Gluten free, sugar free, dairy free... who is with me?

Replies

• ana_varn
    ana_varn Posts: 98 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    ana_varn wrote: »
    Jesus Christ why are you so nasty to each other? We can't compare fruit with a mars bar anyway. The fruit has fiber, vitamins and minerals which help keeping the appetite stabilized and give proper nutrition! And dairy? You're a freaking human, not a cow so it's okay not to have it in your diet even when you're NOT intolerant or allergic to it. Now for gluten, if you're not sick I don't see any reason why to avoid it but if it works for one then it's good, you don't have to play the "i know better than you because I am SO much better" card.

I eat all of the things she says she avoids but still... who am I to criticize and belittle one? Jeez there's no need to be mean. Maybe you need to up your calories a bit. ;)

PS: Some responses have been nice and/or honest, so my text doesn't go to all who responded. :smiley:

The irony of this post.

I got to admit that the comment about upping the calories was a little mean itself. I apologize, I was acting out of emotion :neutral: It just hit me that some people are playing the experts in order to "reduce" the person who began the topic. :/

Yet, you are reducing people by comparing them to baby cows if they consume dairy...Go figure.

Oh come on! I also eat dairy. I am neither vegan nor vegetarian. What I wanted to say is that it's okay if we don't have it by choice and not because of an intolerance or allergy. It's a fact that it is food not meant for us but for the cow though, no matter how you take it. :smile:
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    If it works for you and you're feeling great, that's awesome! Congrats!

But you can pry my cheese from my cold dead fingers. I could not live without it.
  • ana_varn
    Jesus Christ why are you so nasty to each other? We can't compare fruit with a mars bar anyway. The fruit has fiber, vitamins and minerals which help keeping the appetite stabilized and give proper nutrition! And dairy? You're a freaking human, not a cow so it's okay not to have it in your diet even when you're NOT intolerant or allergic to it. Now for gluten, if you're not sick I don't see any reason why to avoid it but if it works for one then it's good, you don't have to play the "i know better than you because I am SO much better" card.

I eat all of the things she says she avoids but still... who am I to criticize and belittle one? Jeez there's no need to be mean. Maybe you need to up your calories a bit. ;)

PS: Some responses have been nice and/or honest, so my text doesn't go to all who responded. :smiley:

The irony of this post.

I got to admit that the comment about upping the calories was a little mean itself. I apologize, I was acting out of emotion :neutral: It just hit me that some people are playing the experts in order to "reduce" the person who began the topic. :/

Yet, you are reducing people by comparing them to baby cows if they consume dairy...Go figure.

It's a fact that it is food not meant for us but for the cow though, no matter how you take it. :smile:

Unless "fact" has an alternate meaning to you, no, it's not a fact at all.

I guess you don't understand what "meant" means. I hope you know that a cow to produce milk must first give birth. Pretty much like any other land mammal. The fact that we consume e.g a liter of it means that a baby cow isn't. So, yeah no matter what you say it's a food originally meant for a baby cow and not a human or a dog or a sheep etc.
  • ana_varn
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Jesus Christ why are you so nasty to each other?

No one was nasty.
    We can't compare fruit with a mars bar anyway. The fruit has fiber, vitamins and minerals which help keeping the appetite stabilized and give proper nutrition!

No one said all foods are the same. But the sugars are. They are different for reasons other than the sugars.
    And dairy? You're a freaking human, not a cow so it's okay not to have it in your diet even when you're NOT intolerant or allergic to it.

Yes, it's absolutely okay not to consume it. Lots of people do have issues with it, and many have ethical issues. But what should be challenged is the idea that it is nutritionally bad for most people (people without issues with it) to consume it.
    who am I to criticize and belittle one? Jeez there's no need to be mean.

I think you are reading this into the responses. For example, my concern was to correct bad information. I was not being mean or belittling, and I think being paleo if one likes it is fine. I just don't think it's true that paleo is a more healthful way to eat than many other healthful diets that do include dairy, grains (the paleo issue is not actually gluten alone), and the rest.

I actually found your response interesting and nowhere near nasty. There were some responses that triggered me, that's all.

I didn't say that the sugar in fruit isn't sugar but I said it can't be compared to the sugar found in most sweets that don't come with fiber and vitamins and are not natural. We need the sugar for a well-functioning body and brain.

