How often do you work out?

Options

Replies

• Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I love lifting weights. Currently switching things up and doing Full Body workouts 3-4x/week. Cardio usually 2x/week. Everyday I try to do something active, even if it's just going for a brisk walk.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,972 Member
    Options
    I exercise at least 6 days a week. Weekday mornings I do yoga. Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday I run usually 5k. Monday, Wednesday and Friday I walk usually 5k. Saturday is my "rest" day. But I usually am pretty active on Saturday. If I get bored I sometimes do some yoga or go for a walk because i woukd rather do that than watch tv. I really love my exercise routine. Occasionally something comes up and I miss a day and I try not to let that bother me. Mostly I am disappointed if I miss a run or walk.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Due to some injury issues the last couple of years, I'm taking a bit of a different approach to training this year. In the past, I've trained on my bike as if I was going to go out anytime and do a century on any given day which was a pretty heavy load volume wise, especially when coupled with lifting...which often has taken a back seat to riding...I've often missed lifting days for an impromptu ride and this has lead to some muscular imbalances and other issues for lack of cross training.

This year I'm working with my trainer for a more balanced approach...basically 3x per week in the weight room with a full body program and 3 weekly training rides...1 interval ride, 1 tempo/steady ride, and 1 long ride...with recovery rides or walking thrown in on lifting days. This will theoretically allow me to maintain a reasonable base so that when an event is upcoming, I can switch gears and go into training specifically for that event for a 6-8 week period of time where I would focus on that specific training...then bring it back once the event is over rather than continuing to grind out miles. I'm also limiting my event schedule this year.

I'm doing this in hopes of eliminating some nagging overuse injuries that have popped up over the last couple of years as well as rectifying some muscular imbalances that I've developed along the way. My family is also excited because this type of schedule will allow me to pursue my fitness endeavors with more balance and more time spent with the family doing recreational activities and leisure time because I won't be out for hours on end in my free time slogging away the miles.

I'm also hoping that this will basically nullify my annual winter burnout that has basically been par for the course for the last 3-4 years.

• maddiemadkins
    maddiemadkins Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I very much enjoy my exercise time. I lift 3-4 times per week and am running 3x/week right now. My fitness goal is to get to intermediate level (per strength standard charts) on all of my lifts. I am there for OHP and deadlift but not yet for bench press and squat.

Can I ask how did you get started? How long have you been lifting?
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Daily
    I run 5 days a week, weights 2x a week, and yoga once or twice a week.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    6 days total with my rest day on Sundays. I do 3 days a week with a personal trainer focused on strength training, 2 days in group HIIT classes and then swim once per week.
  • maddiemadkins
    Options
    I exercise because I must, not because I like it. I log something for exercise 6 or 7 days each week. My favorite thing to do? Bicycling. My fitness goal is to reach 160 lb and maintain +- 5 lb from there. I'm at 177.8 today.

i also like cycling, do you have a fancy bike and by fancy I mean pricey? I just have a regular Canadian Tire bike which seems to meet my needs. I do get anxious in high traffic areas though...
  • maddiemadkins
    Options
    I exercise everyday. I am a student so I try to not push myself like crazy crazy but I probably should because I need it lol. But I do yoga and running. I run for 10 minutes vigorously and then do yoga for 30 minutes that incorporates muscle building and strength. I know it sounds like a little but that is why I do it every day. I eat right which I feel is bigger than exercise. And I only do yoga on the weekends and every weekday I do yoga and the running. But it depends on your body, lifestyle and everything. Do what u can do.

That's awesome! You're very motivating! :)
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I aim for 3 days a week of exercise. Some weeks it's more, and some weeks it's less.
  • razzapool
    razzapool Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    4 days a week Monday, Wednesday, Friday and sunday for around 3 hours a day mostly cardio
  • _BlahBlah_BlackSheep_
    _BlahBlah_BlackSheep_ Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I lift and do yoga 4-5 times a week and usually do one long run on the weekend (7-13 miles lately). I'm about to start cutting, though, so I'll be increasing my cardio to probably 3x/week (shorter distances during the week).

It's not about weight for me anymore; I'm more focused on recomposition and building lean muscle mass.
  • jayv85
    jayv85 Posts: 142 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I've been doing good with 5 days a week. I try to get a run in there somewhere. Then abs and arm quick workouts about 3 times a week. Sometimes more.

My runs are anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour. Depending on if I'm doing sprints or distance

ETA
    I always complain about running (especially on the treadmill) but once I do it and I'm finished I find myself pumped to do the next. So I have a love/hate relationship with working out. Or just running. I'm more into circuit training but I need to run for work
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Gimsteinn1 wrote: »
    I workout because I love feeling the blood rush into my veins.

I love feeling my body move with ease during high intensity workouts. I love it when it gets tough and I have to put extra force into it.
    I adore feeling my muscles move heavy weights around, again and again, until I feel like I'm on fire and that I'm burning up.

I live for the moments when I feel the blood taste in my mouth and I'm panting so hard I'm not sure if I'll ever breath normally again.

That moment of ecstacy, where your lying on the ground breathing heavily and you can't stand cause your knees are so week but you can't help smiling cause you know you did good and now your body is rewarding you with all the good hormones and your endorphins are running high... That's my favorite part of each day.
    It's what I do for fun.

I was going to write a comment but I'll just say, "what Gimsteinn1said". Couldn't have said it better myself. In fact, that last paragraph was me this morning. It's 4 hours later and I can't wait to get back to the gym.

I lift heavy 5 days a week with about 20 minutes of cardio after each lifting session and do only cardio on the 6th day.

I usually try to get a relaxing walk in on the 7th day. Or I might not depending on how I feel.
  • Pathman1
    Pathman1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I don't particularly enjoy working out nor do I dislike it, but I do it every day because I like the results. My workouts vary from 30-60 minutes depending on if I'm doing a video, running, or lifting. I'm a morning person so it's not hard being motivated to get out of bed and exercise. I'm very consistent with my workouts because it's become a habit and not something I really have to think about. It's been almost two years now of regular exercising for me.
  • skinnycow1234567
    skinnycow1234567 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I try to go to gym everyday..Weight training 3/4 days. Then mix up yoga,cardio,spin,
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    5-6 days a week. I love exercise :) I lift weights and do cardio. I just recently tried out the stairmaster and I like it!
  • maddiemadkins
    Options
    razzapool wrote: »
    4 days a week Monday, Wednesday, Friday and sunday for around 3 hours a day mostly cardio

Wow! Good on you!
  • maddiemadkins
    Options
    jayv85 wrote: »
    I've been doing good with 5 days a week. I try to get a run in there somewhere. Then abs and arm quick workouts about 3 times a week. Sometimes more.

My runs are anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour. Depending on if I'm doing sprints or distance

ETA
    I always complain about running (especially on the treadmill) but once I do it and I'm finished I find myself pumped to do the next. So I have a love/hate relationship with working out. Or just running. I'm more into circuit training but I need to run for work

What kind of work do you do? If you don't mind me asking...I love the idea of running, but the actual running is pretty rough for me...lol
  • dawson002
    dawson002 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    5 days a week for 45 mins to 1hr