April 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @angmarie28 - Long distance running doesn't require a pre-run energy boost of any sort, it's just not how the muscles work. In any running you are depleting your muscle glycogen, but for long distance running you want that store of glycogen to last as long as possible. So this running needs to be done in an aerobic state so as to burn primarily fat from your body as fuel (as well as lactate produced in your muscles from running). Training your body to do this with a long distance training plan adapts your muscles and everything else to adjust to such a state. Believe it or not, the purpose of gels and all that is NOT to power your muscles at all, and your muscles are not really even going to use them. What the gels and stuff does is keep you blood sugar levels high enough to feed your brain. Your brain only runs on glucose, it will not run on fat. Your muscles are different though and can run on fat without needing glucose from your blood sugar. Those gel packs only have about 100 calories, so it is pretty obvious they are not feeding the muscles which will be burning a lot more than 100 calories during that time! :smile:

Are you so fatigued ahead of your Saturday morning runs that you can't run without something perking you up? I am suspecting not, but if so then that is a WHOLE other story. Assuming you COULD run, you should alternate between fasted and non-fasted runs. There is data out there supporting this. The idea is to have your muscles program themselves to run more on fat than glycogen, meaning your glycogen stores last longer, and you can go further. The reason for alternating between fasted and non-fasted runs is that there is data out there showing that those who always run in a fasted state show the same level of adaptation to fat-burning as those who always run in a non-fasted state. But those who alternate make this adaptation faster. I don't know why, but as I said, there is data out there supporting this. By fasted run, this means starting out in a fasted state. It doesn't mean not taking anything at all during the run if it's a long run.

You should take something to refuel for long runs. Think of long runs by time, not distance. I find I don't need fuel for any run less than 2 hours, but any run over that and I need to plan ahead. Some fuel every 45 minutes, I fuel closer to every hour. About 100 calories of sugar is what you are looking for, but the gels and stuff like that also add in electrolytes, because they have electrolytes and stuff (sorry for the Idiocracy reference). Just find what settles well, is easy to carry, and tastes good.

Yikes, that's a lot, didn't mean to make a long post. Hope this helps!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @ariceroni Glad to hear the metronome worked for you! I guess I shouldn't complain as my cadence was still hanging out around 170. But I can tell that a run that feels rough and jarring will show "green" cadence on Garmin whereas I used to start out blue and then spend a lot of time in the purple range. So I'm just trying to avoid green. LOL

I'm always curious about my stride length too and can never find any concrete information on what is normal or good or bad. My average stride is .85m and I have to really start sprinting to get it up to 1.0m. I often feel like my hips are conspiring against my legs to keep me at a shuffle.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Barkley Marathons update!! John Kelly finished in 59:30. Gary Robbins missed the 60 hour cutoff by 6 seconds!! :'( How heartbreaking for him!
    http://runningmagazine.ca/2017-barkley-marathons-recap/

That's not actually the case. He missed the last two miles of the course because he took a wrong turn. He touched the gate 6 seconds after the cutoff, but that's immaterial because even had he touched it 7 seconds earlier, he still would have had a DNF.

He didn't miss by 6 seconds, he missed by 2 miles. None of this, of course, takes away from the fact that he ran one hell of a race, is a total beast of a runner, and a class act.

Yes, I just read that today, but yesterday when I posted this, they didn't report that he was off by 2 miles. Either way, it definitely one helluva race!! I couldn't even complete the "fun run." I'd also need someone to create a map for me!! I was like...you gotta run "100" but probably really 130 miles and make a map off of a master? Eek!!
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @ariceroni I don't have any recommendations for spray (I'm pale kid level 10 thanks to Badger brand children's sunblock though lol) personally but I've heard good things about Ombrelle. Good on you for realizing how important a good SPF is! (P.S. Barkley is my probably won't happen in a million lifetimes goal as well- a woman has never finished afterall ;) )

@MNLittleFinn Keep us posted on what you decide! The HM I run the week after Banff is technically my distance training run against CDR- races can be good training runs

@7lenny7 yeah I kind of hate that Canadian Running Magazine ran with "he only missed by 6 seconds" before Laz explained the DQ because it confused the issue a lot. Robbins is coming back hungry next year though, I bet on him being the first Canadian finisher in 2018.

So does everyone else play "Where did this bruise come from?" every morning? I'm assuming they are from the weekend? I can't even feel the blister on my foot but I know it's because the Kinvara are too neutral for me and I'm turning into the toe. Effffff, wtf do I do about that? The store in town is unlikely to let me return given I ran up on the owner yesterday lol

l9azy17enwyv.jpg
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @angmarie28 - Going from 5 miles to a full marathon is a huge jump in distance. The game changes between 10K and a half marathon, and it changes again between a half marathon and a full marathon. Assuming you're committed to the marathon in September, I'd recommend training up to and running a half marathon by June, just to learn how to run longer distances and manage stuff like hydration and nutrition. No, I don't have canned answers for you on what's best; different runners find different strategies that work well for them.

