Had my metabolism tested - interesting results and some questions

After struggling with getting any progress with my weight loss, I decided to have it tested. I went to a facility that does it with the Korr machine - supposed to be highly reliable and accurate.

Anyway, I had some pretty surprising results, but also have some questions, and I'm wondering if anyone here has any insight.

My RMR was tested at 1800, and put me at the slightly higher than average mark. That surprised me! Especially being hypothyroid!

I've been eating 1600 and not losing, which seemed odd. I'm 5'8", 233lbs., goal weight around 160. The woman who ran the test said that on the days I don't exercise, I should eat 1800 calories and on the days I do, I should eat 2100.

Here are my questions:
1) On the sheet she gave me, which has the printout from the machine, it says that maintenance calories for me is 1800-2340 and that weight loss would be at 1440-1800. But she said that I need to be eating either 1800 or 2100 to lose, depending on my exercise. I'm wondering why she would come up with different numbers than the machine suggested?

2) If my RMR is 1800 and I was eating 1600 and it comes down to calories in vs. calories out, shouldn’t I still have been losing something at that level? Even if it wasn’t the healthiest for my body, etc. shouldn’t I have been losing weight because I was burning more than I was taking in? I thought at first, well, I was slowing my metabolism down, but it was measured at 1800 so it obviously wasn’t slowing down to under the amount I was eating - if that makes sense?

Any insight?

Replies

• Allegi32
    Allegi32 Posts: 302 Member
    edited March 2017
    How were you getting the 1600 calories eaten? At that small a difference, logging errors can easily account for not losing. Do you have a food scale? A 200 cal difference would be less than a 1/2 lb per week.

No idea why she would tell you to eat at maintenance if you want to lose weight. Sounds daft to me.

I literally weigh and measure everything that goes into your mouth. When it says 1 tablespoon of peanut butter? I weight it instead of using the tablespoon to make it more accurate. There is no way I could be more anal about measuring my food, LOL.

RMR is just if I were to lie in bed 24 hours a day. So that's just to exist. Add on lifestyle calories (like my daily activities) and exercise, and my actual calories burned is much higher. So at 1600 calories eaten, I definitely was creating more than a 200 calorie deficit.
  • Allegi32
    Allegi32 Posts: 302 Member
    as to her recommendations - its hard to say because we don't know her qualifications or reasoning. If your TDEE is 1800-2340 depending on exercise then eating below TDEE should result in weight loss.

As to the accuracy of the machine: I have no idea. Will trust you've done your research there. :)

As to eating 1600 without results: how accurate was the 1600, and for how long did you eat at 1600 without weight loss. And was it no loss, or just not as much as you expected?

Over the course of 1 1/2 months, I haven't lost anything.

Her claim was that I'm eating not only below my TDEE but below my RMR, and apparently that's why I wasn't losing, but that also doesn't make sense to me.

Answer above about the accuracy of my calorie intake.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited March 2017
    Maybe open your diary and some smarter than me people can have a look. But, honestly, if your numbers are correct, you would have lost a bit of weight. SO something is off either in what the machine told you or your logging.
  • bloodsy
    bloodsy Posts: 34 Member
    What's your macros like? Protein/Fat/Carbs?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    If your RMR is 1800 then 1800 is not maintenance, even on days when you don't exercise. If you are accurately measuring calories in then you should be able to eat 1800 and lose weight. Lower than that should give you faster results.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    bloodsy wrote: »
    Macro splits are irrelevant to weight loss. Important for other things but not as an explanation for not losing.

It's not irrelevant at all, you will lose weight faster with a diet that consists of 50P / 30F / 20C rather than 10P / 30F / 60C even if the calories are the same.

Nope.

Agreed- big nope!