my first day of running

Options

Replies

• littleworm23
    littleworm23 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    If you are referring to soreness after the run you may try foam rolling. I do this regularly and it definitely helps. If it is during the run I would slow the pace a little. Great job getting started and have fun. :)
  • Charabz69
    Charabz69 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Well Done you first of all! Most important thing to do after running is to STRETCH.....and not just your legs, your shoulders as well.
    Good running shoes are also a must. Tiger Balm patches/Epsom Salt Baths/Massage are all good for muscular 'aches'. Keep it up!
  • pjhrt
    pjhrt Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    BootCampC wrote: »
    pjhrt wrote: »
    I'm on about Week 6 of C25K and it DOES get easier! Even the running 90 seconds bit was hard at first but I'm now up to running for 25 minutes without stopping and, although I wouldn't say it's easy, the progress I've made has really kept me motivated. I suffer from asthma and had a bad week a couple of weeks ago which put me back; I was running for about 8 minutes before chest pains forced me to walk.

The C25K programme is excellent though, can't recommend it enough! I'm also doing the 100 Pushup Challenge by the same company which has got me up to 86 pushups (not all in one go, but in blocks of 13-20 repeated 4-5 times). That's tough as well but, again, keeping at it brings results.

Good luck!

when did you break the wall ? I cant remember if it was after 4 weeks. I was able to run no problem and skip some of the walking prompts

I can't remember either! I know that each time felt like a bit of a challenge, which is obviously a good thing. Even now though, on Week 6 and doing 25 minute runs, still doesn't feel 'easy'. I'm hoping to do a Park Run in a couple of weeks. The idea of running for any length of time would have been ridiculous only a few weeks ago.
  • cardioxxbunnyxx
    cardioxxbunnyxx Posts: 39 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I started out running, the most vital thing to remember is to NOT push yourself too much if you are a beginner runner. Your body is going to hurt for a while, it's normal. Running uses many different joints and muscles that you more than likely have never even worked out on before. When I first started, my hips, feet, back, everything ached.

To answer your question, STRETCH! Before and after your runs, every. time. Also, like I wrote before, start off slow, then slowly work your way up. I went from running 1 mile, now a year later, I have worked myself up running 6-7 miles.

It's tough, but give your body time and stretch your back and legs before running, and after.
    Foam rolling is also your best friend!
  • TheRambler
    TheRambler Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I bought Tiger Balm. I'm ready!!!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I take some ibuprofen after my long runs when I know I'll be sore. It takes the edge off and I can sit on the toilet without wincing because my thighs are so sore :smile:
  • ejnxyz
    ejnxyz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice posted here. I run a lot. Here is a skinny from my vantage point:
    1. Stretching - Yoga classes if you can, or buy a DVD such as "Sybel's Yoga for Sports & Fitness" If you don't have time to stretch, walk until you are warmed up before running.
    2. Stretch some more - While running if something doesn't feel right, stop and sort it out, or walk it out. Endurance comes with practice.
    3. Rollers/Massage - fortunately you can massage your own legs, and rollers are AMAZING and cheap. Hot spas are also pretty dang sweet if you have access. Also, tennis balls can be used to work out knots on specific hard to get to places.
    4. Magnesium - I take this any night I'm sore. Natural Vitality, Natural Calm, Magnesium Supplement - just 1/2 a tsp. Epsom salts/bath, has Mag in it, that's why it rocks.
    5. Change it up - Run trails, run flats, run sideways and backwards, run uphills, downhills, jump over stuff, run obstacles, get crazy, and have fun!! Personally I have a fetish for running on dirt (softer impact).
    6. Shoes are critical, you have to get good running shoes and expect to replace them often. If you run rocks/dirt, then you need Vibram soles to protect your feet($$) Expect to replace shoes every 3-6 months.
    7. If something seems injured, Aleve/Motrin can be a temporary fix, but if you keep pushing it you will pay. See 1 & 2. If you really pull or strain something, and you continue the exercise that aggravated it, it could end your participation in that sport unless you are a rehab guru and have a lot of stick too itness. Hit the Physical Therapist or similar early if you think something is injured and not coming around with all of the above.
    8. Sleep - sleep allows you to rest and heal. I love being sore, it means new muscles are being born, fat is being burned
  • TheRambler
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I take some ibuprofen after my long runs when I know I'll be sore. It takes the edge off and I can sit on the toilet without wincing because my thighs are so sore :smile:

