BULLETPROOF COFFEE:- Anyone tried it?

Options

Replies

• zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I keep wondering why Starbucks doesn't make/sell it... with all the paleo dieters these days seems like there would be a market for it.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    That stuff is potentially deadly. High in saturated fat and depending on your genetics, can raise your LDL(bad) cholesterol.

Bob Harper(biggest loser trainer) said on a Rachel Ray episode last year, that he drinks bulletproof coffee (with coconut oil and ghee/butter)every single morning before his workout. He was also on the paleo diet....He got a massive heart attack about a month ago. He's lucky to be alive.

Considering the fact that he was in the middle of a gym workout when his heart attack hit must mean that exercise is also potentially deadly. Bob's mother died of a heart attack. He may be genetically predisposed to heart disease and in some cases you are just going to inherit what runs in your family. That doesn't mean you should live in fear of saturated fat. Saturated fat is necessary.
    As the saying goes..."genetics loads the gun and lifestyle pulls the trigger" Maybe years of slamming bulletproof coffee plus a paleo diet (naturally high in saturated fat) exacerbated his genetic predisposition to high cholesterol, and possibly contributed to his heart attack. Some people can handle a high saturated fat diet with no ill effects. Some can't.

And if saturated fat was so necessary and posed no problems, the American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology would not be recommending to lower dietary saturated fat would they? And Bob's doctors wouldn't have advised him to change his diet following the heart attack.
    You cannot take what happened to one person and apply it to everyone. My 80 year old grandmother has always drank a lot of whole milk and ate plenty of butter. She has never had any type of heart trouble what so ever.
    So maybe take your own advice and not apply your grandmother's genetics to everyone? Which is why I said "depending on one's genetics".

Where did I apply my grandmothers experience to EVERYONE? I did not do that. I used her experience as an example in relation to the discussion. Some people can be in excellent physical condition and eat all the healthy food they can get their hands on but still fall prey to genetics, others can be sedentary and eat all the "bad" stuff yet still be in very good health. THAT is my point. Do not try to twist my words.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    That stuff is potentially deadly. High in saturated fat and depending on your genetics, can raise your LDL(bad) cholesterol.

Bob Harper(biggest loser trainer) said on a Rachel Ray episode last year, that he drinks bulletproof coffee (with coconut oil and ghee/butter)every single morning before his workout. He was also on the paleo diet....He got a massive heart attack about a month ago. He's lucky to be alive.

Considering the fact that he was in the middle of a gym workout when his heart attack hit must mean that exercise is also potentially deadly. Bob's mother died of a heart attack. He may be genetically predisposed to heart disease and in some cases you are just going to inherit what runs in your family. That doesn't mean you should live in fear of saturated fat. Saturated fat is necessary. You cannot take what happened to one person and apply it to everyone. My 80 year old grandmother has always drank a lot of whole milk and ate plenty of butter. She has never had any type of heart trouble what so ever.

Saturated fat is not essential.

Non essential in that you can live with out it, but that doesn't mean you don't need it. This can be said of MANY of our nutrients. You may not die when you do not have certain things in your diet but that doesn't mean there won't be ill effects of some kind.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    fascha wrote: »

Dietary cholesterol has little affect on serum cholesterol.

For most people. For people like me with familial hypercholesterolemia? It matters along with overall and saturated fat intake.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Considering the fact that he was in the middle of a gym workout when his heart attack hit must mean that exercise is also potentially deadly. Bob's mother died of a heart attack. He may be genetically predisposed to heart disease and in some cases you are just going to inherit what runs in your family. That doesn't mean you should live in fear of saturated fat. Saturated fat is necessary. You cannot take what happened to one person and apply it to everyone. My 80 year old grandmother has always drank a lot of whole milk and ate plenty of butter. She has never had any type of heart trouble what so ever.

Saturated fat is not essential.

Non essential in that you can live with out it, but that doesn't mean you don't need it. This can be said of MANY of our nutrients. You may not die when you do not have certain things in your diet but that doesn't mean there won't be ill effects of some kind.

If you can live without it it literally means you don't need it. Would you have posted the same thing to someone saying you don't need sugar in your diet? Asking for a friend.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

If the only thing you are changing in your diet is ADDING 465 calories per day, I would guess that rapid weight gain may have been a portion of his problem. ;)
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Omazed wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I've been looking into the benefits of Bulletproof coffee and I am hearing some really positve things on it. Has anyone tried it.

Honestly, I don't really think there are any magical benefits to putting coconut oil and butter in your coffee. It doesn't take bad, and it will make you feel full, but I don't think there is anything particular special about it.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

Considering the fact that he was in the middle of a gym workout when his heart attack hit must mean that exercise is also potentially deadly. Bob's mother died of a heart attack. He may be genetically predisposed to heart disease and in some cases you are just going to inherit what runs in your family. That doesn't mean you should live in fear of saturated fat. Saturated fat is necessary.
    As the saying goes..."genetics loads the gun and lifestyle pulls the trigger" Maybe years of slamming bulletproof coffee plus a paleo diet (naturally high in saturated fat) exacerbated his genetic predisposition to high cholesterol, and possibly contributed to his heart attack. Some people can handle a high saturated fat diet with no ill effects. Some can't.

