Trying to find a puppy and so frustrated!

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Found a Bernese puppy... then turned it down because I just can't imagine having a dog for only 6-8 years. One of the hardest things I've done!

Then I found the biggest newfoundland ever in a parking lot... and it kinda turned me off. So gorgeous, but I'm not sure I can deal with that coat/size either. Can't really imagine taking a monster like that hiking either.

So back to looking at rescue puppies and hoping (I did apply for one, but she'd been on the site for a few days and her littermates were gone, so I'm not holding my breath). I don't really want a lab or pit mix so it limits options greatly... and unless I really fall in love with one, I'm trying to avoid black dogs too, as my dog has a bad history with them (mostly males though I think). Also prefer dogs that don't have a short coat, so we'll wait and see...

You might look consider a golden retriever. Very family friendly, big but not HUGE, beautiful coat but not horribly grooming intensive, and they live 10 to 12, 15 at the outside, years. My golden mix is gorgeous and so sweet! He's 6 1/2 now. Hip dysplasia is a consideration if you're looking for a pure bred puppy.

We had a golden retriever and it's a possibility for sure... I'd just rather get a dog from rescue than a breeder, honestly, considering that it's just as much of a pain to find a good breeder, and then we'll have to go through the same application process anyway (and it will cost much more). And yeah, if going the purebred route, I want a dog that has parents tested for dysplasia, so it's a pain to find anyway...

We'll see how I feel in the next few months I guess, if I haven't found anything by then. It's just frustrating!
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    So update, husband said yes for a Newfoundland, and I'm considering a Bernese Mountain Dog

I'm still only looking at puppies because I'm honestly just nervous to introduce an adult dog to our dog (and cat, and kids), and puppies are just easier that way. I'm opening up to a female though because it might be easier with our adult male... just really don't want to deal with heats, which I suppose isn't a huge deal as we're planning to neuter any.

Bernese Mountain dogs are very nice dogs.

About the adult dogs and other pets... I'm not good at training puppies and putting up with their energy. I love collies and always adopt from a collie rescue. I was concerned about the very issue you mention, so I gave the rescue a list of what I wanted (a gentle dog with good manners that got along well with cats and other dogs). The rescue volunteers live with the dogs and can tell you about their personalities, where with a puppy you don't know until later. You might consider that if it's too hard to find a puppy.

Another pothole -- I found out the hard way over the years that some breeders and rescues are good and some aren't.

Good luck. Hope you find your dream dog.
  • 40Marbles
    40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
    We've done both the breeder and rescue route. I understand your concerns about the size and shedding (and drool, don't forget drool) of a Newf. Ours is about 170 lb. and when he sheds it's like tumbleweeds. He's also very happy and friendly to people he knows. I don't know if he would be a good hiker though, he poops out pretty quickly on walks.
    We also have a shepherd mix that we got from a rescue. She's the most lovable little thing you could have.
    If you go the rescue route, I'd suggest finding a local rescue or 2 and get your application accepted. Then just wait for the right dog to become available. My sister is going through this right now. It's sometimes difficult as the rescue gets multiple apps for one dog, so having a pre-approved application may give you a leg up.
    Good luck - you'll find the right one. 11gutswar703.jpg
  • Francl27
    edited March 2017
    40Marbles wrote: »
    We've done both the breeder and rescue route. I understand your concerns about the size and shedding (and drool, don't forget drool) of a Newf. Ours is about 170 lb. and when he sheds it's like tumbleweeds. He's also very happy and friendly to people he knows. I don't know if he would be a good hiker though, he poops out pretty quickly on walks.
    We also have a shepherd mix that we got from a rescue. She's the most lovable little thing you could have.
    If you go the rescue route, I'd suggest finding a local rescue or 2 and get your application accepted. Then just wait for the right dog to become available. My sister is going through this right now. It's sometimes difficult as the rescue gets multiple apps for one dog, so having a pre-approved application may give you a leg up.
    Good luck - you'll find the right one. 11gutswar703.jpg

Awwwwww he's so gorgeous!!! Both of them, lol.

But yeah, it's a heart versus brain thing. I love them so much... but realistically, I'm not sure it's really the dog for me right now.

