Sugar in fruit???

Options
christiantripodi
christiantripodi Posts: 13 Member
edited March 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
the way MFP is set up, sugar from both fruit and processed foods are in the same category for sugar intake. but is eating a lot of sugar through fruit actually bad? will it cause weight gain?

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    cdover2 wrote: »
    My son (sports writer, nutritionist) tells me that the sugar in fruit is not bad as long as you're not a diabetic. Tells me to ignore the sugar counts.

Same goes for other sugars. It's all the same. It either fits in your calorie goals for the day, or it doesn't. Exception is actual medical reasons (like diabetes).
  • ClaraKnepper
    ClaraKnepper Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Different fruits have different levels of sugar. You can research where to get the most nutritional bang for your buck. Berries are usually pretty good, for instance. Also a roasted potato has 70% of your daily vitamin c and more potassium than a banana. So keep in mind other nutrient sources. Eating an actual piece of fruit is wayyyy better than drinking juice too. All things in moderation! Even fruit :)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Different fruits have different levels of sugar. You can research where to get the most nutritional bang for your buck. Berries are usually pretty good, for instance. Also a roasted potato has 70% of your daily vitamin c and more potassium than a banana. So keep in mind other nutrient sources. Eating an actual piece of fruit is wayyyy better than drinking juice too. All things in moderation! Even fruit :)

I ... truth here... love snacking on cold boiled potatoes. I boil up a whole bunch of smallish ones and they are a very satisfying, filling snack. I'm a weirdo!

Saying that, there's nothing wrong with fruit or fruit sugar. All of the sensible, informed guidance about sugar is in regards to added, not inherent sugars like those in whole fruits.

As to another point raised in this thread, most diabetics need to worry about total carbohydrates rather than sugar, as far as I know. My grandfather was a diabetic and I can remember him eating bananas all the time.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    If you like your fruit, don't have a medical problem limiting fruit intake, and it fits within your calorie allowance (I always make sure it fits) eat up with enjoyment rather than guilt and don't limit particular fruits you enjoy simply because of their higher sugar content. There is so much goodness in a piece of fruit.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    the way MFP is set up, sugar from both fruit and processed foods are in the same category for sugar intake. but is eating a lot of sugar through fruit actually bad? will it cause weight gain?

No, it won't cause weight gain, and no it's not bad (within reason), but neither will eating sugar from other sources.

What causes weight gain is eating above your maintenance calories.

What maximizes body comp (gaining muscle/losing fat, depending on where you are in the process and total calories) is (a) not eating too far above or below maintenance, (b) getting enough protein (.8 g/lb of a healthy goal weight, or maybe a bit more if you are bulking), and (c) your exercise/strength training routine.

With respect to sugar from fruit or any other nutrient dense food, I look at it as follows:

(1) Is my diet in check with the calories?

(2) Am I getting enough protein?

(3) Am I eating lots of vegetables?

(4) Am I getting enough healthy fats?

If yes to all of these, eat away.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

No difference between sugar in fruit and sugar in a can of coke. Sugar is sugar. Fruit is natures candy. If you don't have a problem with sugar, then eat it. Sugar does not cause weight gain, extra calories do.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Sugar doesn't cause weight gain...excess calories cause weight gain.

Sugar is sugar...your body doesn't distinguish between sugars in fruit or added sugars...it's all sugar to the body. Fruit has the added benefit of more vitamins and minerals and fiber...but the sugar is still just sugar. That may or may not be relevant to you...my dad was a type II diabetic and he had to watch his fruit and stuck primarily with berries...because it didn't matter if he was getting sugar from a banana or an apple or from a piece of candy...the sugar was still sugar.
  • kcannis
    kcannis Posts: 10 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Sugar in fruit will not cause you to gain weight the same way raw sugar will; like candy and pastries, refined sugars. However, too much fruit will make you gain weight. Eat berries--like strawberries. If I'm craving something sugary, I will eat 3 apples or 2 cups of strawberries before I'll eat 2 pieces of cake. I won't gain weight from the apples. I will from the 2 pieces of cake.
  • kcannis
    Options
    You can eat a lot more apples than you can candy bars. A calorie is just not a calorie.
  • kcannis
    Options
    We Asked: Joy Dubost, R.D., is a nutritionist, food scientist and a spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.

The Answer: Whether it’s in a piece of fruit, your soda or a pastry, sugar is made up of the same two components: fructose and glucose. The molecular structure and composition of sugar molecules is the same no matter where they come from.

The ratios of fructose and glucose are pretty much the same in both fruit and table sugar. Most fruits are 40 to 55 percent fructose (there’s some variation: 65 percent in apples and pears; 20 percent in cranberries), and table sugar (aka sucrose) is 50/50. Neither type of sugar is better or worse for you, but your body processes them differently. [/b]Fructose breaks down in your liver and doesn’t provoke an insulin response. Glucose starts to break down in the stomach and requires the release of insulin into the bloodstream to be metabolized completely.

Don’t get the idea that because the sugar composition is the same in fruit and cake, they’re interchangeable. (Seriously, they’re not.) For one thing, fruit offers good stuff like vitamins, antioxidants and water, while candy and desserts are nutritionally void. Fruit also tends to have less sugar by volume. Half a cup of strawberries: 3.5 grams of sugar. Half a cup of strawberry ice cream: 15 grams.

Plus, whole fruit has a lot of fiber, which actually slows down your body’s digestion of glucose, so you don’t get the crazy insulin spike (and subsequent crash) that candy causes. That also means your body has more time to use up glucose as fuel before storing it — as fat. Even dried fruit, a notoriously sugary treat, has all the fiber and nutrients of its plump forbear. But do watch out for dried fruits with added sugar(check the nutrition label), and don’t eat a ton just because they’re smaller. Picture how many pieces are in a handful of raisins compared with a handful of grapes. See what we mean?

On average, Americans don’t eat enough fruit, so don’t cut it out of your diet in an attempt to limit your sugar intake! Sugar itself isn’t toxic. But getting too much of it from cookies and cake is.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    MFP is always telling me I've had too much sugar, because I eat fruit, vegetables, milk, and oatmeal. I just ignore it. If I weren't eating a healthy diet, then it might be a good wake-up call though.

The sugar in fruit is fine. Along with it comes fiber and water, so you're not especially likely to overeat it, and it will fill you up. If you're drinking sugary sodas, on the other hand, it can be easy to gulp down a lot of sugar and calories without noticing it. I don't drink fruit juice for the same reason I don't drink sugary sodas.

Also, sodas and other sugar-sweetened foods usually have a lot more sugar in them than fruit does. A can of Coke has about 39g, and an average apple or pear has about half that.