Best of luck, and don't get discouraged if it turns out that you don't have enough time between now and September to turn yourself into a marathon runner. You're already doing more than most Americans can just by running 5 miles.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    April Running Totals (miles)
    4/1 – 18.19 paced run
    4/2 – 3.90 easy 30 minutes
    4/3 – rest day
    4/4 – 10.75 tempo intervals

April total to date – 32.84

Nominal Challenge Goal – 150 miles
    Real Goals: Run Boston. Finish healthy. Recover well.

Today's notes – Today was the last long tempo interval workout before Boston. The assignment was 2 miles at E, 3 x (2 miles at T with 2 minutes recovery), 2 miles at E. My target pace for E is anywhere between 7:45 and 8:15 per mile, and target for T is 6:30 per mile. Recovery is whatever feels like I'm recovering, usually a little slower than E.

Got great weather yesterday for my rest day. Today's forecast had rain mid-day and strong winds in the afternoon and evening. Bearing that in mind, and wanting to do a non-running event this evening, I got out to run at 9:44 this morning. Temp was 55º F (13º C), with a modest 7 mph SSW wind that strengthened as I ran. I did get to run through a light shower starting about a mile in, but that cleared up before I'd gone another mile. I've found it convenient to run these tempo intervals around RIT campus, which is mostly flat with one small hill. I managed to plan things to hit the uphill on my first recovery interval, then I reversed direction after the second T interval so I didn't need to hit the hill a second time.

I did pretty well against target paces:
    2 miles E, 8:04 and 7:51
    2 miles T, 6:26 and 6:23
    2 minutes recovery, 0.24 mile
    2 miles T, 6:18 and 6:17
    2 minutes recovery, 0.25 mile
    2 miles T, 6:26 and 6:32 (yes, I was getting tired)
    2 minutes recovery, 0.25 mile
    2 miles E, 7:54 and 7:51
    with a meaningless tag of 0.01 mile stopping the Garmin

During the last E interval, I felt like I was really dogging it. Looked at my watch, and it reported a 7:45 current pace at that time. Part of the point of this workout is to experience those tired legs in the last E interval. That's what late miles in a marathon will feel like, and if I can run the late miles faster than 8:00 I'm in good shape.

There are no more "tired legs" workouts left on my training schedule. The 12 miles I'll run Saturday won't be as hard as today's workout, and everything else I have left before Boston will be single digit mileage days. But at least today's workout will hold the taper crazies at bay for a while.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) short course, finished 4.88 miles in 32:50
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship Masters 8K (Bend, OR) Finished in 35:39, team won the 60+ Men's cross country championship
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) sat out due to training schedule
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) short course, finished 4.34 miles in 27:51
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 33:25
    March 18, 2017 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 30:59, PR for 8K
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)

• angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,804 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning -thank you for the advice, i know it wont fuel my muscles, but i need something to wake me up, I work m-f days and friday and saturday graveyards at the moment, this just started and its only for 2 months, then my m-f job is done for the summer. caffeine doesnt do much for waking me up and feeling energized (i sleep better after drinking a cup of coffee at night), so im wanting something to just get my brain in the game, it may not be such a problem as im just starting this 2nd job, but want to be prepared in the case i need a boost.

@MobyCarp - I know its a huge jump, I can run 7+ miles, but trying to pace myself to avoid injury. this last sunday should have been a 6 or 7 miler, but i was pretty ill, so it was a crappy 3.3 miles. ive been working on my runs for 5 weeks now, and i know i may not be able to actually do the marathon, Im dedicated 100% to the half, but shooting for the full, which is why im not registered yet, definitely not going to jump head first into it and get hurt, so I ill see where im at in June/July, and if im not seeing enough progress, im not going to do the full.

