April 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @icecreambecky - Welcome! If you can run 25 to 30 miles a week, including a long run of at least 10 miles once a week, you can pretty much run a half marathon whenever you see one you want to run. Any training more sophisticated than that would be intended to improve your finishing time. I don't think you're likely to kill yourself if your half is in May and you're already doing 10 mile long runs in early April.
  • JohnRoderick
    JohnRoderick Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Haha @WhatMeRunning knows where it's at!
    https://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wtQKG2Y/exercise.png

Another 4.3mi today after a lazy Sunday/Monday so 8.5mi so far. I hope I posted the ticker properly.

Hi @JessicaMcB my sister runs that race every year and loves it! Her husband is not cool with it either lol, especially last year she ran the midnight leg and even I was uneasy with it

Haha my husband doesn't even fully "get" trail running. I swear he imagines me running on a lovely paved path in the middle of nowhere or something. When I came home with my shins torn up and bleeding a few weekends ago (high kneeing it through a lot of snow full of dead briars in Wilmore Park if you are familiar with central AB) he actually said, "So wait, you're just running through the woods?" The bears and yotes and racing through the night would likely not make him happy either lol

Does your sister solo it or run in team? I know one other person who has run Sinister but she hasn't soloed.

She runs the team race. I never knew anyone could solo it!! Isn't it like 7 x 20km legs or something?! Up a mountain or two? Your a trooper!!
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options

Another 4.3mi today after a lazy Sunday/Monday so 8.5mi so far. I hope I posted the ticker properly.

Hi @JessicaMcB my sister runs that race every year and loves it! Her husband is not cool with it either lol, especially last year she ran the midnight leg and even I was uneasy with it

Haha my husband doesn't even fully "get" trail running. I swear he imagines me running on a lovely paved path in the middle of nowhere or something. When I came home with my shins torn up and bleeding a few weekends ago (high kneeing it through a lot of snow full of dead briars in Wilmore Park if you are familiar with central AB) he actually said, "So wait, you're just running through the woods?" The bears and yotes and racing through the night would likely not make him happy either lol

Does your sister solo it or run in team? I know one other person who has run Sinister but she hasn't soloed.

She runs the team race. I never knew anyone could solo it!! Isn't it like 7 x 20km legs or something?! Up a mountain or two? Your a trooper!!

It's 160k for a solo. I believe they open up 300 spots for soloists- 295 are spoken for already :/
  • JohnRoderick
    JohnRoderick Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB WOWZA
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options

It's 160k for a solo. I believe they open up 300 spots for soloists- 295 are spoken for already :/

Better get on that and register then.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Haha you're gonna do it @MNLittleFinn, I know it! Now someone help me figure out how to sell my husband on solo registration for this being a Mother's day gift lol. The FAQ is killing me, "What is the terrain like? Well its rocky and mountainous because it's in the Rocky Mountains..."

http://www.sinister7.com/

@JessicaMcB I believe that our little PR club is putting a team together for this, it conflicts with a potential family obligation so it's a no go for me. :s

It's not Sinister7 but 8 days until Emperor's Challenge Regristration opens. 2017 Registration opens at 12:01am on April 12th, 2017 and filled in approximately 18 hours in 2016. Race Day is Saturday August 12th, 2017. 129 days
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Sigh. 140 new posts.

I ran 5.35 miles yesterday but I didn't run today because I have been feeling awful all day. I laid in bed and listened to the radio for a while and now I have to go to therapy. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to run.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I still am running on a sore knee, so still wearing a brace. I might have experienced some tendinitis in the other shin. Anyway, was sore since Sat. all around, but have been taking NSAID's. First run since Sat. was 7.41 miles tonight. I need to step it up as I'm still trying to aggressively lose weight right now. Have been cutting back calories to make up, but that isn't quite enough.

exercise.png
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    WK: 4.3.17 - 4.9.17

M - Rest / Recover Day
    T - 9 m. 9:05 pace. TM.
    W -
    T - OFF
    F -
    S -
    S -
    Total - m.

• JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Better get on that and register then.

I know, right? Gotta talk to the boss though :/

My run tonight started off well and then I got chided hard by a cyclist for not hearing him behind me for maybe 50m. For the record I was to one side, he could have easily passed me. So then I was hyper-aware of effing everything after that (OCD is a hell of a thing) and was basically panicked the rest of the time I was out. Also cat-calling is back in season apparently. Good times were had by no one -_- .

April 1- 42.2
    April 2- 7.6
    April 3- 14
    April 4- 13.4

77.2km/300km

• OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    ariceroni wrote: »
    Question for the group: I never wear sunscreen, never have in my entire life (and I lived in FL until I was 18!). This thread has made me realize that this is a huge mistake, and I need to start protecting my skin asap! What sort of sun protection does everyone use, or are there any brands that you would recommend for running? Preferably something that sprays on, as lotions cause me severe panic attacks related to childhood trauma.
    @ariceroni I always hated wearing sunscreen while I run because it always felt so heavy and gross and made me feel sweaty instantly. A dermatologist told me a few years ago that with my fair skin and light eyes that I'm more susceptible to developing skin cancer and that's it's super important to wear sunscreen. This is after years and years of swim team and lifeguarding and not doing a great job at all to protect my skin. Last year I was on a mission to find a sunscreen that I could tolerate while running and I've found that Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch sunscreen works the best for me for running. I use the lotion but I believe they sell it in the spray can as well. Now I just need to get used to running with a cap and sunglasses.

• astrdomitter
    astrdomitter Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Had a good 2 mile jog today. 3/25
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    As for fueling, have you thought about trying to run while a little fasted? The idea is to train your body to use the more abundant fat for fuel, rather than relying on the limited (by comparison) carb resources. I generally run first thing in the morning, and have nothing to eat before going out (so we're talking at least 8 hours or so without food) and do just fine; I carry some gels just in case, but so far I've been able to run 19 miles straight without needing them. Just my two pennies.
    @angmarie28 - I'll echo @garygse's comments. I've gone from hating running, and needing fuel and hydration throughout a 3-mile run, to now only doing fuel for long runs (> 1.5 hours).

I also run first thing, and the only thing I take in is a cup of coffee, and I always wait until it's had it's gastro-intestinal effect before I head out the door. On Saturdays, which are my long-run days, I'll often have a toasted bagel and a spoonful of peanut butter along with the coffee. When I get back from my runs (BTW, I run 6 days/week, various distances and varied workout goals for each), if I've done 4+ miles, I'll have a Premiere Protein shake as a reward (they're tasty!). Otherwise, I'll just wait and eat my usual breakfast around 8:30 AM.

If I'm doing a race, then I will take advantage of all the hydration (usually just water, but some races, like half-marys, will alternate water & Gatorade). With summer coming on, I will prob started dropping off some water on the course for runs over 3-4 miles. Otherwise, not so much.