How many of you guys still drink while dieting?

Options

Replies

• Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I stopped when I started my weight loss journey as I decided that the calories weren't worth it.

I'm now on medication that prohibits alcohol anyway.

I don't miss it at all.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I don't drink, if I did it would be hard to fit those calories in I think.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Just good strategy if you drink: Don't do it before bed. Alcohol HAS to be metabolized since it cannot be stored in the body. While being metabolized, NO OTHER ENERGY SOURCE is being used. Since the majority of BODY FAT is lost when you sleep, drinking alcohol before bed will inhibit this from happening.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

How many hours prior to sleep is considered "before bed"?
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,160 Member
    Options
    Dieting- I drank occasionally while fitting in calories. But on Fitness: I very rarely drink as my alcohol tolerance is tremendously low now. I would rather eat!
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    2wxpmvcws2ot.jpg

Obviously running for the Stolly and Bolly.

Cheers, h.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I drank 10 low carb beers on Saturday. I did intermittent fasting, ate a big protein packed dinner, walked for an hour and a bit for extra calories, and ate wen I got home. I was still at my calorie allowance for the day. I also "banked" calories during the week. I indulged and planned for it.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Just good strategy if you drink: Don't do it before bed. Alcohol HAS to be metabolized since it cannot be stored in the body. While being metabolized, NO OTHER ENERGY SOURCE is being used. Since the majority of BODY FAT is lost when you sleep, drinking alcohol before bed will inhibit this from happening.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I've seen so many times, on these forums, it doesn't matter what time u eat. As long as you're under calorie. Alcohol is part of calorie counting. So if I drank an hr before bed, or ate an hour before bed, is this hindering my progress?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Rarely.... I have better things to spend my calories on.
  • emilyvictoria7
    emilyvictoria7 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've only allowed myself to have one beer in the last 99 days I've been logging and it has been ROUGH. Although, now as I'm thinking about it, it has gotten a lot easier. I haven't had any pop or juice during this time either and I think I've just adapted to not drinking my calories!
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    miinanov wrote: »
    It's so hard because wine has so many calories :neutral:

I don't care for wine or beer so that makes it much easier. An occasional rum and diet Coke (like maybe once every couple of months) is all I drink. I would much rather spend what precious calories I have on FOOD!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    A glass of wine is about ~125 cals/ 5 oz glass. I wouldn't call that "so many calories" unless you are drinking a bottle at a time.

I fit in a glass or two most nights while I was losing, and in maintenance I have a couple glasses several times a week.

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I stopped for the first 6 months while i got my dieting and relationship with food down, Now i have a rule only once a week, And never by myself. I walk ALOT to make up for it
  • sybillabryson
    sybillabryson Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I found that alcohol calories are not equal to others. Alcohol does terrible things to my metabolism. When i was losing weight (im pregnant now) I could do everything the same (90 minutes 5 days a week intense cardio, 1500 calories) and if i had even two drinks i would maintain or gain and i always calculated it into my calorie allowance for the day. The math didn't add up because i was losing 1 to 2 pounds every week during that time. I tried several different things to enable me to drink (count alcohol as double calories, drink early in the day, only drink with a meal, only drink before working out) and nothing worked. So I had to quit but not everyone has this experience.
  • TheRambler
    TheRambler Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I don't....but I did tonight :) just a lil bit, but it is going a long way . woops
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Not a big drinker in the sense that I don't have wine with dinner etc. I'm more of a twice a year drink till I vomit kinda girl so I don't mind to do that a couple times lol
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I cut drinking when I was first trying to lose weight, simply because they were easy calories to cut. But the longer I went without drinking, the less I miss it. My body just feels better. I sleep better, I get up earlier, I'm more hydrated. I honestly don't miss it. I will still have the occasional drink with friends, or a beach cocktail, and a pizza and beer date night, but more on unique occasions. When I do drink, I feel so crappy after that pretty much deters me from having again any time soon.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Personally, I've only had a few drinks since I started losing weight. Alcohol makes me much more likely to indulge in food naughties while I'm under the influence, a double whammy. I want to get to my goal as quickly as possible.

I'm reserving regular use of alcohol for when I'm in maintenance mode, and have some margin.