thank you for all the advise everyone. Im really excited for the marathon (even if i only end up doing the half) I wish i realized sooner how much better i felt running out doors, its really helped me get through some mental struggles ive been having troubles with, and making me an overall better more positive person.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @KatieJane83 congrats on the marathon registration, very exciting!! Nothing like 26.2 miles looming in the future to motivate you to get out and run. I enjoy seeing everyone's running photos as well. That trail along the calm waters is just begging me to run it, lol!
    @HonuNui so very, very sorry to hear of your loss. I can't even imagine what it's like for you and your family.
    @ROBOTFOOD you had me with that 30 mile run.
    @patrikc333 I love the photo!
    @skippygirlsmom kudos to Skip!! She'll get the 3200 PR next time for sure.
    @OSUbuckeye906 there's something to be said for running by feel and if your body felt it could run faster Sunday, then you did it right. Those snapping turtles are deceptively quick, at least with their heads. We used to catch them quite often when we were kids. One time a friend wasn't careful and lost a nice sized bit of his elbow. The one is the picture is about 12 to 14 inches across the shell.
    @kgirlhat I started running at 48 years old and 50 pounds overweight.
    @autumnblade75 I love your "woo!" in the vid! congrats!
    @KeepRunningFatboy you made the jumbotron!
    @ariceroni For one thing I only take pictures of the most scenic parts, and then only post those which turn out well. That run on Sunday was mostly dull, drab turf trails. I should have taken a picture of that to show the extremes. But we are fortunate to have some very scenic trails around here, both paved & unpaved, urban, suburban, and rural. Still, there are many other places around I'd much rather run, and most of those areas involve mountains like @juliet3455, beaches like @shanaber, or different countries like @_nikkiwolf_ . The grass is always greener, right?
    @WhatMeRunning you're starting to think of 50k eh? Nice!!!
    @MNLittleFinn I hear those Wild Duluth races are pretty good. If it wasn't being held on MEA weekend (which is when I take my son deer hunting), I'd sign up for the 50k, though it's unlikely I'd specifically train for it. BTW, I hear the earlier you sign up the better your chances are for a PR, so you better get on that ASAP! Register now, think later. Like @JessicaMcB says, if you can do a full, you can do a 50K. By the time it gets close you can find a 50 miler to sign up for and use that 50K as a training run.
    @shanaber, nice job going after that hill! Hills are to be embraced, not avoided!
    @Bakins929 free runs...I highly recommend those for everyone! When I do that i will bring my GPS watch just to track my distance, but I cover it up and just run however fast and wherever the mood strikes me, letting my brain's alpha waves take over.
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hi all

Aim: 130k

4/2: 13.1k -casual run-
    4/3: 1.5k -cause I am lazy, that's why-
    4/4: 4k -as c/d of leg day training-

18.6/130k

Stay free of injuries!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - The 50k is just talk right now. :smile: It is pretty far off (October 28) and I have nowhere near the mileage currently, so a LOT can change between now and then. But if I can get my mileage up in real life the way the plan on paper shows, then it can definitely be done. :sunglasses: I signed up for a 50k last year but just a day or two after registering I wound up injured. So go figure I start thinking about a 50k already. :mrgreen:
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB @7lenny7 @WhatMeRunning You all are evil.... I am so close to just doing it and saying that I'll just take a little time off after my June Marathon and start training for the 50k and use the September Marathon as a training run. I'm fairly certain I can do it, only thing holding me back is that I haven't run a full yet......
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Haha you're gonna do it @MNLittleFinn, I know it! Now someone help me figure out how to sell my husband on solo registration for this being a Mother's day gift lol. The FAQ is killing me, "What is the terrain like? Well its rocky and mountainous because it's in the Rocky Mountains..."

http://www.sinister7.com/

My June marathon is on our 10th anniversary, so I kind of know about convincing spouses of getting races for gifts....LOL....just kidding, I was going to run a half and she said go big or go home. My wife is awesome.

Just tell your husband that it's a "once in a life time" run....we're simple beings that fall for that stuff.
  • JohnRoderick
    JohnRoderick Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    https://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wtQKG2Y/exercise.png

Another 4.3mi today after a lazy Sunday/Monday so 8.5mi so far. I hope I posted the ticker properly.

Hi @JessicaMcB my sister runs that race every year and loves it! Her husband is not cool with it either lol, especially last year she ran the midnight leg and even I was uneasy with it
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - You know, you COULD just do your first full 26.2 DURING your first 50k! :lol:

Ha! First 26.2 is in 11 weeks and already paid for
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Haha @WhatMeRunning knows where it's at!
    https://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wtQKG2Y/exercise.png

Another 4.3mi today after a lazy Sunday/Monday so 8.5mi so far. I hope I posted the ticker properly.

Hi @JessicaMcB my sister runs that race every year and loves it! Her husband is not cool with it either lol, especially last year she ran the midnight leg and even I was uneasy with it

Haha my husband doesn't even fully "get" trail running. I swear he imagines me running on a lovely paved path in the middle of nowhere or something. When I came home with my shins torn up and bleeding a few weekends ago (high kneeing it through a lot of snow full of dead briars in Wilmore Park if you are familiar with central AB) he actually said, "So wait, you're just running through the woods?" The bears and yotes and racing through the night would likely not make him happy either lol

Does your sister solo it or run in team? I know one other person who has run Sinister but she hasn't soloed.