Men, the books you've read

Options

Replies

• lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Thankfully in the UK we don't feel the need to bear arms. We use intelligence instead

I'm not overly zealous about firearms, but I do own some.

I've traveled through Europe and Canada and I've heard people question or say disparaging remarks about the right to bear arms in the US.

I believe the right to bear arms has historically produced a citizenry who is proficient in operating firearms. I would argue that this has allowed for a strong military that has helped save our country, and others, on various occasions throughout our history.
  • IVMay
    IVMay Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    _MistahJ_ wrote: »
    IVMay wrote: »
    _MistahJ_ wrote: »
    Still working on Rant by Chuck Palahniuk.

I only ever read his Fight Club after seeing the film (hadn't heard of him prior to that) - what's Rant like?

It's a little different in that it's written like an investigative field journal and--for me--can be a little hard to really get into for more than a chapter or two at a time. It's about Buster "Rant" Casey who leaves his small town for the big city, starts a cult of people who crash their cars for fun, infects hundreds with rabies (which he acquires in a very odd way). The rabies spreads and becomes a plague, with Rant being patient zero.

That does sound quite interesting, tbh. I'll def look it up once I finish this thing I'm going through on the count of st germain. Cheers mate .
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Thankfully in the UK we don't feel the need to bear arms. We use intelligence instead

I'm not overly zealous about firearms, but I do own some.

I've traveled through Europe and Canada and I've heard people question or say disparaging remarks about the right to bear arms in the US.

I believe the right to bear arms has historically produced a citizenry who is proficient in operating firearms. I would argue that this has allowed for a strong military that has helped save our country, and others, on various occasions throughout our history.

... plus it makes it a lot easier to bust a cap in some punk's azz.
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    Cuttently reading The Corinthian by Georgette Heyer and a couple of research articles on strategies for reducing Latinx high school student dropout rates.
  • IVMay
    Options
    Cuttently reading The Corinthian by Georgette Heyer and a couple of research articles on strategies for reducing Latinx high school student dropout rates.

That's easy - just fiddle the numbers or change the meaning. Dropouts? NOOOO - mere transfers from one educational establishment to another - University of Life
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    IVMay wrote: »

That's easy - just fiddle the numbers or change the meaning. Dropouts? NOOOO - mere transfers from one educational establishment to another - University of Life

Noooooooooooooooooo! :s
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Leave it to men to turn a book thread into a gun thread.
  • _Phill727
    _Phill727 Posts: 57 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Flash Boys by Michael Lewis has me hooked right now. (He also wroteThe Big Short, and Moneyball)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options

That didn't work out so well for you in 1939.
  • Motorsheen
    Options

Didn't the British win?

With Russia doing the heavy lifting. ..
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Didn't the British win?

But the guns. What about the guns?

I don't own a gun.

I would rather kill some *kitten* with my bare hands.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Here is a great read on the Revolutionary war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Revolutionary_War
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Another great read on the rise and fall of the British empire, with cool interactive map.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/09/08/map-the-rise-and-fall-of-the-british-empire/?utm_term=.302d1a51c550
  • IVMay
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    Another great read on the rise and fall of the British empire, with cool interactive map.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/09/08/map-the-rise-and-fall-of-the-british-empire/?utm_term=.302d1a51c550

I'll definitely take a look at that. Sounds interesting. Thumbs up.
  • Carillon_Campanello
    Carillon_Campanello Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Didn't the British win?

But the guns. What about the guns?

Russia did the heavy lifting using 50,000,000 battle rifles produced during war time to specifically combat the Nazis. A large majority of these guns have since been imported to the good ole US of A. God bless gun powder. Even if it is a bit corrosive.

Is that enough guns?
  • Spencerport
    Spencerport Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Currently reading Dragon Queen by Stephen Deas.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I am going to try to put this back on track a bit:
    Blink by Malcolm Gladwell
    Augustine: Conversions to Confessions by Robin Lane Fox
    Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth by Reza Aslan
  • Carillon_Campanello
    Carillon_Campanello Posts: 726 Member
    Options

@Timshel_

This is a pretty good read about the rise and fall of empires on a more general level with most major empires sited throughout history.

http://people.uncw.edu/kozloffm/glubb.pdf

Also try War And Peace And War by Peter Turchin. Fascinating how history repeats itself. People think what's happening now is new. When really it's par for the course.
  • Motorsheen
    Options

@Timshel_

This is a pretty good read about the rise and fall of empires on a more general level with most major empires sited throughout history.

http://people.uncw.edu/kozloffm/glubb.pdf

Also try War And Peace And War by Peter Turchin. Fascinating how history repeats itself. People think what's happening now is new. When really it's par for the course.

I'm putting the turchin book in my amazon cart
    Thx