Too fat to EVER get pregnant?

Options
Too ashamed to talk it out with family and/or friends, so I’m seeking some support/advice here!

A bit of a background story:

Lost 100lbs on MFP a few years ago; went from 275 lbs to 175lbs.
Gained all of it back plus more over the course of 3 years, due to an initial “happy relationship” gain (after moving in with my now husband) and then total neglect of the healthy habits I had taught myself.

New starting weight: approx. 305 lbs
Current weight: 295 lbs

Now for my… concern

Went to a gynecologist after a 10 day TOM, after not having my period for months. This has been a problem for 2 years now, and we’ve been trying to conceive in the meantime.

Told the dr. I wanted to check if everything was ok downstairs, and then I’d go to a dietician and/or endocrinologist to get some input on my infertility, hair loss and generalized fatigue.

He told me verbatim: “That will do nothing for you. Look at yourself! You’ll get to 400 lbs in no time and have family members wash you and take you from doctor to doctor. Get stomach reduction surgery, then you can talk to me about wanting to get pregnant. Here’s the surgeon’s name… Look for him first thing tomorrow!”

What? Left bawling my eyes out and with a million things racing through my mind; which for a chronic over-analyzer and depressed individual can get pretty dark, really quick.

I’m all for tough love from family and no sugar coating at the doctor’s office, but that? He reacted as if I had told him he has to get me pregnant, and got instantly disgusted.

Got back on MFP, been going just fine for about 2 weeks.

My concern is…
Is getting pregnant impossible when you’re obese?

I know it comes with more risks and can be a huge strain on the body, but is it such a far fetched idea?

I’m giving myself a year to lose as much as I can and then start trying to conceive again (we’re not preventing it either).
But if even in the 220’s I can’t get pregnant, will it still be because of my weight, or would I be safe to go back to a gyno and not get traumatized by their response?

Thanks in advance to anyone taking the time to leave their 2 cents!

Replies

• LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I do recommend trying to lose more weight because it will help make the pregnancy easier if you ever chose to. Right now you would be considered high risk eat at a deficit, work out, and eat back half of the calories.
    I wouldn't worry about pregnancy right now enjoy your marriage.
    Sorry about the doctors comments it was super rude feel free to go to a different doctor instead for your hair loss and fatigue issues. And also about the fact you haven't had your period in a little bit it.
  • ashleyminnich1
    ashleyminnich1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have low progesterone, and have a hard time getting/staying pregnant. I have found that when I lose I get pregnant MUCH easier. That does not mean I don't need help staying pregnant, though. I had to do supplement with progesterone this last pregnancy, because it was super low. i have not been a big as you are currently, but I have had doula clients your size before. I will say that labor and birth are much harder when you are overweight.

For that doctor to say that is just beyond helpful! You have lost before. You can do it again.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    First: he was a jerk and you need a new doctor
    Second: I got pregnant at my highest adult weight at the time. It's possible but riskier compared to a healthier weight.
    Third: you personally may have underlying fertility issues unrelated to weight. However, obesity is linked to reduced fertility for some women.
    Fourth: you are you own best advocate. You know yourself best. Be strong and build a team that supports you and your needs.

Best of luck!