Beautiful Behaviors - March 2017

Options

Replies

• theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. My personal superpower has always been kicking myself. The nicer I got to myself and the more forgiving, the more I was able to let dumb crap go and move on. Next! I say, imagine you're talking to your bff and she said the same. You would be so supportive and gentle with her/him! Do the same to yourself and give your injured feelings a break. Oh well on yoga and the dentist sucks but will keep you alive! (Oral hygiene has a proven link to health and longevity) take care of yourself this week and choose supportive actions to change your mood. (ie watching cat videos). Have a great week!
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    @AlisalGal - glad you're committing and that we will have you back (myselfish reason - I get to hear from you lol)
    @aleahurst - thanks, I hardly ever curl my hair so I have to take a pic when I do. Good for you taking a day off is needed. Also your dinner sounds magical, the scenery and walking.
    @jessiquoi - you know I have thoughts like that. you deserve rest and what I call a mental health day. As a matter of fact I took one yesterday. so learn to enjoy!

Update: I ate Mexican food and Chinese food and enjoyed it all (I couldn't finish either meal, this is becoming a habit). But the rest of the weekend I ate healthy - so 2 indulgent meals are not going to break me. I believe more people should just enjoy themselves and not beat themselves up about such things. Also, I took yesterday off from the working out. I could have worked out, I had no good reason to skip, I stayed in my pj's all day. Guess what?! I don't feel bad at all. I needed a rest day and a "me" day, so I took one. Because also, guess what?! - I know I am going to kill my workouts this week, so 1 day off is not going to determine my week or my junky meals are not going to determine my healthy eating habits for this week. Once I changed my mindset to this, it changed my relationship with food and my happiness. I still eat delicious things, I just have a better balance now.

Thought for the day: Believe in yourself. It's so simple :smiley:
  • KimF0715
    KimF0715 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Ugh! @jessiquoi Hope the dental stuff goes smoothly and painlessly!
  • aleahurst
    aleahurst Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I'm going to crawl off to bed. My mother and I ran errands today and she ran circles around me. I am beat.
  • KimF0715
    Options
    @happysherri I am trying to catch up with everything and everyone....so I am reading backward. Keeping your Dad lifted up in prayer...God bless him!
  • KimF0715
    Options
    @trailgirl777 Praying for you. Keep up your strength and don't get ahead of yourself. Sending good thoughts to you.
  • KimF0715
    Options
    I am getting back on track with Self Care and Beautiful Behaviors. I tried to catch up, but I started getting dizzy reading everything backwards.

So....I am sending everyone good thoughts, positive vibes, and self care love!

I'll check in again tomorrow. :) Slow but sure....

Kim
  • CT0526
    CT0526 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I haven't checked in lately because my mother's dementia has declined. She is on hospice care and it is only a matter of days before she leaves us. But her mind will be at peace once again. These last few days have been bittersweet. I've been by her side as her many sisters, friends and other family members have been visiting to say their goodbyes.

I have been able to stick with my calorie goals but exercise has been put on the back burner. The staff at her facility has encouraged me to take a break and walk outside so that's been helpful.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day and hug those loved ones a little bit closer.

Wishing you Beautiful Behaviors!
  • KimF0715
    Options
    @CT0526 Do the best you can. My prayers are with you. I have been exactly where you are. Rest when you can...eat as nutritiously as you can.....but be gentle with yourself. <3
  • happysherri
    Options
    @KimF0715 - thank you so much. I'm glad to see you in here and hope you continue to care for yourself no matter what that means.
    @CT0526 - So sorry and prayers and hugs to you. I have been in that situation and I would forget to eat trying to take care of my mom. I got really thin, please remember to get your nutrition. Don't worry about us, we will be here. Do what you need to do and hang in there.
    Hope everyone else is doing well.

Update: I completed 72 minutes of back and biceps and it felt good. My bf had a moment driving home from the gym (he's my gym partner, I love it). He seemed down and I asked what was wrong. He said 'I looked in the mirror and I'm FAT!' I said 'YOU ARE NOT FAT!' Him-'I have a gut.' I said 'First of all you are not fat, I know you are watching the road driving but I'm rolling my eyes. Second if you want, you can buy some food and I will prepare it for you and you can take your lunch to work, I suggest more calories and more protein.' *I know men have those moments too. But as women, I feel we rarely get to see that side. Men usually don't share that and I hate for anyone not to love their body at any stage of their journey. Skinny, Fat, Being Fit, whatever doesn't automatically make you happy or fix all of your problems.

Thought of the day: Life has it's ups and downs, we call them squats. **Simply because I thought it was cute and ups and downs come and go. Key part to that is they go, so learn to let go and move forward for You!
  • rdevol
    rdevol Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    @CT0526 I am new to the forum, but wanted to say how sorry I am you have to go through this with your mother. My mother passed away from Alzheimer's 15 years ago. It is hard to let go, but as you said, it's also comforting to know her mind will be at peace again. Sending prayers for you and your family.
  • jessiquoi
    jessiquoi Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    @CT0526 my thoughts are with you. be kind to yourself!

@Sherri, in case i haven't said it yet, love the new pic!
  • aleahurst
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @CT0526 - I'm so sorry. Warm thoughts and prayer going out to you.

Today, I tried to rest up from yesterday. Whew!

I planted a peach tree, and a bunch of sweet clover. I dug a trench across my waterlogged back yard to try to direct storm water away from my plants. I want them watered,not washed away! Tomorrow, I will find a place to plant carrots. And I ate violets for dinner, picking my salad as I walked back to the house.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/aleahurst

Fun B)
  • aleahurst
    Options
    As of today, I am about to practice six days of abrupt change. I will log my food with no care of calorie value. While weight loss is still a big issue, I have no more inner strength for it. Eating for strength and peace will be my goal starting today.