As for dairy I don't think it's natural to consume it, however I never argued about dairy's nutrition. It's a fine source of protein and minerals. Whatever is not natural doesn't mean it's bad. We see it with technology as well. It's not natural for humans to spend time on a screen, yet we get information we would hardly have access to 30 years ago.

That's what I also believe. There isn't ONE superior diet. And yes a healthful diet can contain grains, dairy, meats etc.
  • kclaar11
    kclaar11 Posts: 162 Member

The irony of this post.

It's a fact that it is food not meant for us but for the cow though, no matter how you take it. :smile:

I guess you don't understand what "meant" means. I hope you know that a cow to produce milk must first give birth. Pretty much like any other land mammal. The fact that we consume e.g a liter of it means that a baby cow isn't. So, yeah no matter what you say it's a food originally meant for a baby cow and not a human or a dog or a sheep etc.

I am just curious what proof you have that by humans consuming a liter means that the cow no longer has sufficient quantity to be malnourished. I have never seen any study that shows a milk produces the exact amount needed per calf thus any taken from that quantity deprives the calf. Unrelated to the post in general, but it did peak my interest
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Ok let me clarify... I do eat fruit. I cut out processed sugars. I basically follow a paleo diet, but not 100% I eat brown rice and some legumes. I do understand that to some this sounds totally scary. But I've shed 40 pounds since January, I am heavier. The amount of energy I now have is crazy, I fully enjoy this lifestyle because of how amazing I feel. I have 0 cravings, 0 blood sugar dips, my mind is clearer, etc. I do have pcos and hormones are regulating. I have considered someday reintroducing some foods on occasion. But I do not miss processed foods and I do not miss feeling tired and groggy.

how are you defining processed?
    you do realize that processed sugar and fruit sugar are the same, right?
    the reason that you lost weight is because you replaced calories dense foods with less calorie dense foods; the reason that you feel better and have more energy is because you lost weight.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    kclaar11 wrote: »

The irony of this post.

I am just curious what proof you have that by humans consuming a liter means that the cow no longer has sufficient quantity to be malnourished. I have never seen any study that shows a milk produces the exact amount needed per calf thus any taken from that quantity deprives the calf. Unrelated to the post in general, but it did peak my interest

yea, I guess I missed all these malnourished cows running around....
  • ana_varn
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

The irony of this post.

That doesn't mean it's the only thing it's meant for, and it's not "meant" to be human food. Under the same exact rationale you could say that no animals or plants are "meant" to be human food. Like I said, clams about "meant" aren't fact claims, they are philosophical ones that we impose.

Hmm... it's just that milk is produced for the sole purpose of feeding the baby, no matter the mammal species. As humans we take advantage of it for good or for bad. So, an animal or a plant can be a food source, but the dairy is still not necessary for us, technically it's for the baby.

Still I eat and drink dairy because of the protein, the taste and the fact that I am not a meat and especially fish person (not vegetarian though). What I said, not natural doesn't necessarily mean bad.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    I'm glad it's working for you but I couldn't be that restrictive in my diet.
  • ana_varn
    kclaar11 wrote: »

The irony of this post.

The baby cows are either slaughtered for young meat (don't know the english word for it) or fed supplements if they're female so they take all they can from the cow. However, in small farms they usually let the baby breast feed as well as taking milk from the cow. For example, my uncle and aunt in Greece let their baby cows still breast feed, however they also take milk for selling. The babies are also given supplements anyway. In big farms this wouldn't happen. You gotta take as much as you can to sell it as low as you can.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    It's awesome you found something that works for you! I eat gluten, sugar, and dairy in pretty much every meal and I'm a healthy weight, feel great and thoroughly enjoy my diet.

OP, if you are a little surprised by the responses you are getting - you will find that in general any overly restrictive diet for anything other than medical conditions is frowned upon here in the MFP forums. There is no scientific basis for gluten or dairy being bad for anyone other than those who are celiac or lactose intolerant.

It's also not necessary to eat gluten free and dairy free to eat a "whole foods diet", although just like "clean eating" I'd bet that term is used to mean different things by different people.

Regardless, congrats on finding a WOE that works for you - that really is the key to success! Just know that if it becomes too difficult, you could probably back off some of those restrictions and still see success. :)
This discussion has been closed.