starting to do some low carb

Options
Lost 40 lbs 4 years ago, gained back 10, playing around with 7-10 lbs so this week I decided to switch it up a bit, doing meat, veggies, salad. The cravings seem less. Anyone else do low carb?

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I don't "do low carb". My typical way of eating is mid to low carb though, yes. Most of my carbs come from veggies and a treat each day. Once per week I'll have something like pizza or a sandwich with bread. No cereal, fruit, pasta, etc.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I do. It works well for me.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I do too...works well for me. Low carb, I get carbs from fruits and veggies and that's about it. I don't miss pasta, rice or bread surprisingly! My husband and I think this is the way we need to eat from now on with carbs being an occasional treat...like desserts!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    brenn24179 wrote: »
    Lost 40 lbs 4 years ago, gained back 10, playing around with 7-10 lbs so this week I decided to switch it up a bit, doing meat, veggies, salad. The cravings seem less. Anyone else do low carb?

@brenn24179 I have been LCHF for 2.5 years for pain management which it does very well. One side effect has been a total turn around for the better in all my health markers. At 66 they are better than at 33.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    But salad and veggies are carbs?

Good luck with your new diet though.
  • eggdev
    eggdev Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

She said Low carb, not No carb.
  • sijomial
    Options
    eggdev wrote: »

I know - but that would mean a diet of meat, meat, meat plus a small amount of salad and veggies.
    Got a feeling that may not be the intention, but you never know.

My cat thrives on a predominately meat diet. ;)
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    thanks, I am doing mostly no carbs, WORRY ABOUT CONSTIPATION, any ideas? Maybe I will eat some beans
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

I know - but that would mean a diet of meat, meat, meat plus a small amount of salad and veggies.

That's a diet I could live with.
  • greg7564
    greg7564 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am currently on a low carb / low fat / high protien diet .... OMG , I really have no energy but it seems to be working well ... Lost an inch of my waist in 4 weeks. I also do a cardio session in the morning but have been too busy / fatigued for any weight training.

GOAL: Lose 8% of my body fat by June
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

@sijomial have you personally tried LCHF for at least 180 days. After 2.5 years of keeping my carbs just under 50 grams daily I am eating less meat than in the last 50 years.

Low carb in my case is a macro of about 5% carbs, 15% protein and 80% fats.

There are actually many ways to eat low carb but eating meat, meat and meat is not a requirement by any means.
  • Pathman1
    Pathman1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I generally stay away from processed carbs during the week but am looser on food choices during the weekends. I have no problems eating a small baked potato or having a piece of fruit, and I love veggies. I am a lot less hungry eating meats, dairy, fruits, and veggies than when I eat processed carbs.
  • sijomial
    Options

@sijomial have you personally tried LCHF for at least 180 days. After 2.5 years of keeping my carbs just under 50 grams daily I am eating less meat than in the last 50 years.

There are actually many ways to eat low carb but eating meat, meat and meat is not a requirement by any means.
    @GaleHawkins
    No thanks, I'm great as I am.
    The OP certainly isn't eating like either you or me. Note she made zero mention of fat at all.
    Surprised you didn't pick that up?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    OP, if you are worried about constipation, you should consider increasing fiber or increasing fats to see if that helps. But honestly, if you are dong low carb, it should be high fat so you have an energy source.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

@GaleHawkins
    The OP certainly isn't eating like either you or me. Note she made zero mention of fat at all.

She will get it figured out but I just her to know your reply to about meat meat meat was far from being medically correct.

I did not know about Low Carb or high fat when I started. It was just on a repeating hunch to cut out eating sugar and all forms of all grains that I acted on that saved me. Well I was reading about Dr. Mary Newport's work with coconut oil/MTC oil at the same time which accidentally (if one believes in accidents) made my WOE LCHF.

• sijomial
    Options

@GaleHawkins

She will get it figured out but I just her to know your reply to about meat meat meat was far from being medically correct.

I did not know about Low Carb or high fat when I started. It was just on a repeating hunch to cut out eating sugar and all forms of all grains that I acted on that saved me. Well I was reading about Dr. Mary Newport's work with coconut oil/MTC oil at the same time which accidentally (if one believes in accidents) made my WOE LCHF.

It wasn't a medical comment - go back and read the OP.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    greg7564 wrote: »
    I am currently on a low carb / low fat / high protien diet .... OMG , I really have no energy but it seems to be working well ... Lost an inch of my waist in 4 weeks. I also do a cardio session in the morning but have been too busy / fatigued for any weight training.

GOAL: Lose 8% of my body fat by June

Low carb AND Low fat? Definitely not going to feel well! Generally if you lower carbs you *increase* the fat, or you typically are going to have no energy and be starving all the time. Fat is what makes for strong nails and shiny hair, makes most people feel full, and regulates some hormones i.e. in some people low fat will tank testosterone - even as a female, I had this happen and while I dont need nearly as much testosterone as a man, it had all kinds of unexpected unpleasant consequences.

It may be "right" for you... I dont know... but I would read up a bit on the pros/cons of both low carb and low fat and see at least what you should be watching out for and ways to avoid running into those pits. The biggest problem with them is what people have mentioned - by the time you notice, the damage is done. It is very difficult and takes a long time to get hormone levels correct or certain vitamins and minerals once they get so low to the point of having an impact. Much easier to prevent it in the first place.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

@GaleHawkins

Sorry I meant your post to the OP was not medically correct not the OP post.
  • sijomial
    Options

@GaleHawkins

Sorry I meant your post to the OP was not medically correct not the OP post.

Quite frankly I haven't got a clue what you are talking about. You appear to be projecting something that is down to your interpretation of what's written rather than what is actually written in context of the OP and my response to it.
    Time to finish this conversation as we clearly aren't on the same wavelength.