Date     Miles      MTD
    ------   -----    -------
    Apr 02     5.0        5.0

exercise.png
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I don't know why it cut off the rest of my post. I am missing my run because of thunderstorms. I plan to move my Sunday run to Monday this week. The weather shoukd be better tomorrow. I have been running 3 days a week since October when I did c25k. The recommendation was not to run on consecutive days. When do you know if you are ready to run consecutive days? I run on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. I don't really want to reschedule Tuesday run too.

I think if you've been running 3 days a week since October, you're probably ready to run two back-to-back days or even add in an extra day (if you feel like that's something you want to do). It's been a few years since I've done the C25K program so I can't remember exactly how it's set up, but if it's possible for you to do two of the easier runs or maybe just got at a slower pace on Monday and Tuesday, I'd do that. When I run on consecutive days, usually the first day will be a harder run and the second day will be an easier run since my body is still recovering from the harder run.
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 30 miles this month

4/2 -- 2.35 miles
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    04/02: 12.1 mile long run, 9:35 pace
    Total: 12.10 miles

Notes:
    The first three miles of this run were rough! My legs were just so tired and felt like lead, and I just couldn't get into it. I had decided to shorten the run to eight or ten miles, but then something clicked 3.5 miles in and my legs stopped feeling so awful! The rest of the miles went by quickly and I managed to keep my HR lower than I usually do for long runs :sweat_smile: Which is a good thing! Because I am still running a little too fast on my long/easy runs I think.

exercise.png

Training For:
    04/23: Ravenswood Run, 5K (Chicago)
    05/21: Chicago Spring Half Marathon
    10/08: Chicago Marathon
    11/26: Space Coast Half Marathon (Cocoa, FL)
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @kgirlhart - I didn't start running on consecutive days my first year of running. I don't know how to advise the best way to do it, but I'm happy to share my experiences. I ran 3-4 times/week that first year of running, basically every other day. One thing I recall reading that I believe applied to me, but maybe not to all new runners is to give your body that first year to build up skeletal and ligament strength, which takes the longest to develop but gives you the "platform" you need to start running regular long distances and multiple days. The reason I say this may not apply to all is that for some younger folks who were maybe athletic but not "runners" may have a significant amount of such strength to begin with compared to someone like me who was sedentary their whole life until their 40's when they began running. To add days to your running week, you can keep your mileage the same and just spread it out over more days. Or when you build up your mileage on a particular week instead of adding that mileage to an existing run, run that mileage as a new run on a new day. Let your body acclimate to running that distance but undergoing the stress of running more often. It may seem very easy, or not, and may take a few weeks to get acclimated to it. Once you go a week with it seeming rather easy then start adding mileage and/or days again. Repeat until you get to your desired number of days running and mileage. Also, make sure you run slow on those consecutive days.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I don't know why it cut off the rest of my post. I am missing my run because of thunderstorms. I plan to move my Sunday run to Monday this week. The weather shoukd be better tomorrow. I have been running 3 days a week since October when I did c25k. The recommendation was not to run on consecutive days. When do you know if you are ready to run consecutive days? I run on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. I don't really want to reschedule Tuesday run too.

With that much running history, you likely won't have a problem with consecutive days. I actually went to running 4 days a week right after I got out of my first 5K program, which was similar to C25K. In particular, I wanted to run both Saturday and Sunday because that's when I had the time. Just don't add more than one day to the schedule or a whole lot of weekly miles all at once. Either get back on your 3 day schedule with a one-off of consecutive days, or move to a 4 day schedule and leave it there for a few weeks to see how your body reacts.
  • tatianachesham
    tatianachesham Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    April 2- 8km
    135 km remaining.
    Congrats to everyone who jumped right in this month!
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    @ariceroni that happened to me today. Felt like I won't be able to complete my run but after 5k I was light as a feather
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    A traditional Sunday slow-short run 6.5 km ( rest day? ) with 7 of my club friends. Included Tim's Hill in the run as it is about the same length/grade as the Jasper HM finishing hill so a way to get in just a little more hill work.
    5:29/km avg. 5 of 7 will be in Jasper next weekend for the HM so this is the start of HM Taper Madness ;) .
    One more shorty on Wednesday and travel day on Friday, race Saturday, Sunday morning Day Hiking around Jasper. The event is 2 weeks earlier than last year so it will be cooler and an increased chance of crappy spring weather.

04/01 0.0 km – 140. km – 0.0 km – YTD 300.05
    04/02 6.5 km – 135.5km - 6.5km – YTD 306.55

exercise.png

@HonuNui - Like all your other MFP Friends I'm so sorry to hear about your news.
  • Run4life375
    Run4life375 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,017 Member
    Options
    Thanks @OSUbuckeye906 , @whatmerunning and @mobycarp. I think I will plan to run on Monday and Tuesday this week and see how it goes. I do feel like I want to add a day, but I will be 49 this month and I was not very athletic in my youth. I don't want to injure myself. I have been trying to take it slow and not do too much too soon. I really have missed my run today though. I know lots of people run in the rain, but thunderstorms are a whole other story.
  • snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    4/1 - 7.0 mi.
    4/2 - 4.0 mi

April goal: 11/100 miles

I started running in Nov. -- finally signed up for my first 5K race in May! B):#
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart if you're worried about adding that day, make Tuesday a shorter/easier day. Adding another day isn't a problem if you do it right. I remember adding in Tuesdays, about this time last year, and I added it in as a day that was only 50-60% the distance of the other days, with room to build up.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,017 Member
    Options
    Thanks @MNLittleFinn!
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @iofred - You don't have to taper the week before that HM if you don't race it and instead treat it as a standard long run. :wink:

OTOH, some of us have trouble treating a race as a standard long run. Best intentions, then there's that race environment.

Very true. The only way I can guarantee that I will not "race" a race is to agree to run it with somebody that I know is slower. I have done this plenty of times, it's just when I am left to my own discretion that I just can't hold back.

I can't even do that. I have been invited to run in races with runners who are faster than me, and I feel guilty about holding them back. Last year's Muddy Monk Nearly Sane Half Marathon, I ran with 2 friends - one who has been recovering from surgery, and therefore slower than me, and the other is usually faster than me, but was recovering poorly from an injury. I ran *half* the race with both of them, then remarked that it could probably still be a PR if I ran the second half harder - they both encouraged me to do so, and I cheered them each as they crossed the finish line, with my shiny new PR. But it seems easier on my conscience to just run solo.
  • MallowMoira
    MallowMoira Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm in.

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I was looking at my training plan for the week, the revised plan is only 2 miles shorter than the original for the week. The route I picked out for Saturday "could" help bring me back on schedule. Revised plan has 17 mile LR, original had 18. I'm planning a relatively flat (364 ft elevation according to strava) route for next weekend that is actually 18 mules, but stopping to walk the last mile will be easy enough if I'm gassed.
    https://www.strava.com/routes/7765638

All the hills in the last 5 miles are ones I've done many times, so at least I know those pretty well.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Thanks @OSUbuckeye906 , @whatmerunning and @mobycarp. I think I will plan to run on Monday and Tuesday this week and see how it goes. I do feel like I want to add a day, but I will be 49 this month and I was not very athletic in my youth. I don't want to injure myself. I have been trying to take it slow and not do too much too soon. I really have missed my run today though. I know lots of people run in the rain, but thunderstorms are a whole other story.

Definitely listen to your body and take increases gradually so you don't get hurt. But don't worry too much about being 49 and never having been athletic. I started running at age 55, and I was the kid who was picked last for everything in phys ed. What you are right now is not influenced as much as you might think by what you were a decade or three ago.