Options

Replies

• dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    No goal. No mileage goal that is.

Short runs, minimum five days a week. Nothing else.

@girlinahat Just in case you not going back to March, reposting here:
    I reckon we should organise a UK MFP MRC meet up at a colour run. A few obstacles (maybe), a little running, lots of laughs, stupid amount of colour and an indeterminate amount of drinks afterwards.
    i.e. http://thecolorrun.co.uk/events/ or http://www.colorobstaclerush.co.uk/locations--register.html

@iofred @pztodd @RuNaRoUnDaFiEld @Meg_Megz @louubelle16
    May even allow non-MRC (or even non-MFP) friends to join?
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    BAA ANNOUNCES NEW QUALIFYING STANDARDS. In a radical departure from previous procedures, the Boston Athletic Association plans new qualifying standards for its 2018 race. The previous standards that began at 3:05 for men and 3:35 for women (referred to as BQ, for Boston Qualified) no longer will get you a spot on the starting line in Hopkinton. In fact, it will prevent you from entering. In a press conference today, BAA Chief Executive Officer Thom Klirg discussed the new standards: “For this one year only, we’re looking to fill our field with slow runners. We’ve already told the Kenyans to stay home. Only runners with a BU will be admitted to the field.” (BU stands for Boston Unqualified.)

The shift from BQ to BU signals the most radical departure from entry standards since 1996. In that 100th anniversary year, the Boston field was expanded to 36,000 through use of a lottery. But in the past two decades, you needed a BQ to enter the Boston Marathon. Now you need a BU.

“We felt sorry for the Boston Unqualified runners,” claims Race Director Dave McDilbert. “BU runners train just as hard as the faster BQ runners, but they have been cursed genetically. It’s not their fault that they can’t grab a BQ. The BAA Board of Governors decided that for at least this one year, we would allow slow runners to enter the race without having to raise $10,000 or more for charity.”

To gain entry to Boston 2018, you must post a slow time during the 2017 calendar year on a certified course with the finish line time kept running even into the next day if necessary. Fast runners who have achieved a BQ regardless of year will be denied entry. “We plan to examine race times not only for 2017, but also for every year since 1996,” explains the BAA’s Communications Director, Jock Flaming. “Any sign of talent or ability, and you’re out until next year.”

For those with BU (Boston Unqualified) times, registration opens April 1 and continues until the same day next year.

lol
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    I came up slightly short in March but I'm going to pick the same goal of 95 miles for April. Hoping this April won't be the disaster that last April was (lowest running month since I started), with terrible weather and getting really sick. I'm starting off with some travel next week so we'll see how well I'm able to manage keeping on a good running schedule. I did sign up for a 5k while I'm there, but the forecast is looking kind of bad. Hopefully it changes a lot over the next several days.

Upcoming races:
    4/6 5K in Indianapolis, IN
    5/13 Right to Run 19K (maybe? not yet signed up)
    10/1 Wineglass Half Marathon
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @Stoshew71 - you startled me with the first line of your opening post and then it hit me. Whew!! :)
    It is great to see so many new and returning runners! Welcome to April everyone!!

I am in for 120 this month. Work is still crazy and I already have a trip to Atlanta on my schedule. I also have AKC trials most weekends in April, not sure how I will fit in running with those but I will have to figure it out. I have to go for the 120 goal though - I need to be at or over 120/mo to make my yearly goal.

I had some time this afternoon so I spent it updating my last March post and then reading through everything here! It feels so good to catch up with everyone - I have missed you all!
    @RunTimer - Welcome back!
    @kgirlhart - Welcome - definitely a runner (not a jogger!)
    @RespectTheKitty - Happy Runniversary!!
    @moira1968 - Welcome! Love the picture of your puppies - do you run with them?
    @dpwellman - I love the shirt that says 'does this shirt make my butt look fast' - I have seen it at several races. On runners though, not for sale at the expo or I would have one! I agree that Nike missed to boat not making the Running Sucks/Not Running Sucks into one shirt. I would buy that one too :smile: This is why I have SO many running shirts!
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    @shanaber One More Mile sells, or used to sell, the butt look fast.

I also like this one. It's not from a real race, but there are real races with similar titles. 0d79338f-52fd-444a-917b-c38668682885.png
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I started the month with a parkrun PB!!

5 km in 25:42

16 seconds quicker than my previous best!

43BC6C73-36AA-487C-9462-08A1F993FCA5_zpsagjtjd5n.jpg

Well done on the pb! :smile:

I'll pretend not to be upset at not getting the first run of the month in after having not run for a few days - admittedly I probably shoudn't and anothers days rest will be good!
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Hoping to increase a bit this month to 60 km.

exercise.png

• OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I know I haven't been good about checking in lately, but we're already on page 4 and it's not even April 1 yet??

I've got my miles mapped out for April and should be at about 105-110. I considered setting my goal at 90 or 95 in case I miss a few, but there's something that just bugs me about being that closely under 100, so 100 it is. Realistically, my main goal is to remain healthy and uninjured as I rebuild my miles and that will come first before any mileage goal.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Yay April! In for 300 this month, will hope for closer to 400 though since May will have to be lower mileage to taper for best performance at Banff. Running my first little virtual race this month for Earth Day- not gonna lie, mostly because the medal was adorable lol.

Glad to see so many in with strong mileage goals! Welcome to everyone new joining us!

Miles? Holy moly guacamole!
  • ROBOTFOOD
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    Yay April! In for 300 this month, will hope for closer to 400 though since May will have to be lower mileage to taper for best performance at Banff. Running my first little virtual race this month for Earth Day- not gonna lie, mostly because the medal was adorable lol.

Glad to see so many in with strong mileage goals! Welcome to everyone new joining us!

Miles? Holy moly guacamole!

Haha no @ROBOTFOOD , I'm not that good! Kilometers because this Canadian might be able to push for 300 miles on like a spectacularly ridiculous month of amazingness but 400...that is straight @Stoshew71 country ;) . I would like to get my ish together enough to ask my husband for the Iron Horse Ultra 100k registration for Mother's Day though (they're running it the last weekend of September) so I should probably be working harder to get on that level. But Banff in June where I'd like to attempt to BQ and Canadian Death Race (which is highly technical) are my focal points...idk if I am a smart enough runner to pull off IH or the training mileage it would call for.

/endramble

100k, Death Race, BQ...Bada$$! That is awesome! You can do it!! Anything with "Death" in the name is an auto sign up for me! :smiley: