytes - every year she does a challenge based on using only money received via the SNAP program - which might give you some ideas

I would look at how much food over the 3 days do you eat - and then plan for same/similar meal components each time - foods like beans/rice can be bought for cheap (not in bulk, but in general); look through weekly shopping coupons/online coupons
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    chicken thighs, peanut butter, beans, pasta and canned tomato sauce, I'm guessing right around $10 and more than enough food for 3 days
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    When you say you are not allowed to buy in bulk do you mean wouldn't be allowed to say buy a packet of pasta or a box of cereal that would make more than one meal?

I think they mean that they can't overspend the $13.30 (they can't deduct off the price of the extra food if they buy more than 3-days quantity).

The following are very cheap (and stretch far - though you are only trying to stretch out 3 days): rice & beans; soup & crackers/bread (root vegetables are cheap, add beans and some meat for protein). Meat: chicken thighs are cheap, or smaller package of sausage/pre-cooked ham if time is an issue (stretches far if chopped up and added to rice & beans or soup). Sandwiches can go far for cheap. Preferably go to a discount grocery and buy generic if an option where you are.
  • jaynerz
    jaynerz Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I love canned vegetables and sometimes they are like 70 cents! Tuna and vegetables? you could make wraps or sandwiches probably also
  • AgidGirl
    AgidGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Rotisserie chicken for sure, you can stretch that to feed you for 4+ meals! Shred all of the meat from the bird and then boil down that bones/carcass and make a soup base for another meal. Get a small bag of beans and rice and you can eat beans and rice w/chicken and then make a bean, rice, chicken soup for another meal.
  • nlay79
    nlay79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There is a cookbook called Good and Cheap: Eat Well on $4/Day. Lots of ideas for you in that. It's on Amazon and I think would be really helpful for you.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    If you have farmer markets in your area, it would be a great opportunity to learn how to negotiate. Get 2 for 1 on vegetables, or bid low (about 1/4) the price on stuff like eggs or meat - the vendor will most likely meet you in the middle bc he/she just want to sell their stuff (especially the last hour and a half of the market time).
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    ritzvin wrote: »
    AgidGirl wrote: »
    Rotisserie chicken for sure, you can stretch that to feed you for 4+ meals! Shred all of the meat from the bird and then boil down that bones/carcass and make a soup base for another meal. Get a small bag of beans and rice and you can eat beans and rice w/chicken and then make a bean, rice, chicken soup for another meal.

Awful advice. You're trying to stretch your money, don't buy something someone else cooked... do you think they do that for free? It's going to be much cheaper to buy a chicken (or chicken pieces) and cook it yourself.

Precooked food is for convenience. Great if you have more money than time, not a good idea if you're super poor.

If OP doesn't know how to cook, it's not terrible advice. The rotisserie chickens are usually only slightly more expensive than the raw birds at a lot of groceries (I've seen them range from $4-6 at various stores around here. The raw birds are sometimes just as much) and is more than enough for 1 person for 3 days. (The protein source is expected to be the most expensive item, and will come in at less than half the budget here).

(I usually get about 11 servings of meat off of one $5 rotisserie chicken. About the same amount I get from a $3-4 pack of chicken thighs, but tastes much better and didn't utilize an extra session of cooking to cook the chicken before I could do meal prep).

The negative for someone who is truly poor, is the possible requirement to make an extra trip to a higher end supermarket to buy said rotisserie chicken, since you will typically not find them in a discount grocery store like save-a-lot/Aldi's/Price Rite (which is where you would want to do the bulk of your shopping - the price differences on produce (fresh, frozen,canned), rice, beans,... will add up fast if you try to buy the majority of items at the main large supermarket chains).