Avocados

Options
2»

Replies

• KarenEnglish42
    KarenEnglish42 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use them (mashed) instead of mayo on sandwiches.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Oh and I actually made brownies with them! I won't try to convince you they were as good as your typical brownie but they were good in a different way. A very tasty healthier option, I will make again for sure. I actually froze some and took a bite before it thawed and I liked it better that way. It was kinda like a chocolate pudding pop lol. This is the recipe I used but didn't make the frosting.
    http://www.frugalmomeh.com/2016/04/avocado-brownies.html
  • ericpiccione
    ericpiccione Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Guacamole, avocado toast, mixed into chili, added to a smoothie, chocolate avocado mousse, added to a burrito or rice bowl -- these are some of my favorites.

Avocado in a smoothie? I have never thought of that
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Guacamole, avocado toast, mixed into chili, added to a smoothie, chocolate avocado mousse, added to a burrito or rice bowl -- these are some of my favorites.

Avocado in a smoothie? I have never thought of that

It adds super-creamy texture. I usually use 1/4 to 1/2 of an avocado and I freeze it first (this also helps if I buy too many avocados and can't use them all before they are too ripe -- I just chop them up and freeze them and use them whenever I want).
  • ericpiccione
    ericpiccione Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I like to mix a can of tuna, salt, pepper, mayo, and a half of an avocado in a frying pan with some oil and cook on medium heat for 4 minutes a side.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I mostly just eat them (or half of one) plain with a bit of salt. It's a good side for an omelet or with some cottage cheese, too. I sometimes put them on salads, or as others have said make guac or add them to a smoothie.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Roughly chopped in a salad, mashed and spread on toast, guacamole, or just sliced and sprinkled with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
  • Melionfire
    Melionfire Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    My favourite lately is a small whole wheat wrap with an egg avocado salsa and cottage cheese. Delicious and filling.
  • smal48
    smal48 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Tricolour (sp?) salad - sliced avocado, vine tomatoes and mozzarella, with oil, vinegar, salt and pepper dressing. Or don't bother with the cheese and tomatoes, just the same dressing poured in the convenient well you get when you halve it and take out the stone.
    Avocados are delicious, but you've gotta catch them ripe, and you sometimes get dud, stringy ones.
  • officials
    officials Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I put soy sauce on mines or put it on some bread or just eat it plain
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    I love guacamole, but have a tendency to not control my chip portion. So, when I have ripe avocados, I absolutely LOVE to make this:

COWBOY CAVIAR

Into a large mixing bowl:

2 cups cooked black beans (or 1 can drained)
    1 can white sweet corn, drained
    2 roma tomatoes, diced
    2 avocados, diced
    1 bunch green onions, tops only, chopped

Vinaigrette:

¼ cup Avocado Oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    ¼ cup Red Wine Vinegar
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper

Whisk vinaigrette together, pour over veggies and stir to combine.
  • cherrypalmosa
    cherrypalmosa Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Make a salad dressing with avocado. Shred some tuna and that's it. Then a side dish of apple and orange with fresh lemon juice on the side.
  • lilchick140
    lilchick140 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I tried one with my eggs this morning and it was good! Only thing is I assume I waited too long because some parts of it were turning black when i cut it open...I just didn't use those parts. One year old daughter absolutely loved it on her toast too!!!
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I put avocado on anything. I bet they can even make Triscuits taste good.

Black spots don't necessarily mean overripe. You can pick the perfect avocado and let it ripen perfectly and sometimes it'll still have a black spot or two. Just the way it goes.