Weight fluctuation in day

Options
Hello was curious to understand why my weight fluctuates in day around 2 lb is there any specific time when I should check it

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Water weight, undigested food weight, etc.

Pick one time of day to weigh yourself and stick with it. The most logical time is after you wake up and go to the bathroom, before you eat or get dressed. But whatever time you choose, stick with it :)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Just check it at the same time each day.

Some times it will be up, sometimes down but it should move on a downwards trend.
  • amtbhatnagar
    amtbhatnagar Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks @kimny72 @VintageFeline that's quick n helpful
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    The most logical time to weigh in is in the morning before you've ingested anything and with empty bladder and bowels. That said, you're still always going to have water fluctuations as well as more/less inherent waste in your system, etc. If you weigh yourself after ingesting foods or liquids, that's obviously going to show up on the scale as food and whatnot have mass and thus weight...
  • amtbhatnagar
    amtbhatnagar Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I will check n keep tab on morning weight cool n not check in night :-)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I will check n keep tab on morning weight cool n not check in night :-)

Also, find a trending app (I use trendweight.com) to focus more on what your weight is doing over time vs. what the number is today. Realize it will still go up and down daily, but should trend down if you are trying to lose weight.
  • TheJourneyToFabulous
    TheJourneyToFabulous Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Yes I can put up to 5lbs on in a day. Weighing in the morning after toileting and as little clothing as possible
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    weight is not a static number. There are so many things that will affect it and it will vary throughout the day..

I have access to scales at work. I've monitored my weight during the day and it really is an eye-opening lesson. My weight has varied anywhere from two to five pounds over the course of eight hours.

Some of the things that will affect your weight. what did you eat the day before. If it was salty or you consumed alcohol you'll retain water weight more than non-alcoholic or salty things. Your bathroom movements during the day will affect you. How much water did you drink over the course of a day. Are you using the same scale to weigh yourself or using different scales. The calibration of scales will vary from scale to scale sometimes. I think you're getting the picture of what I'm talking about.

Myself I like to weigh myself at 9 o'clock in the morning and use that as my reference point.
  • HGarcia1527
    HGarcia1527 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates around six pounds a day so don't worry. I weigh in during the morning and by 5pm I'm up three-six pounds
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Why is there a "best time" to weigh yourself? It struck me just now that people are trying to avoid the time when fluids are higher. Fluids are a fact of life right? It's going to be there to varying degrees all day long every day. If you're looking for long-term fat loss (which is really the only way to tell if you are losing fat), the trend is all that matters. STEVE142142 above has it right.

Fluid retention doesn't just go up and down by the day, it goes up and down during the day. Folks that are looking to weigh in the morning after going to the bathroom and before eating I'm guessing are looking for the lowest number possible. In my case, the lower number possible is usually after my afternoon workout where I've sweated out a bunch of fluid. I record my weight whenever I feel like it and watch the trend. (And I'm a bit of a stats and numbers geek, so I enjoy observing the process).

All I care about is losing fat - I want my body to do what it does with fluids. If my trend is good and my CICO is on target, I don't worry about the scale day to day...at all.
  • kimdoucet
    kimdoucet Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just as someone else mentioned, fluid retention can be a big factor. Depending on how much sodium you've had etc. Additionally for every gram of carbohydrates consumed we can retain about 3 gram of water, which can easily look like 2-3lbs added on the scale.

Like others mentioned weigh first thing in the morning. I would also suggest not to check your weight the following day after a heavy carby meal.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Feel lucky its only 2 lbs,I weigh myself in the morning and by night I'm 10 lbs heavier!

This is me as well! That's why I started my DietBet challenge with and evening weigh and will finish with one in the morning, first month's loss goal already in the bank.
  • skinnycow1234567
    skinnycow1234567 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Its normal like everyone said..I fluctuate about 4-5lbs from am to pm..
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Why is there a "best time" to weigh yourself? It struck me just now that people are trying to avoid the time when fluids are higher. Fluids are a fact of life right? It's going to be there to varying degrees all day long every day. If you're looking for long-term fat loss (which is really the only way to tell if you are losing fat), the trend is all that matters. STEVE142142 above has it right.

Fluid retention doesn't just go up and down by the day, it goes up and down during the day. Folks that are looking to weigh in the morning after going to the bathroom and before eating I'm guessing are looking for the lowest number possible. In my case, the lower number possible is usually after my afternoon workout where I've sweated out a bunch of fluid. I record my weight whenever I feel like it and watch the trend. (And I'm a bit of a stats and numbers geek, so I enjoy observing the process).

All I care about is losing fat - I want my body to do what it does with fluids. If my trend is good and my CICO is on target, I don't worry about the scale day to day...at all.

Because weighing in the morning before eating and drinking anything is about as accurate as you're going to get. Why would i weigh myself at night when there's a full day's worth of food and fluids sitting in my gut, which will give me a skewed and rather depressing number.
    I put on a pound after drinking 2 cups of tea, I dread to think what a fulls day of eating and drinking would do to the scale number.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You are alive & your body processes are working, so weight fluctuates. Your fat doesn't fluctuate during the day, but your water weight does. Your body is 60% water.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Also weighing in the nude is a good idea,clothes and shoes can weigh 5-6 lbs,I've weighed them
  • ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself early in the morning before I go to my exercise routine and before a breakfast.