Is it wrong not to comment or like a private diary

I have a number of friends who have private diary's so I do not know how they did when I see they were under so I don't comment or like bec I feel I can not accurately support them if I can not see their progress is that rude?

Replies

• 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    No, I think you are right. You can't comment on what you don't know. You could maybe say 'well done for being under'. If you feel better doing that.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    2essie wrote: »
    No, I think you are right. You can't comment on what you don't know. You could maybe say 'well done for being under'. If you feel better doing that.

Hmm. But sometimes being consistently under is actually someone undereating. I couldn't/wouldn't support that.

But I'm also one who never likes or comments on diary closes and exercises. I don't really see the point, I don't need to be cheerlead on those things so I don't do it to others. In fact I haven't closed my diary aside from a couple of times way back when.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Eh. Unless someone asks me what I think, I don't comment. I have no idea what they do in their life or if their diary is 100% accurate.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I have a number of friends who have private diary's so I do not know how they did when I see they were under so I don't comment or like bec I feel I can not accurately support them if I can not see their progress is that rude?

I never comment on closed diaries. I don't have many friends with locked diaries. I would generally ask why it's locked.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member

No, it is not rude.
    I don't think it is necessary to like or comment on someone completing their diary even if you can see it unless they ask for input.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    I don't think most people care, but I'm like that too, in that I don't like to approve of something I can't see. Also, even though I believe in "if it fits your calories", I have a hard time "liking" diaries full of junk or that are otherwise unhealthy in some way (but I don't think people should "like" my days like that either ;) )
  • try2again
    A_Rene86 wrote: »
    I just want to give my 2 cents as someone with a closed diary that no, I don't think it's rude at all! I used to have my diary open, but I found that it resulted in more frequent comments on my dietary choices than I was comfortable with (be it during a discussion in the forums or from friends on my page). As an example of what I mean, sometimes I will weigh out a proper serving (according to package directions), then find that the MFP entry doesn't have it by weight. However, I know that I weighed out the gram equivalent of a 1/2 cup based on the package so logging it as such results in the same calories/macros being recorded without my having to re-enter the whole thing. Other users see this "1/2 cup", assume I'm not weighing and offer a diatribe on the inaccuracy of measuring cups. This discouraged me, so I cut out the cause.

I do that too. I find it hard to believe that people give others on their friend's list a hard time about their logging/choices. Sometimes if I know someone is new and choosing inaccurate database entries I will point it out, but otherwise, unless they ask, I try to abide by, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" :)
  • A_Rene86
    A_Rene86 Posts: 141 Member
    edited April 2017
    try2again wrote: »
    I just want to give my 2 cents as someone with a closed diary that no, I don't think it's rude at all! I used to have my diary open, but I found that it resulted in more frequent comments on my dietary choices than I was comfortable with (be it during a discussion in the forums or from friends on my page). As an example of what I mean, sometimes I will weigh out a proper serving (according to package directions), then find that the MFP entry doesn't have it by weight. However, I know that I weighed out the gram equivalent of a 1/2 cup based on the package so logging it as such results in the same calories/macros being recorded without my having to re-enter the whole thing. Other users see this "1/2 cup", assume I'm not weighing and offer a diatribe on the inaccuracy of measuring cups. This discouraged me, so I cut out the cause.

I do that too. I find it hard to believe that people give others on their friend's list a hard time about their logging/choices. Sometimes if I know someone is new and choosing inaccurate database entries I will point it out, but otherwise, unless they ask, I try to abide by, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" :)

I completely agree. I will offer suggestions if someone is looking for guidance and/or if intervention of some sort seems necessary, but unless I see something dangerous or wildly inaccurate, I view it as yet another item on a long list of things that aren't my business.

I think you're right to abide by that :) even when we must say something, there is no reason why we must say it in a patronizing or unfriendly way!
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited April 2017

I don't think anyone cares about comments on their diary. I wouldn't even bother.
  • try2again

Having said all that, I also recognize that many people are suspicious of a closed diary and hesitant to congratulate an accomplishment they don't have any information on! And further, I get the impression most people don't expect congratulations on these auto-generated posts anyway :)

Ugh. This why I a) closed my diary, b) turned off the newsfeed posts for it, and c) rarely even "complete" it anyway. Had a few jelly bellies logged and got a lecture on how the candy industry is evil and it's all a conspiracy to keep us addicted and all this nonsense. Like "Hey, I just want some damn jelly beans. Get off my *kitten* about how I want to spend my last 24 calories for the day, huh?"

The only time I like or comment on someone's newsfeed post is if I know that they need the encouragement for whatever reason. Either they're new, having trouble, been down on themselves or whatever. I assume most people are as annoyed by the flood of notifications they have to clear from their phone as I am when they haven't really done anything special.

Who are these people?! Granted, I have a small friends list, but I've had a few crazies in there at one time or another and no one's ever criticized my food choices!

In imitation of a couple of friends on my list, I recently turned off the notifications on my diary, but left it open so friends can see it if they want to for some reason. It really has cleaned up the news feed so you can see more significant posts. But I think some people want someone to read their diary every day to help keep them accountable
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    I feel a newsfeed 'like' is a back pat for hitting the goals they set. It's their business, not yours as to whether their goal is adequate.

The only time a closed diary is rude is when/if they've specifically asked for food plan advice or input on why they aren't achieving their goals.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    edited April 2017
    I deliberately turned off notifications for posting when I close my diary because it is on private and I don't need someone randomly cheering for me when they have no idea what I ate that day. I kinda feel like if your diary is closed but you get annoyed if people don't like or comment when you close it, you're being a bit of a goose, frankly.

And my diary is closed because I have no need or desire to have people comment on my food choices. If I ever feel the need to ask advise I might open it, but I really don't see that happening.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I'm glad you asked this. I've got a few friends who have locked diaries, but then complete it so it posts on the newsfeed, why why why? What's even more confounding is the likes and 'good job' comments they get :huh: I have never liked or commented on a locked diary, because i have zero idea what the hell it is I'm liking!!!!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    I'm glad you asked this. I've got a few friends who have locked diaries, but then complete it so it posts on the newsfeed, why why why? What's even more confounding is the likes and 'good job' comments they get :huh: I have never liked or commented on a locked diary, because i have zero idea what the hell it is I'm liking!!!!

Because they don't know that you can change your settings to not post, or don't care enough not to, I suppose.
  • christys03
    christys03 Posts: 22,784 Member
    I dont. How do u comment on something u have no idea about....