I am so frustrated!

Options
I have been eating 1200 or less calories a day and running. And I haven't budge on my weight! I am still 143.8. I feel so frustrated! I know it is only a week, but I am trying so hard!

And it makes me want to overeat and throw in the towel. How will I ever make my goal when I lose weight so slowly?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The closer you are to your goal the slower it will be. That's to be expected.

As for not losing over a week, it happens. Weight loss is not linear, and there could be a host of reasons as to why you didn't lose (sodium/carb intake, hormones/TOM, new or increased exercise, or inaccurate logging). http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear
  • cashidy
    cashidy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Also, I have been on my weight loss journey a while and just started really counting calories and being on top of things this past week. Seems like I would have lost a pound or inch at least!
  • pa296171
    pa296171 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    the key is not to weigh yourself everyday, just go with the way you feel, I am sure you feel better after your runs and staying light on your food, if yes then keep doing what you are doing and forget about weight loss, one day after a month or so weigh yourself and look in the mirror and trust me you will see the difference and will be proud of what you would see.
    Thanks,
  • cashidy
    Options
    pa296171 wrote: »
    the key is not to weigh yourself everyday, just go with the way you feel, I am sure you feel better after your runs and staying light on your food, if yes then keep doing what you are doing and forget about weight loss, one day after a month or so weigh yourself and look in the mirror and trust me you will see the difference and will be proud of what you would see.
    Thanks,

You are right. I feel less "weighed down" if that makes sense.

And @StaciMarie1974 you are right haha you always give me good advice. :)
  • cashidy
    Options
    I'll try to stay positive, but I just needed to vent. I feel like something is wrong with me! But also I might just not be patient.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Like you said it's only been a wait stay patient :)
  • cashidy
    Options
    Only thing I can think of is i am on an IUD (hormone based) and have PCOS. But doctor's won't give me medicine because they say I am overweight but healthy.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I KNOW this is easier said than done. But something to try:

Set goals that are based on health and fitness. Drinking water to stay hydrated. Eating more fruits/veggies. Increasing your cardio endurance. Goals that make sense for you, things you think you could/should work on. Focus on those things. Let weight loss be a side effect.

Focusing on weight loss is frustrating. And as long as that is your central focus, it is going to be frustrating. Even on the weeks where the scale drops - because it is not going to drop every day. So if you can shift focus and remind yourself that this is about making a healthier, more fit YOU, then it actually gets less frustrating on the weight loss side of things.

• cashidy
    Options
    I have to say, I was losing more weight before when I was eating 1800 and exercising more? This was before I got off track.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    If you've only been doing this a week you just need to give it some time, also if the increased exercise is a recent thing you will be retaining water for muscle repair, it's really too soon to tell what might be amiss. However if the 1200 cals is too restrictive and you feel like throwing in the towel so soon I'd definitely adjust your goals if its too restrictive, also are you eating your exercise cals back and are you measuring food with scales and liquids with cups/jugs/spoons?

Edit ah sorry I didn't see the other replies there was only 3 when I wrote this, good luck.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    cashidy wrote: »
    I have to say, I was losing more weight before when I was eating 1800 and exercising more? This was before I got off track.

If you were losing weight you were in a deficit. Just keep in mind that 1 week is too little time to judge that you are NOT losing weight now. If you are happy with your intake and activity level, then you're good. If you enjoyed the exercising more, then reevaluate your nutritional needs. Keep in mind that MFP is designed so that you 'earn' additional calories for your exercise.
  • cashidy
    Options
    If you've only been doing this a week you just need to give it some time, also if the increased exercise is a recent thing you will be retaining water for muscle repair, it's really too soon to tell what might be amiss. However if the 1200 cals is too restrictive and you feel like throwing in the towel so soon I'd definitely adjust your goals if its too restrictive, also are you eating your exercise cals back and are you measuring food with scales and liquids with cups/jugs/spoons?

I have been eating only proportioned meals while I get on track. For other stuff I use measuring cups or guesstimate but make sure to really overestimate if I do so.
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates up to 10 lb's. I wouldn't panic just yet. I certainly understand where you are coming from though. It can be frustrating at times to not see the actual results.

What I usually do is simply staying on top my calories. Try to be as accurate as I can be. The weight comes off eventually as long as you follow the proper calories, and weigh your ingredients right, using the correct database.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Could be water retention due to tom, too much salt, muscle repair...it often comes off in a whoosh for some reason. Just keep swimming swimming swimming :)
  • cashidy
    Options
    Oh I see! My water intake has went up and since my meals are preportioned they have more sodium than I would like. Maybe that is why.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Honestly love you need to be more patient. Log, weigh once a week and then look back over the data in 3 or 4 weeks and see what you think then.

When i started i was 387lb and under medical care on a 1500 diet exercising 5 days a week. First weeks weigh in i lost bothing. The medical team accused me of cheating, refused to believe i had done as i was meant to....... i did exactly the same routine for another week and i lost 10lb and was accused of starving myself lol
  • runforthefunofitUK
    runforthefunofitUK Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It has only been a week. It will take about 3-4 weeks to get a proper gauge on how you are doing.

I know it sucks and it is frustrating, but it takes time to get "out of shape", which means it takes time to get back in shape too.
  • __Alfie__
    __Alfie__ Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    cashidy wrote: »
    Oh I see! My water intake has went up and since my meals are preportioned they have more sodium than I would like. Maybe that is why.

I spent weeks studying all the data I had accumulated through MyFitnessPal because I kept to a strict 1,500Kcal/day and yet my weight would slowly increase. I slowly discovered my Sodium chart almost matched my weight chart through the weeks. Sodium wasn't something I paid much attention too until that point. I now try and keep my sodium intake to less than 1,500mg. After a couple of days... I nearly spent a week visiting the toilet every hour for a wee-wee and lost over 5lb in urine