Vegan and fat

Options
2»

Replies

• JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    JUST Me. but if your trying to lose weight, maintain weight, gain weight the mathematical formula applies. You have to count calories (or at least be somewhat aware of them) in order to reach what ever goal you have for yourself. Just my opinion.
  • VeganAmandaJ
    VeganAmandaJ Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Congrats on going fully vegan and losing 30 lbs! That is great!

You're right, I see many saying this, many of which are ALREADY in good health/fitness/not overweight or in need of losing weight/fat.

Vegan foods can be junky for sure! That's why I want to focus on WFPB (whole foods plant based) instead of just going "vegan".. still working on it.

I think counting calories can be a great thing even for vegans who do WFPB because you could for sure overeat the healthy food easily. For me, I can easily overeat and eat large quantities so even if I were to strictly follow WFPB veganism and do NO processed foods at all, I would still count calories. Over time you can guess on calories/macros so may not have to be as strict with counting and eventually perhaps not have to count as much.

As far as macros and being high in carbs, as long as they're mostly nutritious WFPB then I don't think you should have to worry. I'm still in the beginning stages and notice I tend to have high carbs when I eat this way and fat and protein are similar though I would prefer higher protein and lower fat. You can adjust your goals as stated above.

Wish you the best and hope you continue doing well and feeling good!
    elyvegan wrote: »
    It's been 4 months since i decided to go full vegan (because a lot of reasons). I have already lost 30 pounds since then. But, I got some concerns about this calorie counting and veganism.

A lot of vegan gurus says that you dont need calories counting.

Jeje! HONESTLY! In my experience, veganism has "junk food" too! I have this sweet tooth, so yes, I dont eat animal products but still Im struggling with cookies and empty carbs. That's why I think that I need to count calories because:

1. I need to make sure that Im getting all the calories and nutrients that I need.
    2. Vegan Junk food makes me fat anyways! And prevents me from losing weight

My second concern is that the myfitnesspal chart has this "nutrient suggestions" and Im always high in carbs because obviously i eat lots of greens and wholes. But overall I feel great and more active. Why myfitnesspal has to suggest so few carbs? Can I change my carbs goals :| anybody?

• VeganAmandaJ
    VeganAmandaJ Posts: 234 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Ah, I see... I haven't perused the vegan posts on here yet. That's unfortunate that people don't understand what all is involved and actually pretty negligent since it could result in serious deficiencies; plus the fact that they're not conscious of what veganism involves. Also the fact that anything can be vegan; TONS of vegan junk food out there.
    [/quote]
    @cwolfman13
    There are many such posts on MFP...there are a lot of people here who think going vegan will default to weight loss and automatic health and specifically are wanting to convert for weight loss purposes without any actual knowledge of how to eat nutritionally and meet nutritional requirements with a strict vegan diet.[/quote]

• HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    It's been 4 months since i decided to go full vegan (because a lot of reasons). I have already lost 30 pounds since then. But, I got some concerns about this calorie counting and veganism.

Jeje! HONESTLY! In my experience, veganism has "junk food" too! I have this sweet tooth, so yes, I dont eat animal products but still Im struggling with cookies and empty carbs. That's why I think that I need to count calories because:

1. I need to make sure that Im getting all the calories and nutrients that I need.

Eh... Who are these vegan gurus? Was there an election? I never received a ballot slip...

Anyway, back to the thread. Do vegans need to calorie count, and why would someone say they didn't?

Step back from veganism for a minute. Does everyone on the standard American diet need to count calories? Obviously, the answer is no. There are plenty of people who stay at their happy healthy weight without calorie counting. For example, some of them are simply so active they can eat whatever they like, so their calories in=calories out; and some of them eat everything in appropriate moderation, which means calories in=calories out. There are even people who successfully resolve unwelcome weight gain without calorie counting, simply by making lifestyle changes, like eating everything in moderation from then on.

This is relevant, because as a vegan, moderation is somewhat forced on you. Let's consider ice-cream. There are two shops in my town that each sell five varieties of dairy-free vegan ice-cream. To me, used to there being only one brand of dairy-free vanilla, this is a magnificent range. To my husband who is a vegetarian, five varieties of ice-cream is the bare minimum that he would expect of a tiny corner shop, and in a supermarket he expects to see an entire aisle of choices.

