Justifying Shakeology?

Options
2»

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    the_wild37 wrote: »
    That's been my thought too...should I just break away from the entire shake kick...it's just easy, portable and I can drink my breakfast on my way to work.

You can also buy drinkable yogurt in single-serve portions. Just grab one and go!
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Shakeology tastes good- I'm not sure how much protein is in one... What I mean is: if you switch to a protein powder, you may not like the taste/texture compared to Shakeology because of the higher protein content.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    All great info, thanks ladies!
    Need to master a great chocolate one :)

Just add cocoa powder to the formula that I gave. I use hershey powder as it is high quality and not from the dutch process so a little more micronutrients in it.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    bpotts44 wrote: »
    I use a simple formula works great that I got from Abel James podcast:

1 or 2 doses of each of the following.

1. Green ingredient (1 head of romaine, handful of spinach, etc)
    2. Liquid (water, milk, etc) enough to blend it up
    3. Fruit (berries, banana, apple)
    4. Extras depending on goals (protein powder, chia, flax, nuts, etc)

I usually do the head of romaine, 12 oz of water, 2 cups of blueberries, and 2 scoops of whey.
    Definitely don't use iceberg lettuce. :anguished: Horrible nutritional value. I picked up a big bag of kale I used for testing out my smoothies for maybe $4. And banana is always helpful for making a smoothie have a more smooth consistency, though I will say the apple/pear one I tried (with kale, flaxseed and steel cut oatmeal) was pretty darn tasty.

I agree, there are much better alternatives, but they do really good on their marketing. There's a thread in the Recipes forum for someone asking how to make it better, and most of the replies are "don't use it". :lol:
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind, they won't allow anyone to independently verify that Shakeology contains what they say it does, and if so, how much. So you are paying a premium for all these fancy ingredients that could be in such small doses they are useless. Just buy protein powder and pulse it up with a liquid, some veggies, and maybe some chia or flaxseed and you'll probably come out ahead :drinker:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I have been using Shakeology for about 4 months and have great results however I just cannot justify the cost (being a family of 5, gotta be smart in the grocery department!) I am curious what others out there use that is a little gentler on the wallet.
    Warmly-Tracey

Hi Tracy,

I use food!

I just eat less of it than I did when I was slowly piling the pounds on.

Shakeoloy doesn't work unless you eat at a calorie deficit, so why not just shake it off and buy real food that you can share with your family?
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    That's been my thought too...should I just break away from the entire shake kick...it's just easy, portable and I can drink my breakfast on my way to work.

I would. One thing you could do is prep your breakfast for the entire week on the weekend, that way all you need to do is heat and eat.

I'm currently prepping a sweet potato hash with chicken, apples, and onions. Since I can eat at work, I just heat it up when I get hungry.

@twistedingenue
    Do you have an actual recipe you use or do you just toss things together for your hash? It sounds delicious and a great thing to make ahead of time for when you need it. Please share! Thanks :smiley:
  • jayv85
    jayv85 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    jayv85 wrote: »
    http://www.modwedding.com/2015/05/juicing-recipes-for-detoxing-and-weight-loss/amp/

I'm going to try that. And eat a hard boiled egg later. Mostly because I eat at 4:30am and I'm starving before lunch. So that will get some veggies and fruit in me, then I can eat my breakfast later in the day and not have such a big gap in meals

ETA: And by that I mean a little down the page the green smoothie guides. You can use superfood greens powder instead of kale or spinach or whatever

As to the link: there is no reason to detox at all, your body does this all by itself.

I'm not detoxing. I'm using the smoothie recipes as a base to make shakes for my early mornings while driving and eating a breakfast later in the day at work.

Basically I'm an idiot and I don't know how to make a smoothie without directions. And I want to get more vitamins and nutrients in my diet. That's just the link that has the smoothie recipe jpg I have saved on Pinterest
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    All great info, thanks ladies!
    Need to master a great chocolate one :)

1 cup spinach
    1/2 frozen banana
    1/2 cup frozen dark sweet cherries or strawberries
    1/2 cup almond milk
    1/2 cup water
    1 TB ground flax seed
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder (I like Slimquick Pure in Double Chocolate)
    1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
    dash of cinnamon
    1/2 tsp almond extract (optional but I LOVE it with the cherry)
  • Hearts_2015
    Options

You can also buy drinkable yogurt in single-serve portions. Just grab one and go!

Lifeway Kefir is great! I had a couple 8 oz. size from an earlier purchase..a really handy size. I purchase the larger bottles when on sale and refill the small bottles so it's more of a grab and go thing. Found it to be quite handy. :smiley:
  • gigit10
    gigit10 Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I don't know how much shakeology is. But I use Lean One Smoothie Protein Powder. It's the same stuff that is used at Smoothie King. I replace breakfast with it. I blend a half of a banana, a handful of frozen strawberries, 6-8 oz of water, 6-8 ice cubes, a drizzle of honey...and blitz that together. It's just under 300 cal. On Amazon, a large tub is $30. That usually lasts me 3-4 weeks. I don't do smoothies on weekends. I love the strawberry and vanilla powders.
  • twistedingenue
    twistedingenue Posts: 38 Member
    Options

I would. One thing you could do is prep your breakfast for the entire week on the weekend, that way all you need to do is heat and eat.

I'm currently prepping a sweet potato hash with chicken, apples, and onions. Since I can eat at work, I just heat it up when I get hungry.

@twistedingenue
    Do you have an actual recipe you use or do you just toss things together for your hash? It sounds delicious and a great thing to make ahead of time for when you need it. Please share! Thanks :smiley:

I had never made a hash before so I used this recipe for technique, and used the following ingredients instead.:

14 ounce, Sweet Potato
    • 1 lb(s), Ground Chicken
    • 96.00 gram, Onion
    • 1 T., Butter
    • 5 ounce, Green Apple

I may increase the amount of butter next time, so that I can get the potatoes just a little crispier

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Also keep in mind, they won't allow anyone to independently verify that Shakeology contains what they say it does, and if so, how much. So you are paying a premium for all these fancy ingredients that could be in such small doses they are useless. Just buy protein powder and pulse it up with a liquid, some veggies, and maybe some chia or flaxseed and you'll probably come out ahead :drinker:

if you google pharmacist and shakeology - you'll find a good post on it where he breaks it down

pharmadaddy.blogspot.com/2013/07/shakeology-shaking-up-its-foundations.html
  • Hearts_2015
    edited March 2017
    Options

@twistedingenue

I had never made a hash before so I used this recipe for technique, and used the following ingredients instead.:

14 ounce, Sweet Potato
    • 1 lb(s), Ground Chicken
    • 96.00 gram, Onion
    • 1 T., Butter
    • 5 ounce, Green Apple

I may increase the amount of butter next time, so that I can get the potatoes just a little crispier
    @twistedingenue
    Thank you! :smiley: