April 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @HonuNui - :cry: All the best thoughts coming your way.

@Elise4270 - It comes back. Just keep at it. I had sputtering starts beginning in January this year (flu interrupted) and February. It was seriously getting me down that I could not get more than about a quarter mile without feeling really winded, and that I felt the best I could do was maybe a mile or so. Stuff was pretty chaotic in terms of getting back to regular running, and even when I did get back into some sort of groove just a mile seemed forever and the "suck fest" my lungs were doing trying to do those short little distances. I hated being passed by every other runner and wondering if I could even catch up to those damn walkers in front of me (how do they walk so fast?). All I know is that at some point, it all added up to some regular running (even if short) and then after some time doing that all of the sudden my cardio started opening back up. It has kept building pretty quickly in the past few weeks. I suspect you will find a similar thing happening with how much mileage you were cranking out last year. :wink: All I know is that the first couple months were tough to get into a regular running schedule and after that it took a few weeks to get the fitness back up to outweigh the fatigue each run was piling on. It's getting over that hump that really sucks.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Oh, @HonuNui I am so very sorry. My heart just breaks for you.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: April MTD (goal = 95)
    04/01/17 :::: 7.7 :::: 7.7
    04/02/17 :::: 3.5 :::: 11.2
    04/03/17 :::: 2.5 :::: 13.7

Bit of a slog today but got a run in when I thought I might not, so calling it a positive. Tomorrow is a travel day to Indianapolis so no time for a run. And then the forecast for most of the days I'm there looks like crap. Thunderstorms and then snow. Snow! What the heck, midwest?
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    http://wildduluthraces.blogspot.com/

I'm VERY intrigued, as it lines up well with my school year and is at a decent time to use my September Marathon as a training run.....but there will be NO deciding of anything until at least a week after my June Marathon.... I blame @WhatMeRunning for my even thinking about this.......and a coworker of mine for saying he'd crew for me running the 50k...... Everyone is an enabler!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - As long as you make it through your June marathon, something tells me things might go like this.

Day of marathon: Never again. Half marys only from now on. Will probably downgrade that damn fool September full marathon I signed up for. Those 50k people are stupid.

Day after marathon: I can't wait for my September full!

Not too much later: 50k here I come!!

I have a feeling it might go exactly like that.....is it bad that there's a training plan that, if I go for the 50k, happens to have a 26 mile run that would fall on the day of marathon number 2?
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - As long as you make it through your June marathon, something tells me things might go like this.

Day of marathon: Never again. Half marys only from now on. Will probably downgrade that damn fool September full marathon I signed up for. Those 50k people are stupid.

I have a feeling it might go exactly like that.....is it bad that there's a training plan that, if I go for the 50k, happens to have a 26 mile run that would fall on the day of marathon number 2?
    Bad?? No, more like a sign. :naughty:
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

Bad?? No, more like a sign. :naughty:

This is the reason I'm waiting until AFTER my first marathon to decide. The urge to just go for it is very great, and I don't want to jump the gun on it....Though the ultra is in the am part of the state as my first marathon, just in the hill country instead of the flats.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »
    Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers. He passed at 10am today. Wear your damned sunblock.

Oh no. My heart goes out to you @HonuNui
    I am so very sorry.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,017 Member
    Options
    4/3/17. 3.8 miles. It was really nice today after the thunderstorms yesterday but already getting into the 80's so it was pretty warm, but I like warm better than cold.
    exercise.png

@honunui I hate to hear that. You have my sympathies.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,408 Member
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »
    Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers. He passed at 10am today. Wear your damned sunblock.

@honunui - My heart is breaking for you :'( I am so very sorry! {{Hugs}}
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Today is a cross-training day, so no running but I did get in some PT exercises and 44 minutes of elliptical intervals while watching Netflix.

@lporter229 Great to hear that your last long run was a success. Hope April 17 goes smoothly for you!

@7lenny7 As always, great pics! And the claws on that turtle :o

@KatieJane83 Looks like a beautiful place to run!

@HonuNui So very, very sorry to hear the news. Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @HonuNui I am so so sorry for your loss.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    LuxeBabe wrote: »
    Hello everyone. I'm new here.
    Hoping to get support and be inspired as I prepare for my first half marathon. I've done a couple 5K races and usually run 3miles everyday. I'm excited to be a part of this group.

Welcome!
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    @HonuNui - You and your family are in my prayers. And as someone who has chosen an exercise- and life-style that lends itself to LOTS of outdoors-ness, I take your instruction to heart, and definitely keep sunblock in my run kit (and use it!).
  • tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    4/1-6.05
    4/2-rest
    4/3-3.45

exercise.png
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @HonuNui I'm so sorry :'(
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss @HonuNui . My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. :'(