How do you get enough protein?

Options
13»

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I've seen his posts - but the actual response about a gallon of egg whites - was directly to Gallowmere :)

I do 130g of protein a day and rarely supplement with powders/bars - I may do if I need a snack at work and they look good - but in general my protein typically comes from real food

my LMM (by my body comp) was 110.5lbs, so I do about 1.2g/lb of LBM - my RD upped me from 125g about a month ago, because I was so hungry on a regular basis (even with taking in between 2100 and 2400 a day)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I've seen his posts - but the actual response about a gallon of egg whites - was directly to Gallowmere :)

I do 130g of protein a day and rarely supplement with powders/bars - I may do if I need a snack at work and they look good - but in general my protein typically comes from real food

my LMM (by my body comp) was 110.5lbs, so I do about 1.2g/lb of LBM - my RD upped me from 125g about a month ago, because I was so hungry on a regular basis (even with taking in between 2100 and 2400 a day)

Yeah, that all sounds reasonable, and not that different from me (I'm 5'3, with a lean mass of around 95) and aim for 100, but often eat more just because when I'm eating meat I eat more meat/egg/dairy + veg based and it works out that way. (I'm eating vegetarian at the moment so end up more 90-105 g on average, although it wouldn't take much work or require supplements to get it higher if I were concerned about it.)

I think the discussion of supplements being needed didn't begin with Gallowmere, but above:
    What's your calorie budget and how many grams of protein do you want? 1 gram per pound of body weight for progressive heavy lifting is sufficient, but you'll need protein supplements.

Only then did Gallowmere jump in:

"You never need protein supps. I've hit 300g on ~1400 kcals before. Lots and lots of tuna and chicken breast tenderloin (the kind with no rib meat attached)."

The discussion continued:
    I, of course, bow to your superior wisdom. When I tried to figure out how to get to 1 gram per pound of my body weight, I found I'd have to consume 2 quarts of egg whites each day if I wanted any calories left for vegetables. I don't know how you did it, but I am in awe.

That is what I'd disagree with -- I don't think 1 g / lb of current weight (if overweight) is needed at all -- again, more like .8 g/lb of goal weight if you don't know LBM. However, when I started I did 1250 and ate about 100-110 g, sometimes as high as 120 g (120 being my goal weight), regularly (largely because of appetite control), and that certainly did not require egg whites (which I did not eat), supplements, or sacrificing vegetables. It did require increasing meat a bit more than I was comfortable with long term (at least without giving it more thought), and eating a lot of lean meat, low fat dairy, eggs (whole ones), and vegetables, though.
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I feel you. It is hard. I am trying to eat more greek yogurt. It is hard for me because of my stomach I can't do protein shakes or bars, eggs, or a lot of dairy either. I eat chicken mostly but I get so bored of it and have never ate a lot of meat. I was always more into veggies and sides. So I feel like a little kid every night at dinner patting myself on the back if I eat all my meat. HAHA
  • SammiG01
    SammiG01 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I feel you. It is hard. I am trying to eat more greek yogurt. It is hard for me because of my stomach I can't do protein shakes or bars, eggs, or a lot of dairy either. I eat chicken mostly but I get so bored of it and have never ate a lot of meat. I was always more into veggies and sides. So I feel like a little kid every night at dinner patting myself on the back if I eat all my meat. HAHA

That's a funny visual...made me laugh.
  • SammiG01
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Yeah, that all sounds reasonable, and not that different from me (I'm 5'3, with a lean mass of around 95) and aim for 100, but often eat more just because when I'm eating meat I eat more meat/egg/dairy + veg based and it works out that way. (I'm eating vegetarian at the moment so end up more 90-105 g on average, although it wouldn't take much work or require supplements to get it higher if I were concerned about it.)

I think the discussion of supplements being needed didn't begin with Gallowmere, but above:
    What's your calorie budget and how many grams of protein do you want? 1 gram per pound of body weight for progressive heavy lifting is sufficient, but you'll need protein supplements.

Only then did Gallowmere jump in:

"You never need protein supps. I've hit 300g on ~1400 kcals before. Lots and lots of tuna and chicken breast tenderloin (the kind with no rib meat attached)."

The discussion continued:
    I, of course, bow to your superior wisdom. When I tried to figure out how to get to 1 gram per pound of my body weight, I found I'd have to consume 2 quarts of egg whites each day if I wanted any calories left for vegetables. I don't know how you did it, but I am in awe.