And if saturated fat was so necessary and posed no problems, the American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology would not be recommending to lower dietary saturated fat would they? And Bob's doctors wouldn't have advised him to change his diet following the heart attack.
    You cannot take what happened to one person and apply it to everyone. My 80 year old grandmother has always drank a lot of whole milk and ate plenty of butter. She has never had any type of heart trouble what so ever.
    So maybe take your own advice and not apply your grandmother's genetics to everyone? Which is why I said "depending on one's genetics".

Where did I apply my grandmothers experience to EVERYONE? I did not do that. I used her experience as an example in relation to the discussion. Some people can be in excellent physical condition and eat all the healthy food they can get their hands on but still fall prey to genetics, others can be sedentary and eat all the "bad" stuff yet still be in very good health. THAT is my point. Do not try to twist my words.

This. My grandma and her brother both had very active, healthy lifestyles. They still had their genetics hit them. Part of why I'm here is because genetics have hit in spite of my best efforts.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    cfriend71 wrote: »
    I am but not by the calories. I think I am doing something right because I've already lost 6 lbs. I appreciate your suggestion though.
    Unless you've had a calorie deficit of 21,000 in the 4 days since you started Keto, most of your 6 lb initial weight loss is indeed water. There's no disputing the math. 3500 calories = 1lb. That's not to say Keto doesn't work. It does work, same as any other program or "diet", so long as you are in a calorie deficit.
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I am keto, and I drink bulletproof coffee, and I IF most days of the week. I also track calories (in addition to macros) and maintain a deficit. I have a history of diabetes in my family, I had A1C test at the high end of normal, and yes, I have changed the way I am eating and living in a permanent way. For those of you who think there is no science to this, why do you think so many diabetics are overweight? Why do you think they call it "metabolic syndrome"? If you are a young male bodybuilder with a fully functioning metabolism, it might have negligible effect, but that is not a lot of people. Eating low carb keeps my blood sugar even, and keeps me satisfied on a much lower calorie per day level. I would not last long on 1400 calories on the SAD or a lowfat diet. My coffee in the AM has all of 2/3 tablespoon of butter in it. 2/3 tablespoon coconut oil, 2/3 tablespoon of Brain Octane oil. I am sharp, focused, and not hungry until early afternoon (if that), which I guarantee you cereal and juice would not accomplish. Contrary to popular belief, I am not eating bacon smoothies all day. Lots of avocado, olives, nuts, grass fed beef from a local farmer, pastured eggs (ditto), and lots of vegetables. If nothing else, a WOE that keeps me feeling good on 1400-1450 calories a day is going to get me where I want to go.
    For the OP and those who posted here who are keto/BP, please feel free to PM or friend me.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    AFGP11 wrote: »
    There is nothing magical about it. It tastes pretty good though. It is a lot of calories though and you have to count them because they don't magically melt away. To me it's not worth wasting 100 or more calories on a morning coffee, but to eat their own.

On the ketogenic diet you do not count calories. You use carbs, protein and fat as your macros. That's it. Nothing else. So calories have nothing to do with it on the Keto diet which is what it was designed for use with.

This is so not true. Setting aside any medical conditions that cause weight loss and for which one needs medical attention, you do realize that to lose weight it's a requirement to eat less calories than you burn? Just because you are not literally counting calories does not mean you are not eating at a deficit.

Some of keto is water loss from from lack of carbs, but if you're losing fat it's because of a calorie deficit.

Keto is not magic.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    There is nothing magical about it. It tastes pretty good though. It is a lot of calories though and you have to count them because they don't magically melt away. To me it's not worth wasting 100 or more calories on a morning coffee, but to eat their own.

On the ketogenic diet you do not count calories. You use carbs, protein and fat as your macros. That's it. Nothing else. So calories have nothing to do with it on the Keto diet which is what it was designed for use with.

Hate to tell you but carbs and protein have 4 calories per gram, and fat is 9 calories per gram. Repeating "I'm doing keto" a million times every day will not change this.

I would suggest tracking everything you put in you mouth, including your bulletproof mocha if you want to achieve your weight loss goals.

I am but not by the calories. I think I am doing something right because I've already lost 6 lbs. I appreciate your suggestion though.

Eating low carb will mean your body drops a lot of water. It's not fat.

Really? I did low carb years ago and lost 50 lbs. how can that be a water? Lol

Initially.

So initially 50 lbs is not technically any fat loss? Is that what you are saying? I know a lot of people who lost weight on low carb & that is now their lifestyle. They lost a lot of weight.