So, with that in mind, if you challenged a vegetarian/someone on the standard American diet and a vegan to eat a bowl of ice-cream/dairy-free ice-cream (as appropriate) every night for as long as they could stand it, which one would get sick of ice-cream first? Generally the vegan.

Similarly, someone without dietary restrictions can go way over their calories by going to McDonalds every day for a week without getting bored. If you're a vegan however, it's basically just the fries and the garden salad.

So, statistically, at the population-level, I expect that a higher proportion of vegans will find they don't need to calorie count, and many people report that going vegan helped them lose weight without calorie counting.

This is the origin of propaganda like "vegans don't need to calorie count".

However, it's propaganda. It's not true that no vegan ever needs to calorie count, and it's inaccurate for anyone to declare that veganism entirely eliminates any need for it.

It has always been possible to eat too much as a vegan- simply eating too big portions will do it. Now, of course, it's getting easier to be an overweight vegan all the time, as manufacturers spot the gap in the market for dairy-free, egg-free confectionery. :D

• RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    YalithKBK wrote: »
    OMG! Can I shake your hand??? You are like, the only vegan I have ever heard of that doesn't think vegan diets are automatically healthy and you can eat whatever you want. I don't really have any advice on macros (sorry) just wanted to say thanks for being realistic!
    YalithKBK wrote: »
    OMG! Can I shake your hand??? You are like, the only vegan I have ever heard of that doesn't think vegan diets are automatically healthy and you can eat whatever you want. I don't really have any advice on macros (sorry) just wanted to say thanks for being realistic!

All this! :smiley: also, adorable dog and awesome hair!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Being vegan doesn't necessarily lead to weight loss. Doesn't matter what we eat, we must eat less than we burn or we wont lose.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Junk food is junk food no matter what, and even too many calories of "good foods" can be a bad thing.

I've been vegan for 20 years now and I'm on the same weight loss site as everyone else. But I'm an ethical vegan. I love animals, seriously all animals, and I do rescue in my free time.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Just stopping in to say adorable puppers.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Yes you can change your carb goal mine is pretty high!
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I calculated my macros on IIFYM and then manually put them here on MFP. I did a vegan challenge for 30 days and avoided all processed vegan foods and vegan replacements foods. It was wonderful and I definitely lost weight but ended up with severe anemia by the end. Being carb heavy is absolutely fine... carbs don't make you fat, eating too much food does. Just make sure your carbs are whole foods :smile:

Not discouraging anyone from eating whole foods (I eat some myself), but it's totally possible to lose weight and meet nutritional needs as a vegan while also including some non-whole foods in the diet.

Of course it is! Hell, you could lose weight eating Twinkies and Cheerios all day long as long as you're burning more than you're eating.

I was just mentioning the whole foods thing because there are so many Vegan replacements that are just awful and full of chemicals!! I know that a lot of new Vegans tend to rely on these types of foods so they're not really meeting their nutrient requirements on a reduced calorie Vegan diet.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I calculated my macros on IIFYM and then manually put them here on MFP. I did a vegan challenge for 30 days and avoided all processed vegan foods and vegan replacements foods. It was wonderful and I definitely lost weight but ended up with severe anemia by the end. Being carb heavy is absolutely fine... carbs don't make you fat, eating too much food does. Just make sure your carbs are whole foods :smile:

Not discouraging anyone from eating whole foods (I eat some myself), but it's totally possible to lose weight and meet nutritional needs as a vegan while also including some non-whole foods in the diet.

Of course it is! Hell, you could lose weight eating Twinkies and Cheerios all day long as long as you're burning more than you're eating.

I was just mentioning the whole foods thing because there are so many Vegan replacements that are just awful and full of chemicals!! I know that a lot of new Vegans tend to rely on these types of foods so they're not really meeting their nutrient requirements on a reduced calorie Vegan diet.

