April 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhat - I started running last year at age 47, never having been remotely athletic in my life. I joined a walk to run program and really I've been running 6 days a week almost every week ever since. BUT, those runs started out very short at first, like just 15 minutes a day, and very gradually worked up. Now I run 30-40 minutes base run 5 days/week, group workout one night, and long run is 90 minutes on Saturdays. Which is not high mileage at all, compared to many. I did higher mileage for a while training for my first half marathon and I will work it up again starting in May, but my point is that consecutive days is not a problem even as a newer runner, if you are being careful about how much and how hard you are running across all the days. My coach preaches the gospel of consistency over pace, distance, and everything else. :)

There was this weird thing in the sky today that was bright and got sort of warm! OMG, I think it was the sun! Even though it only got up to the low to mid 50s it was such an improvement that it felt fabulous. I took two hikes with Stella and a nice run on my own.

Date :::: Miles :::: April MTD (goal = 95)
    04/01/17 :::: 7.7 :::: 7.7
    04/02/17 :::: 3.5 :::: 11.2
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    @autumnblade75 awesome job and congratulations on the PR! Pretty sure I saw you in the video :) I did the Shamrock Shuffle last year and had a blast, it's a great race! Sad I couldn't make it this year but unfortunately couldn't fit it into my training schedule or budget :disappointed:
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    To date
    17.05/100 running
    0/200 Cycling (I might not)
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    Thanks @katharmonic.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    4/1 Eagle Mt cleanup: picked up trash with the family for 2 hours, filled 6 trash bags between the 3 of us.
    4/2 13.1 mile run.

Goal: 13.1 of 150

Completed Races:
    Cowtown Marathon (Full) Feb 26 (Registered): 3:54:06 / 8:56 min/mile

Upcoming Races:

The Trail Run at Eagle Mt Park (5 miles) Apr 2 (Registered) CANCELLED
    XTERRA ATX Trail Run (21K) Apr 23 (Tentative)
    Chicago Spring Half Marathon: May 21 (Registered)
    XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run (HM at night) Jul 8 (Tentative)
    La Sportiva Vail Half Marathon: Jul 22 (Tentative)
    Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon: Oct 1 (Tentative)

My 5 mile trail race was cancelled due to lightning. :disappointed: It started storming in the middle of the night and stormed all night. In the morning, the radar looked like it would just be rain, but there was still quite a bit of lightning so the race was cancelled right as I was ready to walk out the door. I really wanted to do the race, but with all the slippery mud, I may have hurt myself. Lol! So, I ran a slow and easy half marathon when the rain let up in the afternoon.

Yesterday, we volunteered for a community clean up. I've always wanted to do one of these, but conflicts would come up. It definitely felt good getting our road sides and park clean. Of course, as I drove by those areas today, I noticed trash again. Ugh!! Why don't people pick up after themselves???
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @HonuNui I'm so sorry to see what you're going through. Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Feeling tired today, so I walked instead of ran.

4/1 6.55 run
    4/2 5.35 walk

And now it's raining.
    You got miles in, that's what matters. Great job!
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Thanks @MNLittleFinn I appreciate that, I still feel very new to the sport some days.

@kgirlhart I don't see any reason to avoid running consecutive days if you've been doing well on 3 days since October, but I always have run consecutive so maybe I'm just a rebel ;)

@ariceroni I love when it clicks! I had a similar experience tonight when the first two or so kilometers of hills my knees were like, "Uhhhhhh do you remember yesterday BECAUSE WE DO!" but by the time I hit the decline they shut up haha

Sorry about your race @BeeerRunner :(

Ran a really short and lazy 7.6 of roads in town because cranky knees. I somehow bruised under my caps? Was a good run though, my knees are a lot better now and I'll be on track to run a normal training distance tomorrow night. So not terrible recovery time but I now know that scheduling white water rafting for two hours post Banff is not as stellar an idea as I thought it was lol

April 1- 42.2
    April 2- 7.6

49.8km/300km
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    http://www.nbcchicago.com/multimedia/shamrock-shuffle-finish-line-10-417895003.html

@autumnblade75 I was on TV! Around 4:15 or so in the video - they call my name, and I go "woo!" Crossing the finish line. I hate that they don't timestamp these clips better, but it was easier to find the first video where more of the bibs were blue (Wave 2) than red (Wave 1) and start watching from there. Next year, I expect to be looking the other direction, from the last clip where mostly red bibs proliferate, towards earlier finishes.

I watched the video and I'm pretty sure I saw you! I'd really like to do the Shamrock Shuffle in Chicago some year. Actually, there's a lot of races I'd like to do in Chicago but money, time, time off work, etc. doesn't always allow...oh, and living closer than a 6 hour drive would help too :)
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    I am very happy to find a supportive group of runners. It is harder to discover than I thought it was. I am currently training for my first ever half marathon, and have a few other races leading up to it. I am mostly doing run/walk intervals. I would gladly accept any advice or input or tips on half marathons that anyone would like to give.
    @hanlonsk Welcome! Awesome that you're working toward your first half marathon. As far as advice, I'm not sure how experience of a runner you are but, on the recommendation from @Stoshew71 , I checked out Runner's World Big Book of Marathon and Half Marathon Training. Now, this wasn't very long ago so I knew most of the information in the book but still felt it was very useful to go through the book and pick up little bits of advice or tips. Now, it's not the be-all and end-all but I think it does a good job at covering the major training topics (especially for beginners). Good luck in your training!

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for April
    4/1 20 miles - 20
    4/2 10 miles - 30

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12 << 1:35:55 2 in AG & 25 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10 << 2:44:41
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18 << 1:41:04 1 in AG & 24 OA
    Kentucky Derby Marathon - 4/29

I'm going on travel tomorrow to Aberdeen MD. So I got my 10 miles in early this evening and will take my rest day tomorrow.

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @hanlonsk Welcome to the group. The RW Big Book that @OSUbuckeye906 mentioned is a good book. My best advise is to build up mileage slowly. Run slow at a conversational pace. No need to get winded. Choose one day as your long run but make sure the long run doesn't make up any more than 35% of your total miles for the week. I have a blog about my running experience including one on training plans.

http://therunningstan.blogspot.com/
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    03/04 - 3.2mile run @ 25.25, followed with 1 mile Interval & Core - very short workout prior to travelling for the week

exercise.png