How to detox/cleanse after vacation

Options

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    nesa98 wrote: »
    Ik you were kidding with the laxatives thing ... I know I can't flush out all I ate - that's not what I meant either - I just meant how to get back to normalcy after a vacation .... it's been almost 2 months that I'm home and that 4 lbs is still hanging around... it's been crazy ... I see the dr this week so I hope I get answers ....

I thank everyone for your help .... I've been drinking my water!!!

Unless I missed it, this is the first time you said it's been 2 months. That's kind of a different question. You've had IBS for almost 2 months?
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    OP, re your IBS - have you tried food intolerance testing? In the UK, IBS is what's diagnosed when obvious things like cancer have been ruled out. I got that diagnosis 26 years ago and was just left to get on with it. A few years later it became obvious that I was intolerant to dairy - when I cut milk and cheese out, a lot of my symptoms vanished or at least eased. About 6 years ago I determined that I'm also intolerant to yeast. Once I cut that out (and it's in a LOT of stuff), my 'IBS' went away completely. To confirm my self-diagnosis, I was referred to Prof Jonathan Brostoff who had me doing various tests to see what I reacted to, how severely and how quickly, but the primary thing that I got out of seeing him was an understanding of what foods & drinks to avoid. He has written a couple of very good books about the subject which might be worth a look at.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    wolfe1234 wrote: »
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    There's nothing to add to the water.

Depending on how you lost the 4 lbs, it may go away quickly or not at all. If you lost the 4 lbs through serious carb/sodium restriction, it was likely water weight so what you gained could have just taken you up to your normal equilibrium. But if you lost it through moderate calorie restriction, it should gradually fall off once you're back to your normal diet.

Just through diet and exercise ... which I'm back to starting today .... plus more water intake ... I didn't get my full gallon a day on vacation but came close ....

Does your GI have you on any probiotics?

I'm on benefiber twice a day ... other than that nope... we haven't found much that works well with me but I'm always open to opinions that worked for others ... my lovely dr doesn't seem to care :(

Research ground psyllium husk...it works for me. It is kind of nasty to drink however. It took me a while to find a way of making it palatable. It gets really thick...the texture is disgusting. I mix mine with vanilla protein powder, a banana and about 1 1/2 cups water with a little ice. Blend until it turns in to a slushy.

If you decide to try it start with 1 tsp to 1 1/2 tsp and build up from there. It is fiber so if you take too much to start with it will make your constipation worse.

I have the same problem and get desperate sometimes for relief. The psyllium saved me!

Thank you so much - yes I do have that but haven't found a good way to drink it lol ... it is nasty :)

You can get psyllium in capsule form too.

I mix my powder with my oatmeal along with other things, no taste that way
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Just go back to normal dieting. If you want any help, increase fiber and water consumption. And if you want, cut out junk food for week to feel better; so eat lots of whole foods.

This is what I do. Back to better food choices....lots of fluids. It'll drop back off before you know it so there's no need to look for crazy stuff to do.

And I think it's fabulous that you only gained 4lbs. I've had the scale shoot up 9lbs over a weekend. LOL!

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Re: the psyllium husk, i have it everyday, 20 to 25g all at once. If you like pudding/custard let me know and i'll post how i make it minus the sand consistency and taste.

I can NOT drink it mixed in water or juice without wanting to hurl. The capsules are so expensive compared to the powder. If i remember correctly, i had to take around 12 of them everyday when i tried them, ended up waay too expensive.
  • counting_kilojoules
    counting_kilojoules Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    It doesn't much matter which fiber supplement you take (psyllium husk, benefiber, something else) as long as you find it works for you. My gastro doesn't recommend psyllium husk because he finds a lot of people are sensitive to it.

Have you tried a low FODMAPs diet? It helps a lot of people with IBS
  • Christine_72
    Options
    @emma_may1978 Do you know what your doctor meant by sensitive, ie symptoms?
  • counting_kilojoules
    counting_kilojoules Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    @emma_may1978 Do you know what your doctor meant by sensitive, ie symptoms?

I think he meant that it was harsher than some of the other fiber supplements (he asked me to take another brand, called Normafibe) but it was a while back and there was a lot of information to go through during that particular appointment so he didn't go into detail. Sorry I can't be more specific.
  • nesa98
    nesa98 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've had ibs for over 10 years...
    jemhh wrote: »
    There's nothing to add to the water.

Depending on how you lost the 4 lbs, it may go away quickly or not at all. If you lost the 4 lbs through serious carb/sodium restriction, it was likely water weight so what you gained could have just taken you up to your normal equilibrium. But if you lost it through moderate calorie restriction, it should gradually fall off once you're back to your normal diet.

Just through diet and exercise ... which I'm back to starting today .... plus more water intake ... I didn't get my full gallon a day on vacation but came close ....

Does your GI have you on any probiotics?

