what jean size would you consider....

Options

Replies

• Veggie_Eloise
    Veggie_Eloise Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    As a 5'7.5" medium-build gal I couldn't imagine a 00-2!

The difference:
    My mother in law is about 5'4" and her "big" pants are a size 12.
    I'm currently busting my *kitten* to be a size 12.
    In high school, at 150lbs I was wearing a size 9 and killing it :)

So it really does just depend on your height and bone structure.
    But in the end, the size in my pants or the number on the scale won't rule me.
    I want to just feel better and be healthy.
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    You said-you don't feel skinny. Well honey that is in your head. And no matter how small you get it won't start feeling that way until your head gets wrapped around that. If could take a long time for you to feel that way and you have to see yourself differently if you want that to happen. Numbers are not important and irrelevant. Yes we strive to reach certain numbers and that is important to keep us going. But we have to remember the number represents our own health and feeling good. You may realize in a few months or years how little you actually are. But you have to actively see yourself differently and not put yourself down. Sounds like your are doing great so don't worry so much about the number just be proud of where you are!
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I didn't read every single post, but i noticed a lot of people said that a size 0 or 1 was too skinny. For some people that's absolutely not true. It completely depends on your height, bone structure, and your genetics. I used to be a size 0 and 110 lbs, and that's actually really healthy for my height. I achieved it by eating healthy and working out (former gymnast/ dancer). Now I obviously have gained some lol but I want to get back to that size because it means I'm healthy, not that i needed to "stop a while ago"

That is so true. When I was 100 lbs in high school I was a size 4. I'm 115 lbs now in my 30s and still a size for. I still wore 4s when I was 120 lbs. I've worn 6s and 8s after having kids and when I wasn't working out. But as soon as I started puberty I was a size 4 because I had hips. No matter how skinny I was I could never wear a 0,1,2 or 3. I do have one pair of pants that says size 2 but they fit just like my 4s. So it most certainly depends on height, bone structure and shape.
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Options
    Not that you can really generalize but I'm also 5'9" and these sizes are pretty much right on for me too. . .
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Options
    Not that you can really generalize but I'm also 5'9" and these sizes are pretty much right on for me too. . .

I was referring to Ding724's post. :0) Thought I'd confuse things. hehehe
  • jesminer3
    jesminer3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm so confused on how the BMI calculator works I'm "overweight" according to the calculator but I wear a size 4/5 jeans! Being short defiantly has a downside 1 pound seems like 5 :neutral:
    Here are my stats:
    Height: 5'0"
    Weight: 134 (working on cutting down to 123)
    Jean Size: 4/5 (I typically wear Express or AE jeans)
    Tops: S/M
    BMI 26.17
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,817 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    jean size for me, at a height of 5'1", is very different than jean size for you, at a height of 5'8". For me, a 0-3 is fairly typical, but for someone of your height I would think a 6 is probably fairly typical for a fit woman. Bodies vary greatly in clothing wear, especially women's clothing. It drives me crazy when buying clothes online.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Deleted. Necro thread!
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Apart from the extreme ends of the spectrum, i.e. if someone tells me they are a size 0, I know they're not overweight, and if someone tells me they're a size 20, I know they won't be underweight, clothes sizes don't tell you very much.
    although i do agree if you are a size 1-2 then you needed to stop awhile ago...
    i do want to know what people consider healthy, because i want to be considered 'healthy', even if my bmi says i 'am'..if barely. this is mostly because societal predilections for skinnier people will NOT go away any time soon, but i will be going on job interviews soon....

it would just be nice to know if i could be perceived as attractive or healthy at a 5-6 or a 7-8 or even a 10. it's not the reason why i want to lose weight, but it really couldn't hurt.
    Your clothes size isn't tattooed on your forehead. At least, I hope it's not. I keep saying this on here, but wear clothes that fit. Not the size you want to be, the size that looks good, and works with your body shape. You may have to try different stores for this, but almost all women do.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Anidorie wrote: »
    i just dont feel skinny!

This is wrong on so many levels. How you feel is often different than reality. You need to separate the two. Use objective measures for determining your body composition and where you should be. By far the simplest place to start is with a BMI calculator. There's one here on MFP or you can simply Google "bmi calculator".

If you want to get a slightly more quantitative measure get yourself a set of calipers and do some body fat measurements. You can measure anywhere from 2 or 3 points on your body to as many as 7, I think. Find out what your body fat percentage is and make sure it's healthy. Again, google what is considered healthy for a woman of your age. Finally, you can find physiology labs all over the place that will measure your body fat very accurately with a dunk test, for example. They generally help professional and college athletes, but a lot will take walk-ins and for a fee do those same measurements on you. I think my local university has a lab that will do it for $50.

Again, you can feel fat or skinny, but a feeling is not reality. Use an objective measurement to determine what reality is and hopefully that will help change, or validate, how you feel.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I didn't read everything, but I'd like to ask which brand? Depending on the brand of jeans you buy will depend on the sizing. As a matter of fact I saw an article that compared 2 pairs of jeans with the same size tag and the sizing was so different that it was visible in the picture.

Reality is there is no standard size chart across brands.

