Dieting vs Flexable dieting

Options
anybody try one or the other or both, what one do they like the best, what one did they get the best results from,what flexable dieting ratio did you use,

Replies

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Ive always gone by weekly deficit not daily. I have a daily target but if i go over slightly one day ill compensate by going under on another day - it evens out over the week. This way it allows me to account for fluctuating hunger. Im not the same level of hunger everyday and dont want to go hungry one day and force myself to eat another day - i dont think that's a mentally healthy relationship with food for me.

Its made no difference to weight loss. I weigh everyday for curiosity but only record once a week.

I dont really pay attention to macros but i find low carb helps keeps blood sugar level and avoids crashes leading to carb cravings. Also sweet stuff and bready stuff is like kryptonite to me - only makes me want more. If i dont start, i dont binge. I dont feel hard done by though - its just food- there are more pleasurable things in life than icecream or cookies! (like dancing, feeling sexy, walking in spring woods etc)

I aslo avoid artificial sweeteners as they just fuel my sweettooth and ill end up craving sweets. I have a tiny bit of real sugar if i need to sweeten something (rare)

Hope that helps.

WZG
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    What is non flexible dieting?
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Eating the same amount of calorirs every day no matter what.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

Oh. Eating different calories every day is not how I would classify flexible dieting...
  • Pam_Shebamm
    Pam_Shebamm Posts: 167 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Flexible dieting = IIFYM = eating whatever you want as long as you meet your fat/carb/protein goals.
  • Pam_Shebamm
    Options
    As long as you're in a calorie defecit, any diet can be considered flexible.

Macros are important, but calories are king.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

Macro counting.

Where I'm from, IIFYM is generally considered flexible dieting.... Not non flexible dieting...

Neither has anything to do with the amount of calories you eat a day.

All diets are technically IIFYM. People eat what they choose (flexible) and make it fit their macros (whatever they are to them)
  • Pam_Shebamm
    Options

Macro counting.

Where I'm from, IIFYM is generally considered flexible dieting.... Not non flexible dieting...

All diets are technically IIFYM. People eat what they choose (flexible) and make it fit their macros (whatever they are to them)

I'd noticed you wrote non-flexible and edited my post but I guess you didn't see it in time. Lol
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You get more diet flexibility by not having a set macro ratio as well.
    Protein & fat as minimum goals and rest of cals can come from whichever macro you want (or need) on the day.
    So you could say I like IIFYM the eating philosophy but dislike IIFYM the web site.

I don't like restriction or rules but also didn't need to make any real adjustments to my foods apart from a temporary reduction in calories.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I consider dieting any time you spend outside of maintenance (whether it be to lean out by cutting or putting on mass while bulking). Not sure what the difference in flexibility is (unless you mean a fad type diet where you don't actually know anything about CICO and follow instructions). Not clear what you're asking.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I think of flexible dieting as just meaning basically IIFYM, nothing about flexing calories.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Anyway, dieting is just eating with a calorie deficit. Flexible dieting is eating with a calorie deficit, trying to eat healthfully, but not cutting out any particular foods or following any specific eating plan, choosing macros based on personal goals. So you can't really contrast the two, flexible dieting is a subset of dieting.

I liked flexible dieting, did about 33-33-33 (I know that leaves an extra percentage, it went wherever, since I was never that exact) when at low (1250) calories and then switched to 40 (carbs)-30-30 when I was exercising more and had more calories. And then I decided I didn't care about fat vs. carbs and focused just on hitting 100 g of protein (based on weight) and making healthy choices overall. To me it's a sensible and personally-tailored way to lose, and I enjoyed it, so I'd recommend trying it.

IME, depending on what your particular issues are, how much you have to lose, goals, etc., you may find there are other things you need to add. For example, I found that it helped me to have some planning and structure and to eat according to a regular pattern (3 meals, usually, without snacking), as that helps with my tendency to stress eat and emotionally eat.
  • inertiastrength
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    IIFYM is flexible dieting because they do not restrict you with the food you eat. You can eat just junk food if you want and still lose weight with IIFYM (see the Twinkie diet on google for example). What matters with IIFYM is that you are able to fit whatever you eat within your macros.

I know what you're trying to say but if you need to hit macros it's also restrictive. You can't hit 100g protein on twinkies within your cut calories. So no food is off limits, but it doesn't paint the whole picture.
  • inertiastrength
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    IIFYM is flexible dieting because they do not restrict you with the food you eat. You can eat just junk food if you want and still lose weight with IIFYM (see the Twinkie diet on google for example). What matters with IIFYM is that you are able to fit whatever you eat within your macros.

I know what you're trying to say but if you need to hit macros it's also restrictive. You can't hit 100g protein on twinkies within your cut calories. So no food is off limits, but it doesn't paint the whole picture.

True, but the definition of flexible dieting is different for everyone...for one person it means being flexible with what you eat and for others, it means flexible in not being restricted with both food & Calories..in that case, can we really call it a flexible diet if there is no structure?

That was my point, it's flexible but you can't REALLY eat whatever you want (who would eat all twinkies anyway lol) but there is complete flexibility in terms of the foods you eat (chocolate is a totally acceptable carb for example)

• lemurcat12
    Options
    Here's a reasonable discussion of the history and typical flexible dieting approach: http://www.healthylivingheavylifting.com/flexible-dieting-more-than-just-macros/

And an Alan Aragon video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SX5IEnAdkk
  • LucasWilland
    LucasWilland Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    People misunderstand what flexible dieting is. They think that is an excuse to fit as much junk food as you want because it fits into your macros. That's not the point at all. IIFYM highlights the importance of being in a calorie deficit for fat loss regardless of the foods that one chooses to achieve this deficit. People have lost weight on a 50% ice cream diet, on a junk food and twinkies only diet, Potato diet, Taco Bell diet, a Pizza diet, etc.. a bodybuilder even got into contest shape by doing an all McDonald's diet.

The point in being flexible is that a flexible diet should also include a flexible lifestyle. You shouldn't freak out over having some cake and ice cream with friends because it put you over your macros. You can simply adjust the next day by subtracting 300 calories out of your diet-- It means not assuming that you are destined to waste away into a skeleton because you failed to consume your protein right after training, while realizing that total daily protein intake is the most important.

That's what flexible dieting is to me: not some BS excuse to fit as many Snicker bars into your diet as you can just because it fits your macros.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options

Macro counting.

That's not true. I've been doing IIFYM for about a year and a half. I still have a calorie goal I stay under. I set my daily calorie goal then work my protein, fat and carbs goal around the calories I eat in a day.