my first day of running

Options
Today was my first day of running! I'm doing a couch to 5K, and what better day to start than today. I did 1.5 Miles of mostly running, and some walking. It was brutally difficult. A lot of big hills killed me. I ran each hill just to get it done faster.

My next attempt is Friday. Hopefully soon I won't feel like heaving half of the time. We will see how my body feels tomorrow!!

Any suggestions on how to limit the soreness?

Replies

• AverageJoeFit
    AverageJoeFit Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'm experimenting with that as we speak myself, but a few things that are recommended are Epsom salt baths, compression socks and stretching. That's what most online articles say, but I'm seeing what works best for me still.
  • TheRambler
    TheRambler Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Thanks..this is new territory for me! Even during my wrestling years I never ran.

Also, on Friday... if I'm feeling very sore (shins or legs), do I "push through" like I would a weight workout?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The soreness comes mainly from your first exposure, so your next 2-3 days could be a tad uncomfortable. But it's not a constant. As you run more, you'll have residual fatigue but not that DOMS you will start to experience tomorrow.
  • TheRambler
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    The soreness comes mainly from your first exposure, so your next 2-3 days could be a tad uncomfortable. But it's not a constant. As you run more, you'll have residual fatigue but not that DOMS you will start to experience tomorrow.

thanks!! I remember when I lightly ran for training about..umm.. 20 years ago? My shins were the biggest PITA. Also the fact that my feet are flatter than Grace Jones' chest. Amazingly, my feet didn't cramp today, so maybe that's a good omen. ha
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Pushing through sounds like what you'd have to do.
    Magnesium (High dosage (300 mg +)) or multi-mineral supplements might give you some additional relief. Sadly they take some time to help.
    I found that the best "help" against soreness for me is a good days break and then a workout for those sore muscles.
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    while you are learning to run , don't concentrate on your speed so much , the legs need to get used to running. hopefully you have running shoes. I am back to doing that couch to 5k as well. I was just doing .5 mile at the gym before each workout and doing 1.5 now my legs are feeling the extra time/distance and pounding , I had to slow it down! relearn how to run properly and I know in a few weeks that pain wall will come down and I will be able to run some decent distance.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Take it slowly and make sure you have quality running shoes that in good shape. If you think running is going to be part of what you do I'd recommend spending a few extra dollars and go to a local running store (i.e not a big chain like Dicks) and have a knowledgeable person help you find a shoe that is suited to your foot, weight, strike (how you land), and gait. It all starts with the shoe. The other thing is not to ignore pain. There is a big difference between muscle soreness and true discomfort and if you ignore the latter you may end up being forced to lay off your new found activity while you heal up.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I don't know but I also started c25k this week and my thighs hurt. I signed up for a 5k in august at a local Vineyard. I figure once I spent money to sign up for a race I can't quit.
  • phrobbert
    phrobbert Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I was in the same place as you a few years back when I did the Couch 2 5K. It's important to get your running technique right. Make sure you have decent training shoes with good arch support and try not to "bounce" too much as you run.
  • pjhrt
    pjhrt Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm on about Week 6 of C25K and it DOES get easier! Even the running 90 seconds bit was hard at first but I'm now up to running for 25 minutes without stopping and, although I wouldn't say it's easy, the progress I've made has really kept me motivated. I suffer from asthma and had a bad week a couple of weeks ago which put me back; I was running for about 8 minutes before chest pains forced me to walk.

The C25K programme is excellent though, can't recommend it enough! I'm also doing the 100 Pushup Challenge by the same company which has got me up to 86 pushups (not all in one go, but in blocks of 13-20 repeated 4-5 times). That's tough as well but, again, keeping at it brings results.

Good luck!
  • BootCampC
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    I don't know but I also started c25k this week and my thighs hurt. I signed up for a 5k in august at a local Vineyard. I figure once I spent money to sign up for a race I can't quit.
    don't forget to train your legs at the gym , this will help with the running , I do hi rep lower weight to build endurance and rest the legs when they are sore , running on your legs before they are healed is painful and I feel like its counteractive.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting out there! I know a lot of people that got into running by doing C25K. It sounds to me like maybe you are running a little too fast though. You will benefit greatly by slowing down. At this point, you are working on building an aerobic base and the best way to do this is to train in the aerobic zone. You should be able to hold a conversation even while running. Also, it will help with both the soreness and the feeling like heaving!
  • BootCampC
    Options
    pjhrt wrote: »
    I'm on about Week 6 of C25K and it DOES get easier! Even the running 90 seconds bit was hard at first but I'm now up to running for 25 minutes without stopping and, although I wouldn't say it's easy, the progress I've made has really kept me motivated. I suffer from asthma and had a bad week a couple of weeks ago which put me back; I was running for about 8 minutes before chest pains forced me to walk.

The C25K programme is excellent though, can't recommend it enough! I'm also doing the 100 Pushup Challenge by the same company which has got me up to 86 pushups (not all in one go, but in blocks of 13-20 repeated 4-5 times). That's tough as well but, again, keeping at it brings results.

Good luck!

when did you break the wall ? I cant remember if it was after 4 weeks. I was able to run no problem and skip some of the walking prompts

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I go for slow but long walks when my legs are sore from running.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Right on man! Great job! Try a bath for the soreness? massage?
  • rolenthegreat
    rolenthegreat Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Consider a foam roller. I'm not a runner but they are great for getting out knots and stiffness that can develop when you are training.
  • TheRambler
    Options
    thanks for all of your tips. I'm doing the C25K through S-Health and using my Gearfit2. I ran when I felt like I could run. I feel like my lungs are the weakest part of my body.

I'm lucky enough to have very strong big legs. I don't know if this helps or hurts me in this, but today when I hit those hills it helped! According to my watch, during my run I ran the equivalent of 14 floors!!

Everyone's advice is greatly appreciated. There is so much information on the web, it's so much better getting it from people who have been there.
  • moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    That pain and soreness is the evil leaving your body, learn to love it.

After you run take the time to do head to toe stretching. When you think that you are done, google some new stretches and keep going. Stretching helps to reduce some of the soreness felt the morning following your run.

dmkoenig is right. Make sure that you have good shoes for running and have the sales person fit them for you. They should look at not just your size, but also your foot width, your arch. The good stores will also look at your current shoe wear and how you walk. Improperly fitting shoes will cause injury and make running miserable.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    - Start out slowwww. Slower even than you probably think you should be going. The last thing you want is to jump in too quickly, push too hard too fast, and end up with an injury. This will also help to build your aerobic endurance base. You should be able to hold a conversation or sing to yourself while running.

- Dynamic warmup before running, static stretches after, NOT the other way around.

- Strength training on the side for cross-training and injury prevention. You can do low weights high reps to not burn out if you want, but also don't be afraid to go heavy, you just need to schedule your lifting and running days properly (i.e. the days I do weighted barbell squats I don't run the next day, lol).

- Foam rolling can be helpful with sore muscles. Yes, it can hurt like a *kitten*, but that means it's working and you needed it, lol.

- Make sure you are using properly fitted shoes (as in, you've gone to an actual, good quality running store, and been fitted by someone there). You'd be surprised at the number of problems the wrong shoes can cause.

- Listen to your body. General soreness is fine, and it will definitely fade, but pay attention to tweaks, niggles, sharper pains, as you don't want to overlook the start of an injury and end up making it worse.

- There is nothing wrong with adjusting the pace of the C25k program. I've never used it, but I know a lot of people are flexible with it, and have no problem repeating weeks where necessary, until they've become comfortable with that next level.