Mean Things People Said That Ended Up Motivating You

Options

Replies

• tlanger251
    tlanger251 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels." which is true if you think about it.. But rude to say to a child!!
  • tlanger251
    tlanger251 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels." True, but still, rude to say to a child.
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    A good friend of mine said something like "you are turning into a fat cow". She was 100% correct, and I now appreciate her blunt, direct way of letting me know I was getting too fat.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    My ex-husband and I are still friends, we do lunch about once a year just as a catch up.

When we were together it was "I love you in spite of your weight"

He was always thin but a couple of years ago when we had lunch he'd put on a bit of weight (he's late 40's now). He laughed and said "yeah if I keep going by this time next year I'll weigh as much as you."

He does not mean these things to be nasty. And he wonders why we are divorced.
  • iamsharica
    iamsharica Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    The meanest things I've heard came from my ex:

"You need to lose weight"
    "Why are you eating that" (shakes head in disgust)
    "You need to stop, you can't eat what I eat"
    "You are too big, like for real"

Then when I lost 45lbs
    "Why you wearing that skirt, those are my legs all these dudes don't need to see them"
    "Why you showing cleavage, those are mines"

He pretty much made me feel bad either way. The things he said hurt me pretty bad and I know that's why I didn't feel as beautiful as people said I was most days.
  • Myki3012
    Myki3012 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You can't do it.
  • shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    An old man, stranger in the public bus, said that I need to live in a different country because this one is bad for me. I'm too fat from all the food. I was so shocked I didn't know what to say. It hit me hard. Also once in a grocery store with my 4 year old son a man said "whoa fat *kitten* isle". My son asked me what a fat *kitten* was. I was ashamed and I have been loosing weight since. I am halfway to goal now.
  • PeachesNcreamgal
    PeachesNcreamgal Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    This happened a couple of weeks ago. I had gone to a shop to purchase new trackpants so the saleslady was showing me stuff. She showed me a pant that was apparently couple sizes to small so the owner asked her to measure my waist which is 40" and yelled her that I will tear the pant if I try it on. Felt bad, didn't eat a candy bar just took a vow to lose 4" of my waist!!!!
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I was bullied an awful lot through primary school and high school. A girl in my year told another girl that I was sort of friends of not to talk to me because I was fat. This same girl tormented me for years, no matter what I did she would find a way to ridicule me and remind me of how fat I was. Guys in my school would ask me out as jokes and it's made me very insecure and if someone asks me out I think it's a joke. I've been with my boyfriend for 10 months now and when we were first together I kept asking if he really wanted to be with me! School was miserable and it made me incredibly insecure about myself. I went to college and hung out with some girls that were smaller than me. One girl made me feel bad by constantly bragging about how she never puts on weight. I felt awful.

Been determined to prove them all wrong now!
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    It wasn't really something mean but eye opening. I'm 5' 11" and once when I was out shopping with my 5'2" 115 lb friend I said something about not being able to shop at the same stores she could because they didn't carry my size (I was a size 18 or 20 then). She said "you're just bigger because you're tall" and that made me think about 15 years ago when I was the exact same height but a size 9. So, no, I wasn't just bigger because I'm tall, I was bigger because I had gained 70 lbs.

Oh yes, I have a friend of the same size. She's as sweet as they can be but also very very unaware of how she can say things that come across all wrong. Her younger sister is very large, about 280 pounds and she said she was the same size as me. Thanks...also I was 60 pounds lighter.
  • IVMay
    IVMay Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I recall teachers at school thought I'd be a failure. I was 12 and the form teacher looked at one of my 'report' cards and said: "Do you want to live to be 13" - my geography teacher poking fun of my heritage/family and coming up with rude comments that today would probably have him suspended from his job if not sacked but back in the 90's it was acceptable in grammar schools.... I had little interest entertaining their BS so never really paid attention to their curriculum and was often not turning up. Yet I still was one of only 2 of us to go to Oxbridge in my year. Was asked to return and do a 'talk' as if it would encourage like minded kids who had their souls crushed by grown adults suffering from their own insecurities and failures in life; and pretend that it was all chirpy? I wrote a letter back telling them to shove it. My mother was not pleased but screw it. Never signed up to their 'old boys club', either, and the best thing I ever did was a little bit of mischief a few years later on an English teacher's.... well, anyway: the guy was a complete twit who thought he was some master author just because he had some book published about classical motorcycles. Racist. Sexist. Xenophobic. In my heart of hearts and given the state of him back then health and age wise - I'm inclined to believe he's a gonner so that's 2-0 to me.
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    "No one will look at you whilst you're this fat."

a) Wrong
    b) So what
    c) Thanks for the awesome motivation anyway ;)

Signed,
    Gonna Be Hot!
  • DaniMedina1
    DaniMedina1 Posts: 28 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I moved into a building in 2012 when I was 20 kilos heavier than I am now. I've had the same next-door neighbours since then, but only became friends with them a few months ago. Once they asked me, after having dinner together: "How long have you been living in this building?" and I said "For 5 years now". They were shaking their heads and telling me that no, that was impossible, because before me there was a really obese girl living in this flat. "Do you remember her?" one says to the other. "She was a freaking mammoth".

That was me. The mammoth. Same person, only thin now. It hurt me they wouldn't even recognise me, notice my face or other features of my body/personality. The only thing they saw - and still see - is my weight.

I put on a lot of weight in a matter of months (6, 7 or something like that) and once I was strolling about a shopping centre and bumped into an old acquaintance of mine, a guy my age. First thing he said when he saw me was - sounding like he was completely disgusted by my appearance: "WHAT happened to you?!?!"

My ex-boyfriend, with whom I hadn't had the friendliest of break-ups, sent me a message through Facebook asking me how I managed to become so "large". That was the only purpose of the message. To ask me that question.

One of my closest female friends came over to my place around Easter a few years back. Upon her request, I had made pizzas from scratch. She'd told me she had a craving for pizza and that she loved the way I made them so there I was, making her wishes come true. She brought me a huge Easter egg as a present, left it on the table and then proceeded to stand next to my kitchen door, while watching me knead the dough. Lit up a cigarette, watched me from head to toe and said, unapologetically, "I am your friend so I've got to tell you this: you are FAT. You've gained a lot of weight recently. You should stop EATING."

Back at the time all these things really hurt me, but at the same time I feel like I used them as motivation to start working out again, eating healthier and "making them shut their mouths".

• RamboKitty87
    RamboKitty87 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    My six year old brother said he does not like me as I am too fat to play with him, not for one second did I get angry at him, its my own fault, he would love for me to take him to the park or run around the garden with him, so I am doing this for him and my family.