• _RNR_
    _RNR_ Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I'll just leave this here.

64f8585b3145d38f3838dd0d0858d74c.jpg
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    If I were to move to Texas it would probably be to Austin. Definitely NOT Huston. I have to drive through it to get to Galveston for our cruises and want to bang my head against the wall every time. If you don't like humidity and your fav seasons are fall and winter....I'm not sure you're making a wise choice. If you are a rancher then the panhandle would be your best bet.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »

Mexican food is awful.

All produce comes from CA.

tumblr_ly9ehwdx3L1r2l35s.jpg

• angievaughn
    angievaughn Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    DonM46 wrote: »
    Lived here all my life.
    Houston is humid & has lots of traffic. Great entertainment center.
    Dallas is less humid, but still higher than I like. Horrible traffic. Entertainment opportunities abound.
    San Antonio has narrow downtown streets, but the Riverwalk is fantastic for food, drink, dancing.
    Austin is a mecca for liberalism and high-tech. Sixth Street can't be beat for partying. Avoid I-35 at all costs! Nude swimming at Hippie Hollow. Has probably the highest cost of living in the state.
    East Texas has trees; west Texas has hardly any.
    Great beaches on Padre Island and Corpus Christi.
    The Panhandle can get pretty cold in the winter; while the Rio Grande Valley hardly has a winter.
    Good barbecue is available everywhere as is Tex-Mex.
    Unemployment varies widely by region as does crime, but both are below the national average, mostly WELL below.
    The far west has mountains, but the remainder is comparatively flat.
    The Hill Country, just south & west of the center of the state, has rolling hills with a tremendous display of wildflowers every spring.
    Casual dress is acceptable almost everywhere all the time.
    Keep your vehicle in good repair because a trip to any of the locations mentioned will take a while. For example, it's about a 7-hr drive from my house to El Paso, 3 to Dallas, 4 to San Antonio, 6 to Houston.
    Gasoline is almost always below the national average cost.
    With a few exceptions, most people are friendlier than elsewhere. Especially as you move west of Fort Worth.

I think he has covered it best!! I have live in Texas as well and this is the best overview!! Good luck on whatever decision you make. I think you can find the good, bad and ugly any where you go. I think you make it what you want it to be.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Austin is the most liberal and diverse. Gulf Coast (Port Arthur) has the best beaches / wildlife refuges. If you have the money or looking to marry money -- Lake Conroe is quite the scene.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Chadxx wrote: »
    ipunkrock2 wrote: »
    Just moved to Texas from California. It's really not that great here. And I miss California's Mexican food. :(

This all depends on where you are and if you know where to go. There is no shortage of Mexican food in Texas and plenty of places where you can't even order unless you speak at least some Spanish. "No lechuga y no seboya" is a very handy phrase.

And "Una mas cerveza" for all occasions.