There is nothing inherently wrong with chemicals. They are found in all foods, including whole foods. Twinkies and Cheerios aren't vegan, so I'm not sure why you're bringing them up in this context (and notice that I specifically called out meetings one's nutritional needs, so this is kind of a strawman to act like I'm talking about eating just two foods all day long).

There is nothing about eating vegan replacements that means one won't meet one's nutritional needs. In fact, sometimes these products actually help people meet their needs. I use plant milks to help meet my needs for calcium, protein (in soy milk, at least), and vitamin D. I eat nutritional yeast to help meet my needs for B12. I eat faux meat made from wheat gluten and hemp protein powder to help meet my need for protein. I could meet these needs without processed foods, sure. But why eliminate something tasty that helps me meet my nutritional needs and fits within my calorie goals?

It's equally possible for someone eating a diet excluding non-whole foods to fail to meet their nutritional needs -- things like iron, vitamin D, vitamin B12, and protein can sometimes be a struggle if one is eliminating processed foods from the diet. Not always, it's certainly possible to meet one's needs.

Why not just encourage vegans to focus on meeting their nutritional needs instead of arbitrarily excluding non-whole foods from the diet?
  • Windrunner666
    Windrunner666 Posts: 91 Member
    Options

Eh... Who are these vegan gurus? Was there an election? I never received a ballot slip...

Anyway, back to the thread. Do vegans need to calorie count, and why would someone say they didn't?

Step back from veganism for a minute. Does everyone on the standard American diet need to count calories? Obviously, the answer is no. There are plenty of people who stay at their happy healthy weight without calorie counting. For example, some of them are simply so active they can eat whatever they like, so their calories in=calories out; and some of them eat everything in appropriate moderation, which means calories in=calories out. There are even people who successfully resolve unwelcome weight gain without calorie counting, simply by making lifestyle changes, like eating everything in moderation from then on.

This is relevant, because as a vegan, moderation is somewhat forced on you. Let's consider ice-cream. There are two shops in my town that each sell five varieties of dairy-free vegan ice-cream. To me, used to there being only one brand of dairy-free vanilla, this is a magnificent range. To my husband who is a vegetarian, five varieties of ice-cream is the bare minimum that he would expect of a tiny corner shop, and in a supermarket he expects to see an entire aisle of choices.

So, with that in mind, if you challenged a vegetarian/someone on the standard American diet and a vegan to eat a bowl of ice-cream/dairy-free ice-cream (as appropriate) every night for as long as they could stand it, which one would get sick of ice-cream first? Generally the vegan.

Similarly, someone without dietary restrictions can go way over their calories by going to McDonalds every day for a week without getting bored. If you're a vegan however, it's basically just the fries and the garden salad.

So, statistically, at the population-level, I expect that a higher proportion of vegans will find they don't need to calorie count, and many people report that going vegan helped them lose weight without calorie counting.

However, it's propaganda. It's not true that no vegan ever needs to calorie count, and it's inaccurate for anyone to declare that veganism entirely eliminates any need for it.

It has always been possible to eat too much as a vegan- simply eating too big portions will do it. Now, of course, it's getting easier to be an overweight vegan all the time, as manufacturers spot the gap in the market for dairy-free, egg-free confectionery. :D

Vegan gurus like Freelee the banana girl (or today gofreeyourself) Fullyrawkristina, heck there is one other guy called Durianrider who promotes eating raw sugar and drinking sprite for weightloss. There is "That vegan couple" "Bananiac" etc all are for HCLF,30 bananas a day diet. Lots of people like unnatural vegan have critisized them for their *kitten*, but a lot of newly vegans (including me in the past) have stumbled upon them and believed their crap.
  • skinnycow1234567
    skinnycow1234567 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Im doing the vegan thing for 2 more weeks. Did 40 days of it and realized how much MORE carbs i was eating..I monitored all my macros balanced everything, thats when i started shedding fat.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Vegan gurus like Freelee the banana girl (or today gofreeyourself) Fullyrawkristina, heck there is one other guy called Durianrider who promotes eating raw sugar and drinking sprite for weightloss. There is "That vegan couple" "Bananiac" etc all are for HCLF,30 bananas a day diet. Lots of people like unnatural vegan have critisized them for their *kitten*, but a lot of newly vegans (including me in the past) have stumbled upon them and believed their crap.
    Ah. Them. Of course it's them. I am soooooooo glad to have been vegan before the internet... Durianrider is Freelee's ex-boyfriend, by the way.