That is what I'd disagree with -- I don't think 1 g / lb of current weight (if overweight) is needed at all -- again, more like .8 g/lb of goal weight if you don't know LBM. However, when I started I did 1250 and ate about 100-110 g, sometimes as high as 120 g (120 being my goal weight), regularly (largely because of appetite control), and that certainly did not require egg whites (which I did not eat), supplements, or sacrificing vegetables. It did require increasing meat a bit more than I was comfortable with long term (at least without giving it more thought), and eating a lot of lean meat, low fat dairy, eggs (whole ones), and vegetables, though.

You folks are hilarious.....and I mean no disrespect, truly. I aspire to be one of you some day. I actually thought at one point that you were all talking to me....and I was kinda confused....I don't lift or cut or drink quarts of egg whites. Lol I thank you all for the input. I have gotten my question answered and then some!
  • ifbblinds
    ifbblinds Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    it is important to remember what ever your protein goal/protein macronutrient count is, that you space that throughout the day. Someone in this post commented they have over 80g of protein just in lunch, that is way to much for one sitting and nearly 30g-40g of that will not be metabolized and synthesized through the body. It is important to not only protein uptake though also muscle repair that you feed your body throughout the day, not just in a big serve like an 80g protein meal, some suggestions have been noted, tin/can of tuna, yogurt, protein shake, cottage cheese, fish, chicken ect. all of these are great snacks during the day that are quick and easy and will yield the extra protein you are seeking.

it also seemed by your post that you missed lunch? - it might just be that you need to eat more frequently rather than trying to get all your protein in over 3 meals
  • cdgallagher943
    cdgallagher943 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    SammiG01 wrote: »
    I had lentils, bean and eggs for breakfast and salmon for dinner and Greek yogurt for a snack, and that was still not enough protein. How do you manage to get enough in a day?

6 eggs in the morning, followed by 4 meals of 4oz boiled chicken, 1 cup of brown rice and green beans, then a shake before bed = 280 grams of protein daily.
  • SammiG01
    Options
    I had lentils, bean and eggs for breakfast and salmon for dinner and Greek yogurt for a snack, and that was still not enough protein. How do you manage to get enough in a day?

6 eggs in the morning, followed by 4 meals of 4oz boiled chicken, 1 cup of brown rice and green beans, then a shake before bed = 280 grams of protein daily.

Wow...just wow. 6 eggs and 16 Oz of chicken? I'd have to quit my job and spend my days in a gym. Maybe in my next life!
  • mmeast44
    mmeast44 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese
  • suzesvelte
    suzesvelte Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Generally I have a couple eggs in the morning, then a can of tuna for lunch (I drain the tuna and mix in the seasonings the night before to it can marinate - try curry, chili powder, lemon dill or green relish). For dinner it can be any type of meat, truly. I haven't gotten into beans really yet (the calories worry me for losing weight) but that's on the to-do list.

This is basically the pattern I follow - tho I prefer jumbo prawns for lunch over tuna .. and I will eat some beans for dinner if I've done shed-loads of exercise in the day, but I generally am not eating rice/pasta/potatoe in the evening.
  • suzesvelte
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback. Some of you commented that my numbers seemed a little out of whack so I wnt in and had a look. I have a new fitbit and it seems that as fitbit is adding in activity it also changes the macro requirements. I'm not doing any major workouts so eating more protein and fat because I'm recording steps does not seem reasonable. I don't eat back exercise calories at all so maybe I don't need the fitbit synced. Something to think about......thanks again.

I've been faffing about with MFP for three months and still haven't quite decided how to set it up - I think I have set my macros as % ages - which then increases the protein needs when I add in exercise, but I just ignore it! :p

I have lost 23lbs and according to the boditrax at my gym (which gives you a rough idea of the amounts of fat / muscle in your body) I AM managing to lose lots more fat than muscle. This ideal, if you are thinking like lemurcat said. I am 58 so defintely keen to hold onto the muscle I have ...
  • suzesvelte
    Options
    By the way, what does LBM stand for?
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    suzesvelte wrote: »
    By the way, what does LBM stand for?

Lean Body Mass
    (Pretty much everything which is not fat)
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options

That's a funny visual...made me laugh.
    I didn't get the pat last night! My husband stole the last bite of my roast! :(