Need tasty but fairly healthy pizza crust

Options
2»

Replies

• Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    I made a cauliflower crust pizza on Sunday. The recipe is at https://counterfoodieblog.wordpress.com/
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Flat breads and pitas work, and so do tortillas! I will sometimes make a mini pizza on a low carb tortilla.
  • ValleyHooper
    ValleyHooper Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of recipes on Pinterest. I am about to try a cauliflower crust soon.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    What's inherently unhealthy about regular pizza crust?

IDK, I've never made my own dough...if we happen to make pizza at home (which we don't do much) I just pick up a dough ball from my favorite pizzeria.
  • krmsotherhalf68
    krmsotherhalf68 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    For a low-carb/calorie crust: Cauliflower crust pizza (See Hungry Girl's web site for recipe) is hands down the best. If you're looking for a bread: Joseph's Flax & Oat Bran Pitas. Yum!
  • island_chick
    island_chick Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is my go to recipe that I have been making for years. It is from Anne Lindsay's Smart Cooking. I
    NGREDIENTS
    1 cup warm water
    1 tsp. sugar
    1 package (1/4-ounce) active dry yeast
    1.5 cup whole wheat flour
    1 -1.5 cups all-purpose flour
    2 tsp. salt
    2 tbsp. olive oil
    Flour, for rolling

PREPARATION
    Add warm water, sugar and yeast to a small bowl. Stir to combine. Let sit until yeast starts to foam, about 5 to 10 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine whole wheat flour, 1 3/4 all-purpose flour and salt. Set aside.

Add yeast mixture and olive oil to flour mixture. Stir or work with your hands until dough starts to form into a ball. Transfer to work surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 7 to 8 minutes, adding more flour if dough is sticky.

Transfer dough to an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place until it doubles in volume, about 30 to 40 minutes. Punch down dough.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Oil 17-inch x 11-inch baking sheet.

On lightly floured work surface, roll dough to about 1/4-inch thickness. Add to prepared baking sheet.
  • strshllw84
    strshllw84 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I want to try the cauliflower crust sometime! Unfortunately cauli is expensive here, and I'm a low income single parent.

I made the cauliflower pizza crust Sunday and I actually used the frozen kind. I let it thaw over night before I put it in the food processor and it came out awesome.

I will say it's a little mushy but I pre-baking the crust before adding toppings, next time I plan to pre-bake it a little longer tho.
  • Hearndt
    Hearndt Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I make my crust with ground chicken or turkey. It's really good.