The hardest stage/part

Options
For those that have succeded in staying on track, what was or is your hardest obstical to overcome and how did you get past it? Im having a ton of sugar cravings.

Replies

• Okohme
    Okohme Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Sugar cravings were hard for me, too. Fruit helped a lot. Also, fruit + yogurt, or fruit + cottage cheese. Carrots are great, you can steam them with cinnamon and nutmeg. Once apart from daily doses of the refined over-processed garbage foods, you may find you crave them less, I did. I still lose my everloving mind when it comes to cinnamon bears. I just can't have them around the house.
  • fostersu
    fostersu Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Burn out. Or really more likely a change of routine or schedule. I've been on the school schedule in grad school/teaching for the last few years and while I do great in the fall and spring all the breaks and holidays over winter and summer vacation really throw me off and make it hard to keep going without backtracking seriously
  • Lucy1752
    Lucy1752 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Snacks. I am a grazer and the mental hurdle to not pick up snacks was/is difficult. Sometimes I still find myself in the cupboard in the evening and wonder how I got there? I don't remember deciding to snack but there I stand.

Mindfulness is something I have to practice every day.

@Okohme I really like frozen blueberries in yogurt!

I was not a breakfast person either @JeromeBarry1 but found myself not snacking at work if I incorporate it.

Schedule upheaval would not sit well with me either @fostersu . Some people call it being in a rut to do the same foods regularly. I call it consistency and calming. I have my plan, I work my plan.

Good topic @kittycat1116 !
  • jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    fostersu wrote: »
    Burn out. Or really more likely a change of routine or schedule. I've been on the school schedule in grad school/teaching for the last few years and while I do great in the fall and spring all the breaks and holidays over winter and summer vacation really throw me off and make it hard to keep going without backtracking seriously

Oh man I totally agree about this! I'm also a grad student. I'm teaching a summer course this year, though, so that might help me stay in somewhat of a routine. I spend most of my breaks sitting in my parents' house just resting my brain and visiting family and friends, which means stopping by old favorite restaurants, m and not moving as much as I should for weeks or months on end. Just being uprooted to go home is enough to throw me off.

For the OP, my biggest obstacle is that I'm nearing the end, funnily enough. So not only am I becoming kinda mentally sick of restricting my calories, but I also need to be extra careful to accurately log since losing the last 10 pounds or so will require absolutely hitting my small deficit every week.
  • NavajoGirl85
    NavajoGirl85 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Salty or saucy foods definitely. Nothing tasted better than a bag of chips or pasta to me. Now I buy low sodium crackers, and eat black bean pasta.
  • fostersu
    fostersu Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    caramel827 wrote: »
    It blows my mind now that my body can stay... stable (off word choice I know lol).

This. I've been so up and down and everywhere that staying even...maintaining seems totally foreign
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Hardest thing for me was consistency!!! Exercising and eating. I don't always feel like working out and I don't always feel like making the healthier food choice.

Balance is key for me right now. I am not prepping for some competition or a particular date (like wedding or something) so I figure I don't need to be losing 1 to 2 lbs a week. I can do this at my own pace. I have my weight loss set to losing 0.5 lb a week (only have 15 lbs to lose). I eat pretty clean during the week and allow myself a cheat meal on the weekend, this has helped prevent me from binging. Before I would try the all or nothing and end up pigging out and get discouraged. My relationship with food has improved.

I do have a wicked sweet tooth, but through practice I have learned the above -balance. Sometimes I will have a couple pieces of chocolate or wait until my "splurge" meal and have half of an oreo brownie sundae! Hang in there
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I took the baby step approach to my nutrition and fitness and didn't really try to force whole sale changes overnight. I also didn't eliminate things or look to fully avoid certain things...I focused on just eating less in terms of "discretionary" calories and improving my nutrition overall, over time. I didn't really have much in the way of struggles other than not being able to eat as much as I would generally have preferred.
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    the emotional roller-coaster. getting on tje scale after a great week and being up or the same. I learned that the scale is only one tool and it doesn't define my mood. Just because the stupid scale didn't move doesn't mean I failed this week. I jave learned to look at all tje nsv. I lost 65 pounds from may to Dec and have lost nothing from January 5th to now....sometimes I forget tje scale doesn't matter and my health trumps that son of a kitten scale
  • goalpeace
    goalpeace Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Alcohol :# I have too much of a social life revolved around alcohol!
  • NavajoGirl85
    NavajoGirl85 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Hardest part for me is probably consistent excercise. I will go at it for 2 weeks and then I'll just be like blah. I stay under my calories especially on those days so I'm still losing weight even when I don't excercise. It's more of a mind thing when I don't excersice because even though I know I'll still lose weight I feel that I'm slacking. I usually only take a couple days off then get back to 4-5 days of excercise. If I had to name another one, when my family gets together they are big eaters. They get together and everyone brings a dish and they just eat eat eat. However, I have just started bringing veggie and fruit trays to the gatherings that way I have some choices.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Easily the hardest part for me was the first 3 or 4 weeks once switching to super low carb. But so worth it to finally conquer that gnawing hunger that comes with the carb rollercoaster (sugar spike -> insulin spike ->hunger). Now that I burn fat rather than sugar I am able to control my eating, after 20 years of being at the mercy of food. I'm 4 years solid low carb now, and I'd NEVER go back.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance and sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's a challenge, but being mindful of your choices is key. And not letting those few pounds become 5 and then 10....

Overall, the toughest part of "the journey" has been just relaxing about the whole thing. Patience really pays off here. No need to white-knuckle it or put your life on hold. Relax, take your time and know that losing 5 pounds in a month or a year is only a win if you keep it off.

Best of luck. Have some fun along the way and set yourself up for success in the long run.
  • kittycat1116
    kittycat1116 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Okohme wrote: »
    Sugar cravings were hard for me, too. Fruit helped a lot. Also, fruit + yogurt, or fruit + cottage cheese. Carrots are great, you can steam them with cinnamon and nutmeg. Once apart from daily doses of the refined over-processed garbage foods, you may find you crave them less, I did. I still lose my everloving mind when it comes to cinnamon bears. I just can't have them around the house.

I feel ya! My favorite is gum drops. I did turn down cookies last night. Haha. Baby steps.right?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!