Here are examples:

Gap Jean - Waist 29 1/2 inches = size 8
    Lucky Brand - Waist 29 inches = size 8
    Old Navy - Waist 28 inches = size 8
    American Eagle - Waist 28.5 = size 8

Other brands will vary even further. The cut of the jeans also makes a difference because a skinny Jean will be tight on a someone with hips, but a boyfriend jean would fit fine.

Stop putting any worth into a number on your clothing. It is arbitrary and means nothing.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Why are you asking people to "criticize" you? I've read that a woman should weigh about 100 pounds, with 5 pounds for every added inch. I come from German peasant stock so I'm aiming for 150. Knowing whether others think that I am anoreic-obese doesn't help me meet my goal.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    OMG! Sizes are all over the place! I wear anything from a size 3 / 2 (Chicos) to a size 14 (Ann Taylor) to 16 (Lauren). What is your waist in inches? What are your hips in inches? What about your ribcage (where your bra starts)? I weighed 183+ at my highest weight and all of these sizes fit me based upon waist size. While I have lost over 25 lbs, I have only gone down 1 size (maybe). And I am swimming in some of my clothes, but not others.
  • ValleyHooper
    ValleyHooper Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Like everyone has already said it all varies greatly depending on one's body type. Size, bone structure (hips), height all affects things much differently depending on the person.

At my heaviest I was a size 16 and weighed almost 170lbs. I was miserable. I am 5'11" and had wide hips. People always told me "wow, you have child bearing hips." That used to drive me crazy.

Then I was a size 12/13 for what seemed ages!!!

Now, at age 36 I am at a size 4/6 and tend to fluctuate in weight from 124-130lbs. I plan to NEVER go back to double digits ever again. My hips are a tad smaller now though. I was in a car accident and shattered my pelvis. After my hip surgery I noticed I was a bit smaller around the waist.
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Like everyone has already said it all varies greatly depending on one's body type. Size, bone structure (hips), height all affects things much differently depending on the person.

At my heaviest I was a size 16 and weighed almost 170lbs. I was miserable. I am 5'11" and had wide hips. People always told me "wow, you have child bearing hips." That used to drive me crazy.

Then I was a size 12/13 for what seemed ages!!!

Now, at age 36 I am at a size 4/6 and tend to fluctuate in weight from 124-130lbs. I plan to NEVER go back to double digits ever again. My hips are a tad smaller now though. I was in a car accident and shattered my pelvis. After my hip surgery I noticed I was a bit smaller around the waist.

I feel you on people drawing attention to 'child bearing hips'. I hated mine as a teenager because they made me feel bigger than I was as I was never able to get into a size 4 because of them. Such drama. *eye roll*

I'm 5'10, 148lbs, and a size 6 on the bottom (4 on top), hedging my way down to a size 4 simply because I want the world to see the muscles I've earned but at my size and height I'm perfectly normal/slim. Other women my height can and do look amazing with a fuller figure because of their body type so as long as you're happy and healthy I don't think your jean size should matter, which is why I second everyone else's comments about getting right with yourself. This could become a real problem (ED) if you let it.
  • StacywithaY
    StacywithaY Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am 5'11 and a size 14. I am always shocked when I pick up a pair of pants smaller than a ten, like how on earth could anyone be that small!?

I'd have to be dead a month to be a six.

This is an interesting post, though I'm not at all clear what the op wanted out of it.

Bodies are so unique, sizes are generic. As proof, I even have a petite top in my closet :smile:
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I am 5' tall, and wear size 8 jeans. I still need to lose about 40lbs so I'm still considerably overweight. Jean size is not a good indicator of healthy weight.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,817 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Deleted. Necro thread!

D'oh! :flushed:

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    nilisabel wrote: »
    you don't feel skinny? skinny isn't a feeling! but you know, I've been looking at people's screenames or other identifying themes (i.e. caricatures in their photo) and comparing their self-professed identities with their stated outlooks and I gotta say, the people who call themselves fat or cupcakeeater tend to not come in under on their calorie counts and people with barbie in their ID might be a little perfectionistic...I'm just saying, lol! (this is a totally broad generalization of my own experience here in the past 50 days or so that I've logged in, and of course I'm not being all that serious and have plenty of my own issues so i'm not throwing stones just highlighting a nugget of truth

Wonder what you would make of my name and profile. Probably that I love bananas and live on trees? Just good natured jesting ;)

OP jean size does not dictate your "skinniness". You could be an overweight size 10 as per body fat or an underweight size 10 with wide hips. To judge if you're a healthy weight look at your BMI and approximate body fat percentage. As for my personal size, I currently wear a 16 and I'm clinically obese, so there is one more useless reference point for you. When I was morbidly obese I wore a 28 and stepped off the class III obese category (what you would call morbidly obese or as you put it "extremely fat") at a size of about 22. Mileage will certainly vary.

ETA: pfft.. Why do I always fall for necros :(
  • brendywendy
    brendywendy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm short 5'2" so once I get to the size where I can only buy jeans in petite sections of teenage shops I stop dieting! My guideline is I try converting the Women's sizes into Children's i.e. UK8 is equivalent to a child age 12 (which coincidentally is when I began wearing women's clothes although I fill them out a little better now!). A UK6 is equivalent to a child age 10. As a grown woman I never want to look like an 8 year old girl so this is the point at which I say no more! UK4 (available only in petite teenage shops) is miniscule. So I cut back on dieting until I regain to a UK size 8. (Currently sitting at 8-10 so working on losing 6lbs).