Will I always need a scale?

Options
ksmommy5
ksmommy5 Posts: 142 Member
I am meticulously weighing everything for the last 65 days.
When did you stop weighing your foods? I really hope I will not need to weigh everything forever...that doesn't seem like a realistic lifestyle change. I can't picture myself at 70 busting out the scale for my 5 almonds lol
When did you become confident enough in eyeballing accuracies?

Replies

• fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I will never stop logging my food. It's something I have to do, to manage my weight - I know this and I am fine with it. Weighing my food goes along with that. Nothing unrealistic about it, in my opinion. So, for me, I will always need the scale.
  • laurabadams
    laurabadams Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I will never stop logging my food. It's something I have to do, to manage my weight - I know this and I am fine with it. Weighing my food goes along with that. Nothing unrealistic about it, in my opinion. So, for me, I will always need the scale.

Agreed. I'll stop weighing & logging when I'm ready to gain all my weight back.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I'm weighing what I can't count. I weighed everything during my weight loss phase, and I've maintained my weight for almost 2 1/2 years because I take care to eat appropriate portions. What is it about weighing that you find not realistic?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I've been in maintenance 4 years and still weigh the odd thing - pasta /rice. I've got to know how to eye ball portion size almost perfectly.
  • Jezreel12
    Jezreel12 Posts: 246 Member
    Options

I agree with the fact that the scale and logging is my new friendly reality in my life and I'm happy with it because of the the results I get. I know others like the idea of intuitive eating (not logging or weighing but eye estimating and body listening to ones needs of food) and that's fine if they are comfortable with it and the results it derives. I know some people become anxious or obsessed about logging and weighing and therefore they part ways with this also and walk in to intuitive eating because of the freestyle and freedom it affords without triggering their obsession or anxiety, and this is perfect too. We all should follow what it's best emotionally and physically for our goals and needs, and there is no one way to arriving to ones goals.
    To me I'm the most free and happy logging and weighing, and I could not be any happier plus I have seen results doing it.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I have been logging for ell over 3 years now. I have learned where I need the scale and where I don't. I don't weigh everything anymore, but for breakfast I will. I generally also weigh meats and my pasta/rice etc. Those are the ones where it really adds too quickly.
    I do audit myself - so every week or so I will fully weigh out everything for a day just to see if my eyeballing is still accurate (it is).
    In part it is dictated by life - At present I am not 100% in control for some lunches due to a course I am taking. I take it into my stride, log as much as I can and that is that.

Having said all that I will continue to use my scale a lot lot more than before MFP. I find it incredibly useful and no hassle
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    I've been weighing food for nine years. I've maintained my weight except for when I try to go freestyle. I know the portions and I know what to eat but if I don't weigh and log it I get the fun task of losing that last ten pesky pounds. Again. It's hard to lose that last ten. I don't want to play that game again. It takes me an extra 10 seconds to weigh it as I'm making my meals. It takes two or three minutes to log each meal. It's just part of the day, and worth it to maintain my weight.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    ksmommy5 wrote: »
    I am meticulously weighing everything for the last 65 days.
    When did you stop weighing your foods? I really hope I will not need to weigh everything forever...that doesn't seem like a realistic lifestyle change. I can't picture myself at 70 busting out the scale for my 5 almonds lol
    When did you become confident enough in eyeballing accuracies?

It's not going to be the same for everyone. Some people cook food everyday and don't weigh or measure anything that goes in to their recipes. Other people could never cook or bake without their weights and measures.

Same for weighing your food for calorie counting. You'll know when your guesses become fairly accurate. If you're not losing weight, it means you may be underestimating the items you enter on your chart, so you should stick to using the scales. If all is going well, then you're probably able to skip that process.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    The scale is still on my counter after 5 years but no I don't weigh everything anymore.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh anything at all so it's possible!!
  • mrschwarten
    mrschwarten Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Jezreel12 wrote: »
    I agree with the fact that the scale and logging is my new friendly reality in my life and I'm happy with it because of the the results I get. I know others like the idea of intuitive eating (not logging or weighing but eye estimating and body listening to ones needs of food) and that's fine if they are comfortable with it and the results it derives. I know some people become anxious or obsessed about logging and weighing and therefore they part ways with this also and walk in to intuitive eating because of the freestyle and freedom it affords without triggering their obsession or anxiety, and this is perfect too. We all should follow what it's best emotionally and physically for our goals and needs, and there is no one way to arriving to ones goals.

This is put wonderfully. For me, logging and weighing is a pain; I found over time I was taking shortcuts, fibbing, and flat-out not doing it. It worked wonderfully at first, though, and I am grateful for the lessons it taught me. And just like you, OP, it was not a sustainable lifestyle change for me. Now I only measure pasta, rice, & potatoes, because I've found that I struggle with those portions. But I don't struggle with anything else, so I don't bother with anything else. Find a comfortable place for you, no matter what anyone else says. Good luck! :smiley:

• Jezreel12
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    I've been doing this for a good 8 years or so. I hate it. I try to stop, and start gaining. I think I'm in for the long haul if I want to avoid health problems. Why is being 70 and weighing food a problem? It's funny how people view others that care about their health. It's not always for vanity. It's feel good to be healthy. I hope when I'm 70, I'm weigh food and exercising, and completely free from taking medications. That's more important than worrying about what people think about me weighing my chicken portion.

Look, people think that watching what you eat is for vanity. It's is for some, but that's not completely why I do it. And, at 70, I'll likely be doing it purely for health reasons.

If all I have to do to avoid increasing medical costs is weigh my food and eat proper portions, it's totally worth a few @$$ hats thinking I'm weird.

I completely agree with you about it.

• jacobsl221
    jacobsl221 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm 67 and I weigh things. No big deal.
  • Jezreel12
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Thank you mrschwarten for you sharing what works for you. I have noticed that people in the event of becoming healthy or fit, like to dictate that their way is the only way. This behavior of telling people what works for them so it should work for you is not respectful or caring but dictatorial and controlling. We all have our own unique journey and this, like our individuality, should be respected.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh anything at all. I did buy a scale but I never did buy batteries for it. Most days I don't log either.

Different people need different things. IMO it is worth at least trying to transition off weighing food. If you find that you're gaining, you can always start again.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm closing in on 3 years of weighing and logging. It's become such a habit, that i dont even think about it anymore. It's just normal part of my food prep.