Just took mine... Although 2 miles isn't long.
  • TheRambler
    Options
    ejnxyz wrote: »
    Lots of good advice posted here. I run a lot. Here is a skinny from my vantage point:
    1. Stretching - Yoga classes if you can, or buy a DVD such as "Sybel's Yoga for Sports & Fitness" If you don't have time to stretch, walk until you are warmed up before running.
    2. Stretch some more - While running if something doesn't feel right, stop and sort it out, or walk it out. Endurance comes with practice.
    3. Rollers/Massage - fortunately you can massage your own legs, and rollers are AMAZING and cheap. Hot spas are also pretty dang sweet if you have access. Also, tennis balls can be used to work out knots on specific hard to get to places.
    4. Magnesium - I take this any night I'm sore. Natural Vitality, Natural Calm, Magnesium Supplement - just 1/2 a tsp. Epsom salts/bath, has Mag in it, that's why it rocks.
    5. Change it up - Run trails, run flats, run sideways and backwards, run uphills, downhills, jump over stuff, run obstacles, get crazy, and have fun!! Personally I have a fetish for running on dirt (softer impact).
    6. Shoes are critical, you have to get good running shoes and expect to replace them often. If you run rocks/dirt, then you need Vibram soles to protect your feet($$) Expect to replace shoes every 3-6 months.
    7. If something seems injured, Aleve/Motrin can be a temporary fix, but if you keep pushing it you will pay. See 1 & 2. If you really pull or strain something, and you continue the exercise that aggravated it, it could end your participation in that sport unless you are a rehab guru and have a lot of stick too itness. Hit the Physical Therapist or similar early if you think something is injured and not coming around with all of the above.
    8. Sleep - sleep allows you to rest and heal. I love being sore, it means new muscles are being born, fat is being burned

This is fantastic!! Like the mother load
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Avoid ibuprofen if you can. It interferes with your bodys natural healing process.

• zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Avoid ibuprofen if you can. It interferes with your bodys natural healing process.

Really? Is Tylenol ok?
  • TheRambler
    Options

Woops
  • sakat726
    sakat726 Posts: 20 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Pushing through pain is tricky. A little general muscle soreness is no big deal, and in fact, your sore muscles might even feel better once you start running. But if shin pain or foot pain gets past mild into moderate or severe, be careful. In high school, I ran on the track team. I got shin splints, and my coach told me to run through the pain, so I did... which resulted in pretty severe stress fractures in both my tibias and no more running that season.

I second those who have mentioned shoes. They are essential. Find a good running store that has a track and will determine your running gait by watching you run. Foam rollers are also fabulous. I have plantar fascitis which causes pain in my arches, but if I use my foam roller on my calves it's not a problem.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    TheRambler wrote: »
    Today was my first day of running! I'm doing a couch to 5K, and what better day to start than today. I did 1.5 Miles of mostly running, and some walking. It was brutally difficult. A lot of big hills killed me. I ran each hill just to get it done faster.

My next attempt is Friday. Hopefully soon I won't feel like heaving half of the time. We will see how my body feels tomorrow!!

Any suggestions on how to limit the soreness?

Foam Roller.

• Ryokat
    Ryokat Posts: 168 Member
    Options

Really? Is Tylenol ok?

Tylenol is fine, it's not an anti-inflammatory. It's the anti-inflammatories that are now believed to interfere with healing (eg. ibuprofen, aspirin, naproxen [Aleve])
  • ejnxyz
    edited March 2017
    Options

Aleve and Motrin are drugs in a class called "non-steroidal anti-inflammatory", or NSAIDs which can be "nephrotoxic", kill your kidneys. Unfortunately, you probably won't know how much damage has occurred until it's bad. Personally I try to take them only if I really need to, either I'm rehabbing an injury with a therapist's support, or I'm skiing my 5th day in a row. They can also cause gastritis, high blood pressure and more. ICE has a lot less side effects!http://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis/guide/anti-inflammatory-drugs#1
  • 7lenny7
    Options

Really? Is Tylenol ok?

I'm no doctor but from what I've read, Tylenol is better than ibuprofen for runners if used sparingly.

Here's a good, science based article about anti-inflammatories and running.

https://runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/ibuprofen-and-running/
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    One mistake I find new runners making is taking big strides. You want short, quick strides. It's MUCH easier on your body that way. Ideally you're foot should land directly under your hips. If it lands in front of you, not only is it acting like a break for a moment, it makes your body absorb one heck of a shock and makes you work harder.

Short, choppy strides are what you want.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Not only does Ibuprofen interfere with your body's healing, it can enhance the damage that your kidneys get when running (study was just released this week). Avoid it if you can (I'm guilty sometimes too).

No matter how strong your legs are, if they are not used to running, they will break down if you do too much too soon. Trust the plan (assuming it is a good one).

The best advice to a new runner is take it slow. Really slow. Again, trust the plan.

Good luck.
  • ejnxyz
    Options

Really? Is Tylenol ok?

Tylenol is just a pain killer. It won't affect healing. Unfortunately it's hard on your liver(common adverse affect). Only take it if you really need it.https://drugs.com/sfx/tylenol-side-effects.html