Workout music ideas

Options
jenkinsb92
jenkinsb92 Posts: 13 Member
What's some good music to listen to while working out? I tend to listen to a lot of pop/hip hop and country. Any suggestions?

Replies

• RickN9GSU
    RickN9GSU Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You might think I'm crazy (a lot of people do) but check out Western Swing. Nice, upbeat music, out of the mainstream. The group Asleep at the Wheel is a good place to start. I built a station in Pandora around their sound and it's working well for me.
  • jenkinsb92
    Options
    RickN9GSU wrote: »
    You might think I'm crazy (a lot of people do) but check out Western Swing. Nice, upbeat music, out of the mainstream. The group Asleep at the Wheel is a good place to start. I built a station in Pandora around their sound and it's working well for me.

I'll definitely check it out! Thank you!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,188 Member
    Options

In that vein, Wylie Gustafson (Wylie & The Wild West) is also good.

If you're open to off-the-beaten-track music, and want to try something different: My personal favorite genre is progressive bluegrass. A couple of things that work for me are Frank Sollivan and Dirty Kitchen's Cold Spell, Newgrass Revival's Fly Through the Country, or Commonwealth ("Reach" is one of my all-time favorite workout songs), or Northern Lights/Vassar Clements' Three August Nights.

1940s swing music can also be fun . . . as an example, The Essential Glenn Miller.

All of this may be an acquired taste, though! ;)
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I like country hip hop and broadway. Broadway in particular dance numbers make me want to move and dance.
  • jenkinsb92
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    I like country hip hop and broadway. Broadway in particular dance numbers make me want to move and dance.
    Are there particular broadway shows you enjoy listening to? Lately I set my pandora station to JASON Derulo and workout to whatever plays. I'm always looking for new things though
  • jenkinsb92
    Options
    janet6567 wrote: »
    I like walking to Rolling Stone and the Beatles' faster songs. . .but I'm older than dirt! LOL
    I enjoy listening to a lot of 80's music. Never been a huge Beatle fan though :) but, to each their own :)

• Nakumari23
    Nakumari23 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    For pop/hip hop I like to listen to Chris Brown and the Weeknd.

I also like to listen to a lot of upbeat EDM or heavy rock when I workout, all depends on the mood :smiley:
  • jenkinsb92
    Options
    Nakumari23 wrote: »
    For pop/hip hop I like to listen to Chris Brown and the Weeknd.

I also like to listen to a lot of upbeat EDM or heavy rock when I workout, all depends on the mood :smiley:

I love listening to Chris Brown and The Weeknd.
  • RickN9GSU
    RickN9GSU Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

In that vein, Wylie Gustafson (Wylie & The Wild West) is also good.

If you're open to off-the-beaten-track music, and want to try something different: My personal favorite genre is progressive bluegrass. A couple of things that work for me are Frank Sollivan and Dirty Kitchen's Cold Spell, Newgrass Revival's Fly Through the Country, or Commonwealth ("Reach" is one of my all-time favorite workout songs), or Northern Lights/Vassar Clements' Three August Nights.

1940s swing music can also be fun . . . as an example, The Essential Glenn Miller.

All of this may be an acquired taste, though! ;)

I'm a bluegrass musician and I've met Frank a few times. He is SUCH a swell guy! Along those lines, check out The Hillbenders. Amazing band.

• ElenSouthgate
    ElenSouthgate Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I like to listen to the mixes on http://www.steadymixes.com/ they have a variety of different mixes and most can be downloaded for free :)
  • TJ_Slade
    TJ_Slade Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you're a fan of pop music, give 80s New Wave music a try. Duran Duran, ABC, Human League, Animotion, Berlin, Missing Persons, Blondie etc etc...

Super peppy and fun, energetic music. Awesome for cardio.

• skinnycow1234567
    skinnycow1234567 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Heavy Metal...Metallica ac/dc Disturbed pumps me up
  • Rosiez2014
    Rosiez2014 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    IPandora red hot chili peppers or linkin park.
  • risberg96
    risberg96 Posts: 118 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I love the rock my run Ap- free version is fine.
  • DeDoubleU
    DeDoubleU Posts: 6 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Muse Supermassive Black Holes album keeps me going. It's great for a kind of interval thing. For speeding up and slowing down and speeding back up, etc.