2»

Replies

• jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    misha1505 wrote: »
    Hey Guys!

Please can you guys help me partner is a PT and has given me a work out plan and I feel like its really manly. It includes squats, benchpress, bent over row, overhead press, dips and pull ups.

The workout for me feels to advanced as a newbie but most of all I feel stupid walking into the gym doing this sort of thing. Any tips?

I am also eating 1800 calories a day and want to lose weight but its a yo yo I go up and down.....I am so young and want to look good for this summer for the first time feel good.

Any suggestions for staying focused? Staying motivated and feeling like a women while lifitng?

No manly at all. I do most of those (no full pullups right now) and am pretty sure I haven't become a man :wink:

Women have the same muscles as men and can absolutely use the same exercises. I really don't understand what you mean by suggestions on how to feel like a woman while lifting. It's not something I think about while lifting other than when I get weak for a few days around my period and get mad about it.

oooohhhhh. THAT'S what this is. this week was a deload week for me and my squats still felt wonky, i didn't even think about TOM. thank you for that insight!

also, i think strong lifts is a great program for beginners and i second, or third, the gender neutrality of lifting. strength is for everyone.

also gonna drop this link, cause it's super helpful.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys!

Please can you guys help me partner is a PT and has given me a work out plan and I feel like its really manly. It includes squats, benchpress, bent over row, overhead press, dips and pull ups.

The workout for me feels to advanced as a newbie but most of all I feel stupid walking into the gym doing this sort of thing. Any tips?

I am also eating 1800 calories a day and want to lose weight but its a yo yo I go up and down.....I am so young and want to look good for this summer for the first time feel good.

Any suggestions for staying focused? Staying motivated and feeling like a women while lifitng?

Not manly at all. I do all of those lifts. I started out light, using the smaller barbells with the attached weights, and worked my way up to the big barbell. I eat 1800 calories a day and am in a deficit so it can be done based on your stats. Not every person is the same.

Just one note of warning. You will see changes in your body but to get the really sculpted body it will take zeroing in on your food and lifting for a long time. It usually takes people years to get that tight, lean, sculpted look.

Not saying you won't see improvements by summer, but I also don't want you to have unrealistic expectations then get frustrated when you don't see the results you want and quit.

Creating the kind of body you want takes a lot of time.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    There really isn't a difference between lifting as a woman and lifting as a man. If I'm starting a new program, I have to figure out my starting weights, but men do too. Mine might be lower than some people's, but they're higher than other people's (and any of the programs people have mentioned upthread will tell you how to figure them out). Once I'm in the gym, I usually have to adjust the equipment so that it works for my height, but men do too. None of the changes I have to make are necessarily because I'm a woman -- they're because my body is individual, and it's not exactly the same height/size/strength as any other body out there.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hey Guys!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10532671/youll-get-bulky
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hey Guys!

Those aren't "manly"...those are traditional compound movements which should be the foundation of any good lifting program regardless of your sex. Those movements are also found on any beginner lifting program worth it's salt...they aren't advanced movements.

My wife does all of those things and then some...she looks lean, healthy, vibrant, and fit.

ETA: if you're not ready for a barbell, you can do variations of these movements.
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I totally understand feeling intimidated in the weights room. Most others in there when I lift are male, young, and strong. I take the attitude that since I'm weaker and older (and need more to protect my strength), and female (and need more to protect my bones), that the weights area is really MY domain, and I just let these guys in. It's just a mental trick, but it lets me walk around feeling like I absolutely belong there (and I do!).
  • Vanguard1
    Vanguard1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Any advice for programs for my 14 year old daughter? She is currently has been doing Stronglifts with me (just to make sure she sticks with it) for about 3 weeks, but she is already beginning to stall. I would like to get her started on something of her own. In the basement we have a squat cage, barbell, dumbells, bench, curl bar and a power tower. Thanks
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Vanguard1 wrote: »
    Any advice for programs for my 14 year old daughter? She is currently has been doing Stronglifts with me (just to make sure she sticks with it) for about 3 weeks, but she is already beginning to stall. I would like to get her started on something of her own. In the basement we have a squat cage, barbell, dumbells, bench, curl bar and a power tower. Thanks

@Vanguard1 Getting some smaller plates for smaller increases may help. Switching over to 5x3 instead of 5x5 may help as well, I know that Mark Rippetoe has written about women doing well with 5x3 (that matches my experience too.)

However, if she's looking for something different from the 5s, 5s, sets of 5s thing, Strong Curves by Bret Contreras is great. It's a book that has 4 programs. One is full body all bodyweight exercises. Two are full body (beginner and advanced) lifting programs. The fourth is a lifting program for lower body only. Plus, he includes a template for building your own program. Plus plus, a big chunk of the book is an exercise glossary that shows several different exercises for each type of movement so if you don't have the equipment to do X, you can do Z, etc.
  • mcraw75
    mcraw75 Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Consult her pediatrician. Lifting weights over body weight can damage growth plates in children.
  • Vanguard1
    Vanguard1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

@Vanguard1 Getting some smaller plates for smaller increases may help. Switching over to 5x3 instead of 5x5 may help as well, I know that Mark Rippetoe has written about women doing well with 5x3 (that matches my experience too.)

However, if she's looking for something different from the 5s, 5s, sets of 5s thing, Strong Curves by Bret Contreras is great. It's a book that has 4 programs. One is full body all bodyweight exercises. Two are full body (beginner and advanced) lifting programs. The fourth is a lifting program for lower body only. Plus, he includes a template for building your own program. Plus plus, a big chunk of the book is an exercise glossary that shows several different exercises for each type of movement so if you don't have the equipment to do X, you can do Z, etc.

Thanks
  • KickboxFanatic
    KickboxFanatic Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    mcraw75 wrote: »

Consult her pediatrician. Lifting weights over body weight can damage growth plates in children.

No, it actually doesn't. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3445252/
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Consult her pediatrician. Lifting weights over body weight can damage growth plates in children.[/quote]

Myth.
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »

I don't need to feel like a woman because I am a woman. I mean, that's just a basic fact of my existence. Nothing I can do short of gender reassignment surgery is going to turn me into a man. This is true no matter how I'm dressed, whether or not I'm wearing makeup, or how much I'm squatting.

Femininity isn't a clubbing outfit. If you're worried about putting it on or being seen without it in public, you probably borrowed it from women's magazines. It's not yours. Give it back and get your own.

Succinctly nailed it. Going to quote it from now on. <3
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I hit 80lbs on bench press for 5 reps this morning. I felt very accomplished and proud of myself.

That's what lifting does to you. It makes you feel strong and confident.
  • Cattree2002
    Cattree2002 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I hit 80lbs on bench press for 5 reps this morning. I felt very accomplished and proud of myself.

That's what lifting does to you. It makes you feel strong and confident.

Ooh! Me too! We're awesome!! :smiley: