Struggling to loose weight

Options

Replies

• ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I am still unable to access your diary. Are other posters able to see it and am I just looking at the wrong thing?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ugofatcat wrote: »
    I am still unable to access your diary. Are other posters able to see it and am I just looking at the wrong thing?

No, it's closed for me as well.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Diary is open to friends only...

Weight loss by way of calorie counting summed up: accurate and honest logging, and patience. Weighing all solid food with a scale is the key to accuracy. (If you're estimating portion sizes and you are happy with your results, then no need to change. But that's not the case...) Honesty means tracking it all. Drinks, cooking oils, condiments, AND being aware that a bite of this, taste of that: can add up. And then patience. This is not something that you 'finish' in a week or even a month.

So the key to make all that reasonable is a realistic goal. Everyone wants to lose weight fast so its common to choose the 2 pounds per week goal, get a low calorie # per day and find oneself struggling within a few weeks. It might be more realistic to aim for 1 or 1.5 pounds per week, and get a calorie goal you can handle without so much trouble.

If you feel the need for a 'cheat' meal then how about taking a day here and there to aim for maintenance calories? If you are aiming for 1.5 pounds lost per week then that is 750 calories. An extra 750 calories in a day can be a lot of food variety. Another idea is to eat 75-100 calories lower Mon-Fri and have the extra 375-500 calories to eat over the weekend. LIttle things like that can make the process sustainable for the long haul.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Ps-based on your stats, and desk job without exercise: 1360 calories in would probably be about right for losing 1 pound per week.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    @jkal2 would you feel comfortable opening your diary for everyone?
  • jkcal2
    jkcal2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    ugofatcat wrote: »
    @jkal2 would you feel comfortable opening your diary for everyone?

Yes I will open now, or I have a food instagram jj.cc.mfp
  • jkcal2
    Options
    I weigh everything, and I mean everything. I was disheartened for about three weeks with no loss, and was exercising... ill attach my link now
  • jkcal2
    Options
  • jkcal2
    Options
    Note the 11.7 may not be accurate. As I weighed on my family scales abroad x
  • jkcal2
    Options
    Thanks Staci x
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,051 Member
    Options
    One 1400 cheat meal would wipe out my entire week's deficit, putting me in maintenance. That's IF if logged everything else completely accurately that week. So, change that. Then you were on holiday for a week and (I'm just guessing) didn't accurately log food for that week, probably had some alcohol, maybe more sweets. Unless you prepared the food yourself, no way it was logged accurately.

You've been at this for three months - I have no idea how accurate you are and how consistent you are, but I'm sure you will find your answer in that flow chart above.

Consistent accurate logging over TIME is what will get you results. Don't get discouraged, you can do it.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Are you logging everything? I see a couple of days that just have 150ish calories. On the other hand, you've got some days where you are over (one by 1,100 calories). I think consistent logging and hitting your goal is the best strategy here.
  • jkcal2
    Options
    Are you logging everything? I see a couple of days that just have 150ish calories. On the other hand, you've got some days where you are over (one by 1,100 calories). I think consistent logging and hitting your goal is the best strategy here.

Ignore from the 15th for 1 week as I was away. Id say I really stick to plan, apart from on a Saturday when i have a cheat meal. But sometimes i cant log it due to it being a chippy, or a meal at a resturant. Maybe i need to do what someone else said previous in the post and rather than having 1300 a day, have 1200 and save 100 a day so on a Saturday i have 700 left to play with
  • jkcal2
    Options
    One 1400 cheat meal would wipe out my entire week's deficit, putting me in maintenance. That's IF if logged everything else completely accurately that week. So, change that. Then you were on holiday for a week and (I'm just guessing) didn't accurately log food for that week, probably had some alcohol, maybe more sweets. Unless you prepared the food yourself, no way it was logged accurately.

You've been at this for three months - I have no idea how accurate you are and how consistent you are, but I'm sure you will find your answer in that flow chart above.

Consistent accurate logging over TIME is what will get you results. Don't get discouraged, you can do it.

Thanks so much, this chat has been so helpful!
  • KrysGettinFit
    KrysGettinFit Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I think your best bet is to be more consistent with logging. Also, I don't see a lot of fruits and vegetables, eating a bit more healthy could help you too..(not criticizing, just a suggestion) Also, are you meal planning? I know sitting down on Sunday and writing down what I'm going to eat for the entire week really helps as well.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    jkcal2 wrote: »

Ignore from the 15th for 1 week as I was away. Id say I really stick to plan, apart from on a Saturday when i have a cheat meal. But sometimes i cant log it due to it being a chippy, or a meal at a resturant. Maybe i need to do what someone else said previous in the post and rather than having 1300 a day, have 1200 and save 100 a day so on a Saturday i have 700 left to play with

If you aren't logging some meals, specifically higher calorie ones, you could easily be wiping out any deficit you're creating the rest of the week and not realizing it. When you're closer to goal, sometimes one meal is all it can take to keep you out of a deficit.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Agree with the advice to tighten up your logging. It is sadly easy to wipe out a week's worth of deficit in one big meal. Also be sure you're grabbing accurate database entries. I saw an entry for a sandwich that was measured as 0.5 cup. Some of the calorie counts for the food described look on the low side to me. I see lots of sodium (not a problem, per se, but water retention can mask losses).

ETA, one day you had McDonald's you logged 8 oz of Fanta Orange Medium as 160 calories. Did you really only drink 8 oz? That's quite possible, but 8 oz is is pretty tiny soda and those calories add up in a hurry. Also, I don't know about Fanta, but 12 oz of Dr. Pepper (my sugar soda of choice!) is 150 calories. Just wanted to point out that one specific example for your consideration :smile:
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'd say keep eating 1300 calories a day and maybe incorporate 1-2 days of strength training. You really would only have to lift 30 minutes, so for an extra hour of lifting a week that should really help you. Also, if you're eating fast food on your cheat meal the sodium is going to contribute to your fluctuations. I can go from X amount of weight to X+5 within 24 hours even though I didn't eat enough to warrant that. It all depends on a) what you eat b) the form of exercise you were just doing c) normal bodily functions (like that time of the month). Just keep at it girlfriend, work some exercise in there (that way you can eat more). I personally have plateaued so I need to up my calories by 500 (I'll gain a little) and then work my way back down once my metabolism has adjusted, because going below 1,500 for me is not going to happen, especially since I lift and do cardio.
  • stacieluvzneyoo
    stacieluvzneyoo Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring your body? It could be you gaining muscle or water weight???? Focus on NSV and keep it consistent.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I agree with @janejellyroll , it comes down to accurately logging to know where the issue is when you're not having as much success as you should be seeing. Those missing days for a week could put you behind a week or two in loss. If this is covered in your instagram I apologize, it's blocked at my work and I cannot see it.
    Eating out, obviously you know calories were over but the sodium can keep you behind for days. I had a few ounces of ham every day a few weeks ago and apparently my scale knew it. Ugh, it went up and took a few days to come back down to reality. Also, the calories when eating out are unfortunately a guesstimate. If they added more or less of meat, condiments, etc or less than normal it can be off.

I'd say may sure your log entries are on point as accurate as you can (double check labels vs MFP entries as they are user-entered and can be inaccurate), stay with at least the 1300 it seems strange but in my experience the more calories the better loss, eat back 50% of calories burned (as MFP is built that way) and keep at it don't give up!