Love to all. Find joy in your journey.

Lea
  • fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    KimF0715 wrote: »
    Hi all! Hope things are going well.

Going to use the weekend to regroup, rest and meal plan. I am exhausted.

I had been very proud of myself for busting out of my funk and depression and being as uplifting as possible. I am going to have to struggle with this again.

Funeral was yesterday.

The capsule version of the story: I lost my mother in 2011 to cancer. She was only 59. It was a major tragedy for my whole family. She not only left me, my dad and my brother behind, but her own father and two sisters. My grandfather passed away about 3 years later, in his 80s.

My mother's two sisters (all three were close in age...only a year apart each) rallied around me. I was left without my mother and they wanted to be sure to be there for me. And for my 7 year old daughter, who was very attached to my mom. She had been the oldest of the three.

In 2015, the middle sister was diagnosed with cancer as well. She fought for a year and a half, and we buried her in December of 2016 at the age of 63. I was shaken to my core. God took my aunt as well. Why?

My mother's youngest sister was completely heartbroken and lost. She was doing her best to keep her chin up, with a new grandchild on the way...busily planning her daughter's shower.

She needed to have a hernia repaired. She entered the hospital on March 13. During surgery, something went wrong, she became septic and never had a chance. She died on March 15, at the age of 62. Just three months after her sister.

We are all completely shell shocked.

I'm doing my very best, but I think I'm going to struggle for a while. If nothing else, logging meals and trying to exercise will be very good self care. But my go-get-'em attitude is lost.

I keep on swimming.....but I feel like I'm drowning.

Ttys....Kim

I'm so sorry for your loss.
  • fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    aleahurst wrote: »
    Yesterday, I took a day off from taking care of myself. Not that I planned it. I just wore out. I took my mother and my son to dinner. It was my son's birthday. We sat at a table where we watched buzzard hawks soaring over about ten miles of rocky deep valley. We looked down over the waterfalls. We walked the boardwalk. Mom wasn't up to the 12.5 mile hike around the falls. I wasn't quite that energetic either.

I met my step goal. I met my water goal. Then Mom bought us an all-natural chocolate bar to split for desert. It was soooo good. It contained raw sugar, instead of natural sugar. It had raw vanilla. It had raw cacao nibs. mmmmm. I didn't log a thing and I have no idea how I would re-create it!

So, I start over today! And, I'll keep my feet away from Jess! Yes I am ticklish!

@romade188 - Welcome! We will sure encourage you to be good to you! You need to come here about once a day and talk to us, we will respond. We're like that.

@happysherri - I love the new pic! wooo!

@trailgirl777 - okay! good news! Now.... Take good care of you.

@KimF0715 - What an event. I'm so sorry for your family. I'll keep you and yours in prayer for a while, okay?

@kittens_info - What you described is quite common. Me and so many others have those kinds of moments. You don't have to make it through a month of dieting. You don't have to make it through a week. You don't even have to make it through a day! You only have to make it through right now. So, take care of yourself in this moment. Make a decision to live as though right now is meaningful. Because in the end, "right now" is the pivotal moment when all things matter. Now, there will come a day when I'll need you to preach that back at me!

@CT0526 - Good job of staying active! wooo!

Okay. my next challenge is to prep food for six days. I'm not sure what this means for me. I have ingredients and will have to wander about the house and yard and just make decisions. I rarely prep food. So, this is a very new challenge!

I'm bored already. Six days of prepping food? ugh!

Who here is willing to hold me accountable? I secretly hope nobody wants to and I still know it is the right thing....

Love to all

Lea

I will log all my food with you.....and do my best to prep food. I always cook more than needed to have lunches for a couple days.

So, sorry Charlie, you're not off the hook!!
  • happysherri
    Options
    @aleahurst - I love how you are so close with nature. I seem to always be indoors, even when it's nice out. I'm a city girl. Also - wonderful work knowing when you need rest but holding yourself accountable.
    @fruitydelicious - so glad that you are preparing food and tracking, great work.

Update: I had a wonderful dinner with my son on my rest day last night. I have not been sleeping well this week and I am exhausted between work and going to the gym and running around with my son. So, I will probably listen to my body and rest tonight. I am dog sitting for my sister's dog. I have no animals, but I love animals. The dog is 12 years old and she is so gentle and sweet and a great dog. I'm spoiling her.

Thought for the day: You create your own calm. *** A lot of times this is true. I have road rage, I'm working on this. The other day I drove to work at peace. Why should I get worked up just because someone cuts me off or drives the way they do. It's not helping the situation if I curse at them, alone in my car, or carry that anger through the rest of my commute?! ***Find 1 way that you could be more peaceful and work on it. It feels refreshing, I'm telling you!
  • aleahurst
    Options
    This is day 3 for me and @fruitydelicious . We are eating for strength and peace regardless of calorie content. Yesterday, I baked a whole chicken and today I will remove the bone for making bone broth, and then I will make wild rice in the broth and finally put rice and chicken into individual servings containers.
  • aleahurst
    Options
    @happysherri - I am glad I read your entire post. You always put the best stuff at the end.

• aleahurst
    Options
    Why am I so chatty today????!!

https://youtu.be/RTaGX1y0xj8

I think these folks may be my relatives.

My reasons for thinking that:
    1. How many skinny ones do you see? Nope.
    2. LOUD. You should hear our Thanksgiving dinner.... Who's going shopping tomorrow? Me. Me. Where's my tablet? Mom! Who said me? Mom! Ou! Was that a Barbie shoe?
    3. My face looks like it belongs in their families.
    4. Grandma? You liked dances when you were little? Wait, your band only had a drum? Who dances to just a drum? Oh. You all sang to the drum. Are you really Irish?