Someone please help me understand why aspartame or Splenda is somehow bad for me?

124»

Replies

• KhaleesiBlue
    KhaleesiBlue Posts: 13 Member
    i try not to eat a lot of artificial sugars, BUT, I love my diet dr pepper. I feel guilty when I drink it, but I'm not willing to give it up lol. I don't drink regular pop because it's too many calories and sugar. I don't like to drink my calories. Makes me feel better that maybe aspartame isn't that bad.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Idk because it makes the feel good to think they're nutritionally elite? It's annoying af.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    Artificial is just that artificial. The body doesn't recognize them and can cause actual weight gain, like most diet products.
    No. Making uneducated guesses here without actual evidence is just an opinion.
    If you are concerned research and learn. Do it for you not bc of your friends.
    HOW one researches matters. Many just "google" and go off articles and non peer reviewed clinical information. Not the way to research.
    I found stevia in the raw works for me. Aspartame I cannot consume bc it's causes me upset stomach and it's been linked to cause cancer, migraine, weight gain etc. and some studies show a link between its affect on autoimmune disease. Should not be consumed by individuals with pkd (containing phenylalanine) who have tardive dyskinisia or schizophrenia as it can affect medicine for it and make effects worse.
    That would be PKU not PKD and if we avoided anything "linked" to cancer, migraines and weight gain, it would likely be everything.
    It's really up to you to make the call what's right for you not anyone else and make an informed decision what you wish to put in your body. I choose not to use artificial sweeteners but I don't push that onto anyone else if they want to know they ask. And that's that. Blessings on your journey
    No one can really get pushed into something they don't want to do. But it is IMPORTANT to give actual correct information for people to make an informed decision.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• inertiastrength
    There was a girl I used to work with who always made a comment about my Splenda and Wendy's chilli habit. She'd sit at her desk and sip a green concoction deemed healthy by her. In 2 years I never saw her lose a lb and she was probably about 300lbs. I bet she was no doubt one of those "at least I'm healthy" girls. Martyring their physical appearance in the name of health lol
  • ninerbuff
    fascha wrote: »
    There was a girl I used to work with who always made a comment about my Splenda and Wendy's chilli habit. She'd sit at her desk and sip a green concoction deemed healthy by her. In 2 years I never saw her lose a lb and she was probably about 300lbs. I bet she was no doubt one of those "at least I'm healthy" girls. Martyring their physical appearance in the name of health lol
    Lol, there are lots of them. It's amusing to watch people's faces when they hear how I actually eat, then have them try to explain to me why it's "unhealthy". Yesterday for dinner I had a calorie bomb with 2 Chik Fil A sandwiches, fries and a large chocolate shake. I went over my calories by 1200. Burned some of it off dancing at a concert last night (MORRIS DAY and THE TIME), but not a "healthy" meal in many eyes whatsoever.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• inertiastrength
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lol, there are lots of them. It's amusing to watch people's faces when they hear how I actually eat, then have them try to explain to me why it's "unhealthy". Yesterday for dinner I had a calorie bomb with 2 Chik Fil A sandwiches, fries and a large chocolate shake. I went over my calories by 1200. Burned some of it off dancing at a concert last night (MORRIS DAY and THE TIME), but not a "healthy" meal in many eyes whatsoever.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

> drinks half her days calories in a smoothie but hey, it's green so lol

Smh
  • fascha wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Smh

Shaming her is no different from her shaming you. Just sayin'!
  • robertengelhart
    robertengelhart Posts: 1 Member
    I learned in a weight loss class sponsored by the Veterans Admin. ("MOVE" program) that artificial sweeteners increase or trigger your want to eat! It is true in my case doing a little test of my own.

I was surprised.

Rob
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    I learned in a weight loss class sponsored by the Veterans Admin. ("MOVE" program) that artificial sweeteners increase or trigger your want to eat! It is true in my case doing a little test of my own.

I was surprised.

Rob

No.

But it may be the placebo effect- they suggested it so you expected it to happen.
  • inertiastrength

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Smh

You're right but I'm sure she doesn't know I'm talking about her on a message board years later while she did it to my face sipping on green juice thinking she was being healthy. Ironic that she stayed fat and I actually got healthy lol
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member

I was surprised.

Rob

They've never triggered my desire to eat.

Actually, I find they really help!
  • fascha wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Smh

You're right but I'm sure she doesn't know I'm talking about her on a message board years later while she did it to my face sipping on green juice thinking she was being healthy. Ironic that she stayed fat and I actually got healthy lol

I never buy into that whole "healthy at every size" idea.

And you know, one day you just may see her around here because maybe she is now diabetic and has varying other physical problems because her obesity and finally sees the light!
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member

I was surprised.

Rob

They've never triggered my desire to eat.

Actually, I find they really help!

When I started drinking diet soda my cravings for sweets actually decreased and my appetite decreased also. I think it really is a placebo effect.
  • ninerbuff

I was surprised.

Rob
    Lol, the smell of food alone triggers me. I just learned how to control HOW MUCH I eat.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member

I was surprised.

Rob

In my case, the want to eat (especially sweets, but really anything) can be combatted with a diet soda. It's one of those "try and see" things, but expecting a certain outcome can skew the result of your experiment
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    dudebro200 wrote: »
    Artificial is just that artificial. The body doesn't recognize them and can cause actual weight gain, like most diet products. If you are concerned research and learn. Do it for you not bc of your friends. I found stevia in the raw works for me. Aspartame I cannot consume bc it's causes me upset stomach and it's been linked to cause cancer, migraine, weight gain etc. and some studies show a link between its affect on autoimmune disease. Should not be consumed by individuals with pkd (containing phenylalanine) who have tardive dyskinisia or schizophrenia as it can affect medicine for it and make effects worse.

It's really up to you to make the call what's right for you not anyone else and make an informed decision what you wish to put in your body. I choose not to use artificial sweeteners but I don't push that onto anyone else if they want to know they ask. And that's that. Blessings on your journey

This response is exactly what I was talking about as the OP. Where can research and learn without being subjected to unverified claims ?

Separate the facts from the fearmongering. Here's a link to a 93-page PDF file, which contains numerous peer-reviewed scientific studies specifically and thoroughly addressing the safety of aspartame: http://seriecientifica.org/sites/default/files/scl_enc_butchko.pdf

From the introduction portion of the document:
    The conclusion of this up-to-date review is in agreement with that of international regulatory agencies and
    expert committees: the weight of scientific evidence is clear that aspartame is safe for its intended use. The one
    exception is patients with the rare genetic disease, phenylketonuria, which is diagnosed at birth in the United
    States, Canada, Europe, and some other countries. These individuals are treated with low phenylalanine diets
    for a period of years, and while on this diet, they are required to monitor their phenylalanine intake from all
    dietary sources, including aspartame.

After 30 plus years of rigorous scientific research, it is time to put questions of aspartame safety to rest. It
    is difficult to identify any dietary constituent that has been more thoroughly evaluated than aspartame. The
    breadth and depth of scientific data available on aspartame and reviewed here are unlikely to exist for any other
    food additive. The continuing debate over such a “nonissue” only serves to divert attention and the allocation of
    resources from more important health issues that need to be addressed.