Curious?

Options
I've been working out at least 5-6 times a week (switching between cardio and weight sessions), all on top of working. I eat by a strict diet and have no reason to not be improving. However my weight hasn't shifted in a couple weeks and it goes up and down a couple pounds every time I weigh myself (which I try not to to too often as I know water weight and time of day can effect it).

I've been unable to log any weight loss for a long while and not sure what could be contributing to it due to my lifestyle.

Is it possible to be all water weight due to the mass amount of water I drink? My calories are always logged below too and I eat 4 small balanced nutritious meals a day. I also fee as though I am water bloated quite often but always hungry...

Any tips folks?

Replies

• KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Assuming you are weighing, logging, using accurate entries etc...

I would say it's water retention from the exercise at the gym. Your body holds water for muscle repair which can artificially inflate the scale.

I'm stuck in the same spot too, doing exactly the same as I did to lose 12kg previously and now that I'm doing my first post-bulk cut I'm stuck around a number. However, I have massively increased my exercise and whilst I am not seeing results on the scale, I'm seeing them in the mirror.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    HappieRosy wrote: »
    I've been working out at least 5-6 times a week (switching between cardio and weight sessions), all on top of working. I eat by a strict diet and have no reason to not be improving. However my weight hasn't shifted in a couple weeks and it goes up and down a couple pounds every time I weigh myself (which I try not to to too often as I know water weight and time of day can effect it).

I've been unable to log any weight loss for a long while and not sure what could be contributing to it due to my lifestyle.

Is it possible to be all water weight due to the mass amount of water I drink? My calories are always logged below too and I eat 4 small balanced nutritious meals a day. I also fee as though I am water bloated quite often but always hungry...

Any tips folks?
    Give us some more information. What is your current height/weight and how many calories per day are you eating? Are you logging accurately? Are you weighing your food on a scale? Drinking lots of water helps with water retention, it doesn't cause it. You can retain water from exercising but that usually only happens when you first start exercising and it goes away as you keep doing it.

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    If you started a new exercise routine, you can definitely retain water. I will put on 2-3lbs for at least 3-6 weeks every single time I start a new program, even if it is so similar to what I am already doing, I just add a little more volume and BAM water weight. However, this doesn't make me feel bloated, just "pumped" (my muscles look plump and full).. If you feel bloated maybe take a look at your sodium, fibre, dairy.. this can cause bloating in some. Also if you are around your TOM, hormone changes, etc.

Also, the closer you get to goal weight the more accurate you have to be. If you aren't losing, then you are eating more than you think, even if it's nutritious meals. Tighten up your tracking, you can also be overestimating your calorie burns so keep that in mind too.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Don't even bother weighing at any other time than first thing in the morning, after peeing, naked. No idea why people do this and drive themselves crazy.
  • HappieRosy
    HappieRosy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »

Any tips folks?
    Give us some more information. What is your current height/weight and how many calories per day are you eating? Are you logging accurately? Are you weighing your food on a scale? Drinking lots of water helps with water retention, it doesn't cause it. You can retain water from exercising but that usually only happens when you first start exercising and it goes away as you keep doing it.

I am currently 126lbs aiming to shift the last 6. Several times this week I have weighed myself to log my progress and been on occasion up to 4lbs up. I don't ever weigh my food as I don't have a scale, but little and often meals and I fraction and divide to gain an insight of how much I'm consuming.
  • vismal
    Options

Any tips folks?

I am currently 126lbs aiming to shift the last 6. Several times this week I have weighed myself to log my progress and been on occasion up to 4lbs up. I don't ever weigh my food as I don't have a scale, but little and often meals and I fraction and divide to gain an insight of how much I'm consuming.
    Eating small meals often does not help with weight loss. The only way to lose weight over the long run is to consume fewer calories per day than you burn. If you don't know how many calories a day you are eating it's going to be almost impossible to know if you are eating less than you are burning. How tall are you? At 126 lbs, depending on your height, weight loss might not even be the best idea to achieve a desired body composition.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    If that's a picture of you, I see a young lady who is and should be maintaining her present weight. Get a weight trending app on your phone and keep track of your weight, don't let life or social pressure force to to gain or lose a stone.
  • HappieRosy
    edited March 2017
    Options

Any tips folks?

Eating small meals often does not help with weight loss. The only way to lose weight over the long run is to consume fewer calories per day than you burn. If you don't know how many calories a day you are eating it's going to be almost impossible to know if you are eating less than you are burning. How tall are you? At 126 lbs, depending on your height, weight loss might not even be the best idea to achieve a desired body composition.

My height is 5"6. I'm always 200-500cal under my goal (which does allow the non-accurate measurements to go over slightly if not logged right) even by unaccurate measurements I would assume I'd still be losing.

Muscle heavier than fat? And chance the combination of training muscles and holding water could cause these fluctuations? Thanks :)
  • vismal
    Options
    A lb of muscle weighs 1 lb. A lb of fat weighs 1 lb. You aren't gaining muscles if you aren't eating in a surplus. At 5'6 126 lbs my guess is you do not need to lose more weight. What goal are you trying to achieve?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    As I said in your last post--you look thin, and don't need to lose weight. That's why it's hard to lose any more. Look into recomp and stay healthy.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Your weight is in the low end of you healthy BMI range at 126 (20.3). This makes weight loss much harder than if you were over weight.

Over two weeks, normal water weight fluctuations can easily mask weight loss-even for someone significantly overweight.

Although you have not given your calorie goal, I wonder if 200-500 calories under it provides you with enough nutrition.

Digital scales are inexpensive and well worth it.
  • HappieRosy
    Options
    A lb of muscle weighs 1 lb. A lb of fat weighs 1 lb. You aren't gaining muscles if you aren't eating in a surplus. At 5'6 126 lbs my guess is you do not need to lose more weight. What goal are you trying to achieve?

My goal weight is 120lbs. With this weight I had then planned on then focusing on muscle mass after.
  • HappieRosy
    Options
    RobD520 wrote: »
    Your weight is in the low end of you healthy BMI range at 126 (20.3). This makes weight loss much harder than if you were over weight.

Over two weeks, normal water weight fluctuations can easily mask weight loss-even for someone significantly overweight.

Although you have not given your calorie goal, I wonder if 200-500 calories under it provides you with enough nutrition.

I have a pair of digital and manual scales here, I was always weighing myself with the electric until I was weighed by a doctor and told I was lighter than I thought; and that measurement was the same as on my manual so I've stuck with that since as it is more accurate than electric to me.

Do you think electric may be more accurate? I've tried several types of electric and they always say I'm heavier than mine tell me, not the best motivation to weigh with an electric anymore haha
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    RobD520 wrote: »

I have a pair of digital and manual scales here, I was always weighing myself with the electric until I was weighed by a doctor and told I was lighter than I thought; and that measurement was the same as on my manual so I've stuck with that since as it is more accurate than electric to me.

Do you think electric may be more accurate? I've tried several types of electric and they always say I'm heavier than mine tell me, not the best motivation to weigh with an electric anymore haha

I meant a digital food scale. It is very difficult to count calories without weighing.
  • vismal
    Options

My goal weight is 120lbs. With this weight I had then planned on then focusing on muscle mass after.
    I'd focus on the muscle mass now. Losing another 6 lbs is going to be very difficult and probably completely unnecessary.

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

At this point if I were you, I would focus on body recomposition. If you go that low, you will probably lose more muscle and believe me losing it then having to build it back up again is not fun (been there, done that).