• sarahbrown314
    sarahbrown314 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for 12 years and started calorie counting in Jan. It depends on what your goals are but you can obviously tweak the amount of carbs - I do 35/35/30 p/c/f, initially I was target 40% protein but found I was skipping fruit which seemed silly. Bottom line is, and it sounds like you know this already, it matters just as much for vegans as anyone else. French fries - vegan! Oreos - vegan! Dark chocolate - vegan!

If you read through the many threads you'll see many people keep their carbs much higher than this and still lose successfully so do whatever works for you body and just make sure you leave room for a reasonable amount of protein and fat while staying under your calorie goal.
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I kind of find it bewildering how veganism has become about all this Freelee and Durianrider and co crap (I am so embarassed that they are Australian and also I can't understand how people watch these two and decided to take advice from them, they are clearly unhinged and just making stuff up as they go along). Veganism has its foundations in recognising animals as beings that experience pain and suffering and deserve respect and that not consuming or wearing animals or animal products is an ethical stance, not a health one.

I get that people might do it for perceived health or weight loss benefits but it could have the opposite effect if research is not done, especially things like B12 deficiencies.

To the OP, well done, sounds like you are feeling great, you certainly look great. If you are worried about fats and don't necessarily want to cook with olive oil etc you could try flaxseed oil, I use it in capsule form but it also just comes just as a liquid. Has plenty of omegas in it too.
  • Windrunner666
    Windrunner666 Posts: 91 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Ah. Them. Of course it's them. I am soooooooo glad to have been vegan before the internet... Durianrider is Freelee's ex-boyfriend, by the way.

They are the ones that everyone stumbles upon at least once. Freelee is selling veganism as a weightloss plan, a "lifestyle for life" and recommends eating 3000 cals per, tell me who wouldn't want to believe that?
    Many people end up believing them, at least partially especially if you used to yo-yo diet for a long time.
    They're crap and should be called out for intentionally misleading people.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I believe you already have it figured out correctly in that you absolutely can overeat calories on a vegan diet and that counting calories is not a bad idea if you feel you need to. I'm just passing through to say that I love your dogs!
  • ana_varn
    ana_varn Posts: 98 Member
    Options

They are the ones that everyone stumbles upon at least once. Freelee is selling veganism as a weightloss plan, a "lifestyle for life" and recommends eating 3000 cals per, tell me who wouldn't want to believe that?
    Many people end up believing them, at least partially especially if you used to yo-yo diet for a long time.
    They're crap and should be called out for intentionally misleading people.

A couple of years ago they had a site and I had joined, doing a "Raw till 4" diet sort of. However they would recommend 2500-3000 calories for a woman... that doesn't freaking workout except the walking. I was a student and yes I wasn't an adult but didn't hide it from them. I couldn't eat more than 1800 calories of this diet and I started getting weight again as it was in the middle of my weight loss journey. I wrote to them about all this and they kicked me out hahaha! Oh I also told them that when I was eating a vegetarian or "omnivorous" diet I was able to lose weight and it wasn't what made me fat. They would NOT accept it.

As for the vegan weight gain, I would eat less sweet fruit, breads and nut butters. The nut butters and seed spreads (tahini) are so full of fats and calories. I would only have them if they fit my calorie intake for the day. Soya chunks and mince are an amazing low-cal protein source. To this day, if I have pasta "bolognese", I make my sauce with soya mince. Soya chunks are great in a tortilla or with sweet potato or just a salad when you want to cut carbs.

Oh and one thing that you should avoid as a vegan: don't make cookies and vegan sweets when you want to lose weight! Just because they're vegan it doesn't mean they're low-cal. I once made these cookies and were like 150 Kcal per cookie! They were so delicious, you couldn't just have one. It's better to stick to fresh fruits and vegan yogurts for sweet meals or snacks.