Treadmill vs. walking outside

Options

Replies

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I use a treadmill. What I like about it:
    1. It is cushioned. I can run for far longer stints than I can outside.
    2. I'm protected from the weather
    3. I can catch up with TV shows via Netflix and Hulu. Holy sweet mother do I LOVE Breaking Bad.
    4. No bugs.

Yep. I HATE bugs.

But they provide handy extra protein while out running :smile:
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I love to go outside for a good power walk but in bad weather the treadmill keeps me moving. There is a place for both.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    If you use a treadmill with adjustable incline, walking on a treadmill can be just as effective as walking an uneven terrain outside. Treadmills are great for days when the weather doesn't permit outdoor cardio, but outdoor walks are way more enjoyable.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    The street is far better. I will explain. On the treadmill you are only going in one motion, since the treadmill is automatically moving . Compared to the street, not only you going in one motion but in order for you to propel yourself forward you need a force. Alter the force to produce speed etc. That itself is a big difference, plus the uneven roads, incline, decline of the roads, surface of the road which plays a vital part. Not to forget the wind that hits your face makes it harder to breath.

A 30 mins on a treadmill may be easy, compared to 15mins on the street which may pose to be a challenge. If the weather is good, I recommend you to run outside.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    kaizaku wrote: »
    The street is far better. I will explain. On the treadmill you are only going in one motion, since the treadmill is automatically moving . Compared to the street, not only you going in one motion but in order for you to propel yourself forward you need a force. Alter the force to produce speed etc. That itself is a big difference, plus the uneven roads, incline, decline of the roads, surface of the road which plays a vital part. Not to forget the wind that hits your face makes it harder to breath.

A 30 mins on a treadmill may be easy, compared to 15mins on the street which may pose to be a challenge. If the weather is good, I recommend you to run outside.

If someone finds their treadmill run is too easy for their taste, they can always adjust the speed. As much as I prefer to run outside, I've had some really challenging runs on the treadmill.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    saundts wrote: »
    I was curious, what is better, walking/running on the treadmill or going out on the street to walk/run?

It's about what works best for you. I run outside, but I so most of it on the treadmill.

Yesterday when running, while I had the right-of-way in two crosswalks at intersection lights, two drivers in two different areas ran red lights right in front of me. I gave one lady a dirty look and she laughed. Some dude had his cell phone to his ear and didn't even see me.

I think I'm back to the treadmill now.

Really, it's all about what works for you. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    allisonl6 wrote: »
    I really like to run barefoot, so the treadmill is a safer option for me lol. I'm also very introverted so I have to push harder to convince myself to go outside where the people are. I find I run more when I can be alone in my space.

Seriously? You run barefoot on a treadmill? That is not safe.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill and I live next to a national forest access where winters can be brutal. I use the treadmill for days when it is absolutely too nasty to go outside, sub zero or raining buckets. This winter I used it 2 times, that's how much I dislike the treadmill. My dog doesn't like it much either.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Personally I would find a track or go outside...
    Running excessively on either sidewalks or treadmill surfaces however will eventually cause injury

And even on a track if you are putting in a lot of time, you should switch up your direction because running in one direction can mess with your form. Same thing on roads/sidewalks, if they are canted you want to make sure you switch it up some.

I'm another vote for trails!! Followed by outdoors in general, treadmills as a last resort.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I really like to run barefoot, so the treadmill is a safer option for me lol. I'm also very introverted so I have to push harder to convince myself to go outside where the people are. I find I run more when I can be alone in my space.

Why is that?
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I would get so bored on a treadmill! I am doing c25k on our hilly country road at 5am every other day. I love the challenge and variety of the varying terrain and weather. So beautiful outside in the pre-dawn hours!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I find the treadmill excruciatingly boring. I like trails in the woods. There's a state park with extensive trails 10 minutes away and another network of trails behind my house. I manage winter weather by bundling up. When the trails are muddy I wear my waterproof boots and focus on trail maintenance - trimming the sides of parts of trails that get flooded or battling briar patches. No one has worked in the trails out back in years and there is lots to do there.

I went snowshoeing for the first time this winter and loved it. I "borrowed" the snowshoes from my mom who had received them as a gift from someone who paid $5 for them at a yard sale. They are the old wooden ones so not great for distance but since I use them to burn calories they are perfect. 38 minutes on these snowshoes is way harder than 75 minutes of walking on rugged terrain.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I walk for pleasure. Or to get somewhere. Walking mindlessly on a treadmill would never occur to me. I used it at the beginning stages of c25k, now I just run whatever the weather (I'm in the UK so we don't have extremes, but we have plenty of wet).

Walking for me mostly is about exploring the landscape - seeking out ancient archaeology, visiting magnificent natural features. But it's also about enjoying the air - and this is one thing a lot of people forget, that being OUTSIDE is one of the best things we can do for our health.

So to me, there is no argument - outside, never treadmill. I'd choose another activity if the outside was that bad.
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I personally like doing both. I don't mind treadmills as long as I put a towel over the display.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Why is that?

Curious as well? I've broken plenty of bones running with shoes on.

I don't care for the DREADmill. But it's the lessor of two evils, for me, when compared to other cardio machines. I prefer running outside. Feels better on my body. You use more/different muscles running outside since your pushing for power vs moving to keep up. Your ankles will be a lot stronger from having to navigate uneven terrain.

Sadly, I'll be on the treadmill for my 5 mile run tomorrow. Snow/mix here in Chicago. Nope.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I'd rather be outside.
    But on my treadmill, in my basement -- the risk of anyone else saying anything about what the motion of exercise is doing to my D-cups or acting on that observation in crude or dangerous ways is nonexistent.
    People suck.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    It's up to you. Outside, you can vary your scenery (walk different routes) but will not have maximum control over how fast you go or your inclines. Inside, you stare at the same stuff all the time (or you can watch TV) but have better control over your speed and incline.

It depends on what you're looking for. Personally, as I live in a city, walking outside is annoying. Lots of cars and loud noises. Not to mention I can't really walk half the year with winter (and people who don't clean their sidewalks). I love walking on my treadmill.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    There are pros and cons to both. If the weather is bad or if the outdoors is too dangerous for any reason, walking on a treadmill can help you get your steps in. On the other hand, outdoor or trail walking uses more and different muscles and you get the benefits of fresh air, sunshine, and outdoor sights and sounds. The treadmill can also track and count, but many of us wear fitness bands anyway.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I only use the treadmill in winter when the weather is way too bad for me to run outside. Besides the boring hamster feeling I have on the treadmill, I hate the way I feel mentally and also I run slower on it.

I started running outside and prefer to run outside, since I have specific running goals. the treadmill is the last place I want to training to be a better runner. I also love running in various weather conditions, inside does not give me any challenging elements to add into my running.