Success with ALLI or Hydroxycut?

Options
Hello!
Has anyone had success with either of these? I would like to try but it is so hard to tell what is a gimmick and what is scientific.

Also, thank you all who help me, I am new to this weight loss journey.

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    For Alli, do the math.

It works by blocking some of the fat you eat from being absorbed. BUT taking in too much fat per meal/snack can have horrible side effects. (As in, carry a change of underwear.) You'd need to limit your fat intake to something like 50-60 grams per day, and then 25% of that would be blocked. If you do the math it results in about 1 pound per month of blocked calories. Alli's greatest success in terms of weight loss, perhaps, is that it makes you afraid to eat too much fat so as to avoid the side effects. BUT you need fat. Blocking the fat could also prevent your body from absorbing some vitamins and nutrients.

If you do need extra accountability there are apps like DietBet, StepBet or Pact where you set yourself up for financial penalties if you don't meet your objectives.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I've done Hydroxycut and the Hardcore version and all it really did was make me sick. I did get an initial energy boost shortly after taking it, but crashed hard in the afternoon. And while I guess it was "effective" as an appetite suppressant because I simply felt too sick to eat, no one really wants to walk around feeling like they're going to vomit at any given moment. I say save your $25! it doesn't work
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have no shame anymore.... here's a cute little story about Alli http://www.morethancheeseandbeer.com/2014/01/sunday-confession-11-insecurities.html

Hydroxycut just dehydrated me and made me sick.
  • CaffeinatedRats
    CaffeinatedRats Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hydroxycut had to take out all the effective ingredients years back, and now they're just super caffeine pills with other unproven herbal stuff.

If you need a boost of energy with a bit of appetite suppressant, try some coffee/tea instead. :smiley:

Others have said all that needs to be said about alli. :open_mouth:
  • cashidy
    cashidy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I made a mistake :(
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    You could be successful losing weight on children's aspirin, as long as you're eating fewer calories than you burn.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    For Alli, do the math.

It works by blocking some of the fat you eat from being absorbed. BUT taking in too much fat per meal/snack can have horrible side effects. (As in, carry a change of underwear.) You'd need to limit your fat intake to something like 50-60 grams per day, and then 25% of that would be blocked. If you do the math it results in about 1 pound per month of blocked calories. Alli's greatest success in terms of weight loss, perhaps, is that it makes you afraid to eat too much fat so as to avoid the side effects. BUT you need fat. Blocking the fat could also prevent your body from absorbing some vitamins and nutrients.

If you do need extra accountability there are apps like DietBet, StepBet or Pact where you set yourself up for financial penalties if you don't meet your objectives.

And pants. And socks and shoes, just to be safe.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options

I remember that thread. lol.

Yeah, best to avoid anything that makes you poo yourself.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    cashidy wrote: »
    I made a mistake :(
    :O Which one did you try?

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    OMcheeses I was hoping someone would post this thread. Such great stories.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Fear the shart. The shart is real.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Any opportunity to post this :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU5zEe0j7uM