Gym Question....

Replies

• diezel67
    diezel67 Posts: 97 Member
    Shoot that goes on everywhere lol...have fun!
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Thehardmakesitworthit Posts: 838 Member
    Yep.
    My favorite are people that make up exercises. Because the ones that have proven to work for hundreds of years apparently are not good enough.

Okay, can I just say that some things I see people doing are just ridiculous??? At first I thought well, I must be old and that is a new thing but the more I watch....common sense prevails and I carry on. LOL
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member

These "real life example" videos are in poor taste and the people recording ought to be ashamed. Can't stand that people would record others during their workout just to get a laugh. It's creepy too.

I actually have a sense of humor (despite what the above post would lead people to believe).

I was filmed by a perv at the gym as I was doing squats one night. He was on a bench at the Smith Machine and I looked up. Dude was wearing sunglasses, pointing his phone right at me and rubbing his junk through his shorts. I reported him to the front desk. It was a horrible experience, so I can now totally relate to your comment. Yeah, some people have crappy form or don't use the equipment properly, and it can be funny, but a lot of times in those videos someone got hurt. Like really hurt, and that isn't funny. At least not to me.

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Yes, but in fairness, I people-watch everywhere. People are interesting.

Agreed. I'm not really making judgments so much as just noticing the people and activities occurring around me. Maybe I can learn a thing or two. I refuse to stare at the floor just so I don't accidentally make someone uncomfortable because I happen to lay eyes upon them. People can look at me all they want. I just take it as a compliment, because I mostly just assume they are thinking positive things. And if they aren't, that's their problem, not mine. ;)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Yep.
    My favorite are people that make up exercises. Because the ones that have proven to work for hundreds of years apparently are not good enough.

Just out of curiousity.. how do you know it is made up? What are some examples? I mean unless it is an unsafe use of equipment or something.

Some of the moves I do are different/bizarre.. and I always find new variations and improvements to add to my routine.

+1
    Single leg push downs on the assisted pull up machine are awesome.
    And standing leg curls using the leg extension machine.

Last week at the gym, there were these two chicks hogging the assisted pull up machine basically doing cardio with those single leg pushdown things. It was taking them forever to get through what seemed like supersets of a hundred, meanwhile a line was forming waiting for them to leave. :p

I figure if you don't know how to use a piece of equipment, just ask. The gym employees are really nice about it.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    I not only watch people...I give the semi-regulars nicknames, like: Hat Guy, Hat Guy's friend, Dunkin Donuts Dude, My Boyfriend, My Other Boyfriend. Most of these are self-explanatory

I nick-name as well there's CurlBro, CurlBroTwo, Brosey-Bro, SHB (standard hot blond), Cheeks, SITONMYLAP!! and some others.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    I not only watch people...I give the semi-regulars nicknames, like: Hat Guy, Hat Guy's friend, Dunkin Donuts Dude, My Boyfriend, My Other Boyfriend. Most of these are self-explanatory

Hahahaha. I love this.
    I have used "gym crush" to refer to people more than once, gym crush's girlfriend (but not really, I don't think..), Ginger guy, Ginger guy's brother, big dude.., but usually I don't name them unless there's something really remarkable.
    When I actually learned one guys name I was like this is not ok you will continue to be nameless.
  • PinkamenaD8
    PinkamenaD8 Posts: 99 Member
    Staring is normal, you can have an idea of the people around you and I think it isn't being judgamental but taking videos is unrespectful and creepy.

• MattReeceCPT
    MattReeceCPT Posts: 163 Member
    I absolutely do watch people. I do believe it's due to human nature, but part of mine is that I'm a newly certified personal trainer and I haven't built the confidence to take on clients yet... I often find myself playing games like, "What would I have this client do next?" or "How could I help this client's form?" Breaks up the monotony a bit.
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    I train in a kickboxing gym as my main source of exercise and those of us who have been there awhile/training for belts are all constantly judging each other's form and critiquing it because our partners can see what we can't. Some of the newer people seem to be taken aback by it and can take it negatively but it's all said and done to improve a person's form and skill so they don't hurt themselves. No one comes to learn a *kitten* jab, y'know. But in general I do look around the room and people watch a bit, particularly when the guys train in the mixed class because they do the excessive loud grunting thing that all men do when they punch and kick things. It does help your breathing but it sounds ridiculous. XD
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    I nick-name as well there's CurlBro, CurlBroTwo, Brosey-Bro, SHB (standard hot blond), Cheeks, SITONMYLAP!! and some others.

I have a few guys at my gym who look like celebrities, so in my mind I call them Glenn Beck, Harry Potter, and John Cena.

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    i've been going to mostly the same place for three years. i like it. watch sometimes, don't watch others, but i've definitely gotten used to the regulars and kind of like having them around also doing their thing.

and i watch for various reasons. sometimes i'm interested in someone's progress, or i'm just monitoring interactions because like someone said, people are interesting.
  • isabellapanzica9387
    isabellapanzica9387 Posts: 68 Member
    At the rec center I go to they have the cardio machines facing the windows. So I always find myself looking at people by the reflection in the window. Like today I think I stared at this one girl back for at least a solid minute since she had this really weird shirt. Because of the color of the shirt at first it didn't look like she was wearing anything ontop. Though she had to be wearing a shirt since they are strict with dress code at the rec and no one was reacting. Then also the more I stared at it the more I noticed a slight pink tint on her back. So I think she was wearing a shirt but it looked weird in the window.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    JaxxieKat wrote: »

I have a few guys at my gym who look like celebrities, so in my mind I call them Glenn Beck, Harry Potter, and John Cena.

Ooh I forgot we have Christian Guzman lol
    Looks just like him, I swear!
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member

Haha. I do this, too. My favorite is Army Guy. The dude does 30 minutes or so cardio, then straight to arms. Every single time.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    I'm a rank beginner, so I love idly watching other people to learn what other things may be in my future :)

Sometimes people look at me. It made me feel a bit awkward at first, but now I tell myself that they're thinking 'How awesome is it that that fat woman can do what she's doing', and it doesn't bother me anymore.
  • KassLea22
    KassLea22 Posts: 112 Member
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    I'm a rank beginner, so I love idly watching other people to learn what other things may be in my future :)

Sometimes people look at me. It made me feel a bit awkward at first, but now I tell myself that they're thinking 'How awesome is it that that fat woman can do what she's doing', and it doesn't bother me anymore.

I can assure you that 99% of the time that is probably what they are thinking :)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited March 2017
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Yep.

Just out of curiousity.. how do you know it is made up? What are some examples? I mean unless it is an unsafe use of equipment or something.

Some of the moves I do are different/bizarre.. and I always find new variations and improvements to add to my routine.

Exactly. I'm a long time lifter but there are always new things/modifications out there

I've gotten some specialized movements from a physical therapist and people have asked me about them. I've asked people about stuff they're doing. Good way to learn.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    I end up staring at people really hard in the gym. But that is just because I pretty much space out when I'm resting between sets.
    Does anyone remember those magic eye pictures. Where you had to focus "behind" the picture before it stood out. That is pretty much what I do in the gym.