Frustrated! Finding a workout for you.

Options
I'm a runner, I've always been a runner. I can't run anymore because of knee problems. Now I can't find a workout that gives me the feeling that running does. Exercise is just an annoying necessity instead of an enjoyable journey now. How have you overcome losing your niche? What else can I do that is low impact but still gives me that feeling? Elliptical and stair climbers are a no-go and walking just pisses me off because all I can think about is running instead.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Sorry this has happened to you. For me, it's swimming! Or you could try a completely different direction like TRX suspension training. It's more of a strength workout, but if you organize your exercises into a circuit style format, you can get your heart rate up quite nicely too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Get on a bike and start cranking...flying down the road at 18-20 MPH is pretty fun...
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Rowing. On the water and using the machine at the gym.

I would imagine the water rowing would give you a similar feeling to running. Open air, wind in your hair, physical exertion- freedom.

@AnnPT77 would you care to add your joy of rowing?

Cheers, h.

Oh lots of love of cycling around here too. That may work.
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Inline speedskating is my drug, I mean exercise, of choice. :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Cycling - very kind to knees as no impact and strong quads help stabilise knees.

My knees are a mess (3 major and 3 minor injuries) but I can cycle all day. Plus it takes me to beautiful countryside which is good for the soul too.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner for 40 years. Two years ago, at 62, I developed painful plantar fasciitis, bunions, and my arches are shot. It seemed to happen overnight. I floundered around for awhile, desperate for something. I ended up getting a stationary bike. It gives me a good cardio workout. It doesn't replace running, but it's pretty good. I also just put together my new water rower and am going to add in rowing starting today. There is life after running. But it might not be quite the same.
  • dominette3168
    dominette3168 Posts: 36 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Get on a bike and start cranking...flying down the road at 18-20 MPH is pretty fun...

I would imagine the water rowing would give you a similar feeling to running. Open air, wind in your hair, physical exertion- freedom.

Cheers, h.

These are two things I think I might enjoy. I've done them before but never stuck with them long enough to know if they were another workout I could love. Thank you!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Man, it sucks when something gets in the way of what you like to do. So sorry to hear!

It's nice to swim, ride, AND run. When one thing hurts, do the others. When I was in a knee brace, I swam, lifted, and kayaked. I better now, and also SUP, trail ride, hike (poles help) and rollerblade. I love awimming. If you hate pools, you might try "open water" swimming (typically done in a pond).

As my 81 year old mother says: figure out what you CAN do. She's very active.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I love my fitness glider. Not sure if it'll work with your knee, but you might want to check into it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,046 Member
    Options

@AnnPT77 would you care to add your joy of rowing?

Cheers, h.

Rowing: Endorsed!

On water is way more fun than machine, but it's really necessary to take a class or lessons (this is for those long skinny boats like in the Olympics: It's fairly technical). It can be anything from an easy paddle to a full-out heart-pounding anaerobic threshold to anaerobic workout (after you get enough technique going to push it that hard).

Rowing machines are an excellent workout, too, and many people find them enjoyable. Us boat-rowers tend to find them a poor second to the water, but many people machine row as their regular sport. There are even competitions, both virtual and in-person.

How do-able rowing would be for you will depend on the nature of your knee problem. Either type of rowing uses your knees extensively (sliding seat; most of the power comes from legs). However, it's all straight-line hinge-type knee motion, and there isn't much impact (just strong pressure). I have a torn meniscus and arthritis, and rowing is still OK. The motions are quite different, but I find rowing and cycling to create somewhat similar types of knee stress, for me.

As far as wind in your hair & such, rowing is faster than walking/running, but slower than biking. And on water, you get to go backwards. ;)
  • dominette3168
    dominette3168 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

On water is way more fun than machine, but it's really necessary to take a class or lessons (this is for those long skinny boats like in the Olympics: It's fairly technical). It can be anything from an easy paddle to a full-out heart-pounding anaerobic threshold to anaerobic workout (after you get enough technique going to push it that hard).

Rowing machines are an excellent workout, too, and many people find them enjoyable. Us boat-rowers tend to find them a poor second to the water, but many people machine row as their regular sport. There are even competitions, both virtual and in-person.

How do-able rowing would be for you will depend on the nature of your knee problem. Either type of rowing uses your knees extensively (sliding seat; most of the power comes from legs). However, it's all straight-line hinge-type knee motion, and there isn't much impact (just strong pressure). I have a torn meniscus and arthritis, and rowing is still OK. The motions are quite different, but I find rowing and cycling to create somewhat similar types of knee stress, for me.

As far as wind in your hair & such, rowing is faster than walking/running, but slower than biking. And on water, you get to go backwards. ;)

Unfortunately, outdoor rowing isn't an option for me as the Rio Grande is the largest body of water to me for miles, but I think I can a rowing machine. My knees only flare up on me when it's impact...I can do squats for days without them bothering me.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,046 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Unfortunately, outdoor rowing isn't an option for me as the Rio Grande is the largest body of water to me for miles, but I think I can a rowing machine. My knees only flare up on me when it's impact...I can do squats for days without them bothering me.

Indoor rowing it is, then! If you can do squats, you should be fine.

Technique is still important, and a complicating factor is that even many trainers teach it incorrectly. Concept 2 has good information if good instruction is lacking locally (and it largely works even if you're using a different manufacturer's machine. Starting point: concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training, and definitely watch the technique videos.

Getting the technique correct will help you get the best possible workout.

IF you do end up using a Concept 2 machine, there's lots of other fun stuff on their site: Competitions, challenges, logbook, WODs, etc.

While rowing on water may not be possible on the reg, there are ways to try it out, for fun/inspiration. One option is a rowing camp, like Craftsbury Outdoor Center (craftsbury.com/sculling/sculling-camps/sculling-home/) in Vermont. They accept beginners, it's in a beautiful area (options for a non-rowing spouse to do outdoor things), and the on-site home-made food is amazing. It's not cheap, but cheaper than many would guess - comparable to many other sorts of vacations.