I'll keep sending applications as I find puppies I like, I sent one yesterday and I'm waiting to hear back. Our current dog was a rescue and it was SO easy in comparison, honestly. My husband is a bit of a pain about it though so it doesn't help.

• klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    My three rescues are 1) an aussie collie cross with blue eyes, we got her at 18 months via local rescue that I found on Petfinder. 2) red and white border collie cross (no clue as to what she is crossed with) that we got at 18 months from the same rescue group. c) a jack russell, lord knows what else cross that is a year old, and is outwitting me on a daily basis. Adorable, but a handful.

I have also owned Brittanys, and they are amazing dogs, good natured, get along with everyone, just hard to find, because they are so good, they get adopted quickly.
  • Francl27
    Well I found three puppies that could be a good fit, so I had to send three applications, just so that I have a chance at seeing the pups. I'm not very happy with the idea that my friends might be spammed by calls for something that might not work out, to be honest, but I hope at least one of the 3 will work out. They're all mixes from breeds that should be good hiking dogs (two Aussies, one husky, 4 months or younger).

Now the real waiting game begins to see if at least I get accepted by the rescue, then if the pups are still available and if they are a good fit (one of them was posted today but there's only really a tiny picture and not much of a description associated to her). And I guess I'll have to joggle pup visits with my kids' activities...
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    We just adopted a chocolate lab mix a couple of days ago. They required that my adult dog come and visit the puppy. And adoption fees were several hundred dollars. But we got a shnoogly little puppers. :)
  • Francl27
    I emailed back about my application status for the one I really want, they contacted my vet, and just need to contact my references now (today hopefully - I did give my friends the heads-up). Then she said we're good to go. I'm cautiously excited... I really want that puppy! Busy evenings and days ahead though so I hope we can find the time for whatever comes next...
  • Sara1791
    I emailed back about my application status for the one I really want, they contacted my vet, and just need to contact my references now (today hopefully - I did give my friends the heads-up). Then she said we're good to go. I'm cautiously excited... I really want that puppy! Busy evenings and days ahead though so I hope we can find the time for whatever comes next...

Did they make you leave a deposit? If you did, you're probably going to get her/him. Cautiously optimistic FOR you!
  • Francl27
    Sara1791 wrote: »

Did they make you leave a deposit? If you did, you're probably going to get her/him. Cautiously optimistic FOR you!

Not even there yet. They make you fill an application just to see the puppy (she's in foster care). Guessing the next step is either a home visit or visiting her.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member

Good luck with your puppy search!

We don't get to have pets because of allergies but I remember trying to find a new dog for my parents. They had a huge yard and had pets previously but any rescue organizations were concerned the yard wasn't fenced...although it was by a natural "fence" of spruce trees and more trees at the back but I digress. Hope you get a puppy I'll be looking here for pics. And crazy they have to check references but better to be safe
  • klkarlen

Running a reputable rescue is hard work, so good for your for being patient. That will go a long way in getting accepted. Can't wait to see pictures!
  • Francl27
    My first reference got the call. I'm not sure the other two will pick up the phone though so it might be a while... then it would be visiting her to see if she's a good fit. Apparently the puppy is popular though so I'm getting pretty nervous, honestly, that it will take too long and she'll be adopted by someone else. Bleh. This is so stressful!!!

Still no word about the other puppies I've applied to, but this is the one I really want.
  • klkarlen
    Some of the rescues are run by folks with full time jobs, so they might not get to your application until the weekend.
    I hope you get the pup that you want, fingers crossed for you.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    I volunteered for a rescue back before I had kids. They usually are run by volunteers, and the dogs are often in a foster home rather than a kennel with a storefront where you can just go whenever you want, so yeah, be patient. I know they can seem like a pain in the *kitten*, and some of them really are, I'm sure, but most are doing the best they can and they've seen enough idiots that they've got good reason to be kind of jaded and distrustful. All of my dogs have been rescues.

Good luck finding your schmoodle. We expect pictures, you know.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    :smiley:

So cute!
  • Sara1791
    *gasp*. so cute! congratulations!
  • Francl27
    It was actually so easy... I think I got really lucky. Can't believe I actually got the one I really wanted! She's such a cutie.