50 pounds is awesome! Congrtats on finding your own magic for creating a calorie deficit to lose all that weight. ;)
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Cat3141 wrote: »
    Somebody beat me to it...

Yes I know what you're saying but I do not have to calorie count, per se. That's all. When I reach my carb limit I usually only have fats left so I have to eat something fatty that has no carbs.

Calorie counting is not necessary to create a deficit for some people.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I like BPC. Tastes good and helps control hunger/cravings.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    phrobbert wrote: »

The first time I went on a keto diet I did the exact same thing. And yes, I did lose a fair amount of weight. However after a while I plateaued which is probably because my weight dropped to the point where my maintenance calories coincided with what I was eating. Since going back on keto I've been careful to go with a daily deficit and I've seen a much more consistent weight loss.

And so when I see my weight loss stalking then I can reduce my deficit. Good advice. Thanks

I'm glad you're trying to understand.

Low carb is not magic and it doesn't work for the reasons you think it does. But, it works for you and that's ok. But, just understand that all you are doing is eating less food than your body requires. Typically, the reason for this is that carbs carry a lot of calories. Many of them are empty, nutritionally speaking. Proteins and fats are heavy, and have less calories. So, you can eat more volume of food, and keep full longer.

When I tried keto, I was amazed that I could only fit about 1400 calories into my belly. At that time, I usually ate around 2500 to 3,000 on a non-keto diet.

I stopped because I felt it was unnecessarily restrictive.

I am trying to understand yes but I am also going to continue Keto until it doesn't suit me anymore. Then I will have to find something else that works. I've never had luck with weight watchers (where you count points and can eat practically anything). I notice when I eat carbs i become addicted so for me, personally, low carb is a good way. I don't need unhealthy carbs and I am still getting some carbs with Keto. I appreciate all of your input but I just didn't come here to be attacked or argued with. Someone asked if I've tried bulletproof coffee and I provided feedback yes. Then it turned into this lol. I'm doing Keto. I wish you all the best with whatever you are doing as well. Peace.

Find what works for life. Start that now.

Thanks - But I'm already doing what works for me. It's the only type of diet I've ever been successful on. Take care.

Perhaps if you stopped looking at this as a "diet", which connotates a short term approach, you would be able to find the long term success and sustainability and keep the weight off? Why do you have to do keto till it doens't work then find something else that works? The comment to find what works for life means, don't eat in a certain way in order to lose weight, eat in a way that you intend to adhere to for the rest of your life, and do so in a way that you will lose weight (ie a calorie deficit).

• kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    There used to be a brilliant Tumblr blogger around called kirstyintheskywithbutter, she was the first time I'd ever heard of BPC - she swore by it, I imagine it kept her satisfied. She lots loads of weight and ended up getting surgery to remove the loose skin. She was hilarious too.

I think people just got to her too much, about keto as much as anything else, and she quit. Shame really.

So I've never tried it, but it seems to satisfy certain people with its high fat content.

EDIT in fact, she has a profile on MFP: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/profile/kirstyintheskywithdiamonds
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I drank BPC for a while a few years ago and liked it - I never used more than a tbsp. of butter and coconut oil (often less), so it was around 200 calories, which is about the same as a Starbucks latte made with whole milk. I would have a hard time finishing my breakfast on mornings that I drank it (not every day). Most breakfasts during this time were three slices of bacon, three eggs, some berries, and whatever veggies I had leftover from the night before. In general, I ate paleo-ish typically, pretty high in fat/cholesterol for meats but tried to stick with grass-fed and loads of veggies and fruits. I got some blood-work done after about 6 months of eating this way my LDL was around 55 with an HDL of 99. My doc said it was just about the best he'd seen and that after a certain point, having an HDL that high starts to become an negative risk factor for heart disease. I was only in my mid-30s and I've always had pretty good levels, so there's definitely a age/genetic component, but I don't think it's fair to demonize something like BPC coffee for everyone just because some people might have issues with it. I found it pretty tasty, and a lot less expensive than going to Starbucks!
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I keep wondering why Starbucks doesn't make/sell it... with all the paleo dieters these days seems like there would be a market for it.
    I can buy one at my local hippie coffee shop.

It's like $8.

I don't drink it. It sounds gross. I like my coffee to be low calorie, not a meal. And I think the whole "you need to buy this special Irish butter" thing sounds like complete woo.
  • tunnasch
    tunnasch Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

cfriend71,

I'm "flirting" with low carb, but haven't committed to keto yet (I really love my apples!). Just trying to learn a lot right now using "ditchthecarbs" website (I like Libby's 'progress, not perfection' attitude). Can I ask what you're using as a breakdown of fat/protein/carbs, percentage-wise? I tried BF coffee once and it grossed me out, but maybe I'll try again. :wink: