Always restarting

Options
I am 33, and I have been trying to lose weight for over ten years now. Right now, I need to lose 140 lbs, and it's the heaviest I've ever been. My weight goes up and down, but because life circumstances change, not because of hard work on my part. I get that weight loss is burning more calories than you consume, and I have tried various ways to accomplish this. I cannot seem to stick to anything. I start off strong counting every calorie, then within the week, it seems as though I have forgotten all about it. I log all food in my diary, then nothing for 3 months. I will exercise consistently for a week, then quit. When people say "I keep losing and gaining the same 30 pounds," all I can think of is "I can't even lose the first 30 pounds." I have read that for many people, the lack of commitment usually means the person does not want it bad enough. I do. I definitely do, but I am weak. I always always always tell myself that "I will start tomorrow." Of course, I say the same thing the next day. I have such a hard time saying no to food that I like. I know I should keep it out of the house, but my situation does not always allow for that. Sometimes it will be here, and I need to learn how to say no. I recently tried keto, but it was so restrictive that I was miserable. After being online and looking up weight loss tips and motivation for over ten years, I have read absolutely everything. How can I stop reading and start doing? Why can't I stick to anything? How do I find the "want to" to do it? ANY input would be appreciated.

Replies

• mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    add friends on here who support you and are consistent. One of the hardest things for me to do was keep going some days... and then I have a Pal who wrote something brilliant that I recognized myself in. Add me if you want encouragement. I'm really good at M-F when I'm in the office (and sitting through meetings) I log daily, and am down 67 out of 87 lbs. I'd love to root for you.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need to calorie count eating what you're used to, but less (aka, not keto which is a massive change) AND do some meal prep. That first two weeks is much easier when your only thought has to be to grab a pre-portioned and counted meal from the freezer and chuck it in the microwave.

I found working on one change at a time was a way to avoid burnout. Had I started meal prep, done a huge change to my diet and started busting my *kitten* in the gym all at once, I wouldn't have lasted too long.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Start with just logging everything accurately. Get used to the idea of weighing and logging and THEN worry about the next step which is cutting a few hundred of those calories out. Even if you lose slowly, you will lose and it might be a good idea to start slow so that it isn't a massive lifestyle overhaul right away. You can do this, trust us. We've all been where you are.
  • louisah
    louisah Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Everyone here has really good advice. I always found that cheerleaders were a great motivation--they give you accountability and help keep you from giving up or resorting to your wicked ways, ha ha. Also, results are a great motivation. Once you commit to one baby step at a time--you'll burn out if you try to do too much too fast--and you start seeing results, it's much more exciting and easy to keep going, especially when you have cheerleaders rooting you on and find yourself being a cheerleader to others. In fact, that's why I'm here--I desperately need new cheerleaders. Rah rah, let's do it.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is never simple. As a big girl, I fight the fight everyday. I fight it when I eat, drink, sleep, exercise...you name it. Just like my kids "if you give them an inch they take a yard" same goes for me.

I've lost 70lbs so far and have about 80-90 to go. What has helped me?

Sleep. This has made a huge difference.

Water. Sometimes I feel like I'm floating but it helps me with my workouts and my skin is looking better than any jar/scrip I've had.

Logging. I log every morsel. Keeps me in check.

Weighing. Some say daily, some say not. I do daily. Again, keeps me in check.

Eating cleaner. You know the routine. :)

A cheat. I don't call it a cheat but many here do. If I want a cupcake, I eat a cupcake. Then done. No stress. CICO, rest of the day.

Exercise. I do daily. Some disagree, again, keeps me in check. I usually do about 65 minutes on the elliptical but everyone is different. It's a comfort spot that took me a while to get to.

Life. I've really tried to cut out the "noise" and stop sweating the small stuff. I don't go to therapy but it has helped so many.

Nutritionist. I've been a few times, check with your plan...surprisingly with many, it is free.

Goofing up...when you goof up, learn from it and move on. Don't dwell on it. We are human!

Last...a daily pic (I do post workout). I am my own motivator on the days I don't want to do right. I just scroll back days on my phone and I can totally see the difference.

Friend me if you'd like.