I'm on benefiber twice a day ... other than that nope... we haven't found much that works well with me but I'm always open to opinions that worked for others ... my lovely dr doesn't seem to care :(

I would suggest adding some magnesium oxide to your life if constipation/bloating is the issue. Anywhere between 400 and 800mg a day is normal. Always start at the lower end and use the same amount for 3 days before adding any additional. When you hit bowel function then that's the spot you would stay at. For long term fixes, try adding 1-2 digestive enzymes to each meal every day (or at least breakfast and dinner). Enzymes can also be helpful with the IBS in general. Usually, long term constipation is from poor digestion/enzyme action in the stomach.
    Ik you were kidding with the laxatives thing ... I know I can't flush out all I ate - that's not what I meant either - I just meant how to get back to normalcy after a vacation .... it's been almost 2 months that I'm home and that 4 lbs is still hanging around... it's been crazy ... I see the dr this week so I hope I get answers ....

I thank everyone for your help .... I've been drinking my water!!!

Unless I missed it, this is the first time you said it's been 2 months. That's kind of a different question. You've had IBS for almost 2 months?

• nesa98
    Options
    I have tried to drink it even once a week and just can't ... add me.. I'd love a recipe to try to drink it. Thank you
    Re: the psyllium husk, i have it everyday, 20 to 25g all at once. If you like pudding/custard let me know and i'll post how i make it minus the sand consistency and taste.

I can NOT drink it mixed in water or juice without wanting to hurl. The capsules are so expensive compared to the powder. If i remember correctly, i had to take around 12 of them everyday when i tried them, ended up waay too expensive.

• Lucas2013
    Lucas2013 Posts: 15 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Have a working liver and kidneys. That's it. Detoxes are one of the most notorious scams in the fitness industry, right up there with clean eating and 22 minute abs. There has never been one scientific study showing the validation of a detox or a cleanse, except for the fact that you will probably end up very micro nutrient deficient, and the only thing it will cleanse you of is your will to live.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I have tried to drink it even once a week and just can't ... add me.. I'd love a recipe to try to drink it. Thank you

I use a 500ml soup mug for this.

35g protein powder, I use chocolate/peanut butter
    20g psyllium powder
    10g coconut oil or 20g cream
    250ml unsweetened vanilla almond milk

Add everything into the mug and mix with a stick blender, then slowly start adding hot kettle water while still mixing, until your cup is full.
  • nesa98
    Options

20g psyllium powder

Add everything into the mug and mix with a stick blender, then slowly start adding hot kettle water while still mixing, until your cup is full.

Thank you soooo much ☺️

• nesa98
    Options
    Lucas2013 wrote: »
    Have a working liver and kidneys. That's it. Detoxes are one of the most notorious scams in the fitness industry, right up there with clean eating and 22 minute abs. There has never been one scientific study showing the validation of a detox or a cleanse, except for the fact that you will probably end up very micro nutrient deficient, and the only thing it will cleanse you of is your will to live.

I'm starting to believe the whole fitness industry is a scam lol... down to these Fitbit things and all... my husband keeps telling me it, but I'm naive!!! Thank you
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Just poop.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Just poop.

ETA: Oops. Just saw you have IBS-C. Poop doesn't come easy. I guess you should probably just go back to what you were doing before vacation and drink a little extra water. It's probably mostly water weight from extra sodium from all the garbage you ate. It shouldn't stick around too long. :)
  • Christine_72
    Options

20g psyllium powder

Thank you soooo much ☺️

You're welcome. I hope you like it :smiley:

• LucasWilland
    LucasWilland Posts: 68 Member
    Options

I'm starting to believe the whole fitness industry is a scam lol... down to these Fitbit things and all... my husband keeps telling me it, but I'm naive!!! Thank you

You are right-- a lot of it is a scam, and a lot of people in the fitness industry are complete charlatans that prey off of people's desire for a quick fix. This is largely due to a large amount of people not being educated on the importance of critical thinking and the media hyperbole blowing a study way out of proportion, just so they can sell more magazines, garner more ratings, whatever.. Take, for example, that recent study that showed such and such a thing caused cancer. Well, there is a reason why you shouldn't believe it. According to this infographic, eating anything causes cancer-- no, I'm not kidding:
    http://www.vox.com/2015/3/23/8264355/research-study-hype
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

You're not far from the truth. And if you're talking about the diet/supplement industry in particular, you're even closer to the truth. It's a multi-billion dollar industry built mostly upon scams, pseudoscience, slick advertising/marketing, lies and borderline(?) fraud. It preys upon the desperate, the gullible, the naïve and the uninformed who desperately want to believe that there's a quick fix or magic pill/potion to slim them down, bulk them up, "tone" their muscles, detox their insides, etc. Much of the supplement industry exists solely because there are enough people willing to throw their money at anything they think might give them a chance to reach their goals. You don't need repeat customers as long as there are people willing to try product after product in search of the magic pill.

If such a magic pill/potion existed, three things are for sure:

1) Everybody would soon know about it.
    2) It would become ridiculously popular, expensive and difficult to get ahold of.
    3) The FDA would intervene and it would become a prescription-only substance.