PCOS - Low Glycemic Load Ideas

Options

Replies

• Shoebacha1
    Shoebacha1 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    On a positive note. I AM diagnosed with PCOS and have been fighting it naturally with low GI diet. I started January 3rd at 218 pounds. I am down to 204 as of yesterday, going 3 weeks between lip waxings instead of 2, no more 2p slump fighting to stay awake, joints no longer hurt (this was long before the weight loss, low acidic diet helped feel a difference within the first week), have firm PREDICTABLE poos, and my mood swings have drastically decreased. I am not even being super strict. I still have days where my choices are not the best, and I do not work myself into the ground working out. I hope this thread helps some of you. I will be more committed to posting, sharing knowledge and recipes and motivation.
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    Please feel free to add me as a friend. My food diary is open to the public. Again, I am not perfect. Maybe some of my meals will help you stay creative and motivated.
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    Having PCOS increases the likelihood that further medical problems will develop over time. These include type 2 diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, fatty liver and cancer of the uterus. We also know that serious sleep disorders and depression are much more common in women with PCOS. Alarmingly, women with PCOS who do get pregnant stand a 40% chance of spontaneous miscarriage in the first three months of pregnancy. There is also an increased risk of gestational diabetes, multiple pregnancies and in later pregnancy, preeclampsia (A serious complication of late pregnancy that requires immediate medical attention.)
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    Insulin resistance is a condition in which the body "resists" the normal actions of the hormone insulin. The body's response to insulin is defective, causing the body to secrete more insulin than normal. The vast majority of women wit PCOS have severe insulin resistance and therefore very high insulin levels. (mine were 5 times what they should be after fasting).
    Being overweight or obese increases the degree of insulin resistance.
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    Whenever we eat, glucose and insulin levels in the blood rise and fall over the next few hours. Insulin drives the transport of glucose (from digested carbohydrates) and amino acids (the building blocks of protein) into our cells, as well as the storage of glucose in the liver and our muscles. Insulin can also suppress the use of fat a s a source of fuel and the capacity of the liver to make new glucose molecules. Think of insulin as a facilitator of energy storage.
    Beyond these roles in metabolism, insulin is important for optimal functioning of many other hormones and enzymes. While insulin has many functions, carbohydrates metabolism is the only one that is affected by insulin resistance.
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    I have tried it and it is good. It is in a power blend I eat on wraps all the time. It is considered a super food! I can see why.
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    Like a lock and key mechanism, most body cells have special receptors for insulin Once the lock is engaged, insulin attaches itself to the receptor. The gates open, allowing glucose to flow into the cell. The higher the concentration of insulin receptors, the more insulin sensitive you are. If you are insulin resistant, such as PCOS, your cells are compromised and lower in number causing your pancreas to secrete more insulin, working extra hard. The pancreas has a limited capacity to do this before it's own cells burn out and cant supply enough insulin to meet demand, leading to prediabetes or the full-blown diabetic state.
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    The receptors for insulin in the ovary are different from those in other tissues, in that when blood insulin levels are high, the ovary does not turn down insulin receptor numbers or reduce their activity. The action of insulin continues unabated in ovarian tissues, causing the cells to grow and multiply and increasing their metabolic activity. This causes excessive production of both testosterone and estrogen sex hormones. Excessive stimulation of the ovary overwhelms it and prevents it from converting testosterone into estrogen like normal, causing abnormal testosterone levels in the blood. This is what brings out the male characteristics in PCOS positive women, such as facial and dark body hair, male pattern hair loss, deepening of voice, weight gain in belly...etc.
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    Excess insulin and sex hormones work together to stimulate the hypothalamus in your brain, making it pulse more frequently than normal. This induces the pituitary gland causing increased secretion of luteinizing hormone that stimulates the ovary's hormone production even more. This vicious cycle reduces the level of the protein that binds testosterone in the blood. This makes this active hormone more available to your tissues. Testosterone is an anabolic hormone because it is involved in building up new tissues, especially muscles. That is why men tend to have more muscle mass than women, and why PCOS women have masculine features.
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    Had cabbage steaks for dinner they were amazing. Took a head of cabbage, cut it in 1/2 inch slices, coated the skillet with olive oil no stick spray, fried each side till nice brown. Put shredded taco cheese, salt and carraway seed on each side and fried til cheese was toasted. Delicious.
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    Fat cells and their precursor cells in different parts of the human body are not all the same. Those around the midriff and inside the tummy are particularly sensitive to the effects of insulin compared to the rest of the body. Insulin's inhibition of release of fat as a source of fuel is what causes PCOS women to accumulate fat around the belly area.
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    The cornerstone of managing PCOS is lifestyle modification wit a healthy low GI diet and exercise. These changes need to be initiated right from the start, even before the use of insulin-sensitizing drugs.
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    If you have PCOS, your body has a hard time bringing blood glucose levels down after eating. The organs and tissues that should respond to even a small rise in insulin remain unresponsive, causing the body to try harder by secreting more insulin. This is why ANY insulin sensitivity improvement is beneficial, including drugs and weight loss. Research in women with PCOS showed that even if everything else in your diet stays the same, a diet based on low GI breads and cereals improved insulin levels and regulated menstrual cycles, as well as greater weight loss than a traditional low fat diet.
  • 1991lexi
    1991lexi Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Anyone on here also given up dairy? I've heard it can be helpful...but really think I'd struggle to get anywhere near my calories without it...i often have to use custard to top up...and based on how I've felt since giving up the high GI carbs and generally cutting my carbs right down I'm not sure where I'd get the calories from...I'm already terrified that I'm going to really struggle when I go back to maintaining after I finally kick the weight! I mentioned to my OH earlier and his reaction is "what WOULD you be able to eat??" I'm thinking if I do go for it I'd have to go step by step this time...like quit all but cheese and natural yoghurt first...then take out the next item etc...unfortunately most substitutes are too expensive for me on my current salary.
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    Everything I have ready says dairy is a necessity, and they suggest to go whole and not skim. Dairy is very beneficial and yogurt and cheese are highly recommended. They are low GI and are healthy fats. Where did you hear that giving up dairy could be helpful? That is the first time I heard this, but I still have 4 books I have not finished. Might be a new development?
  • weirdingwayward
    weirdingwayward Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Shoebacha1 wrote: »
    Yes, it is a real disease. Google it. I have over 30 books on it. I have been diagnosed by two different doctors. There is even a variation to the disease that affects men.

So interesting! I was diagnosed with PCOS five years ago, and it's a journey, for sure.

What's the masculine equivalent?
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    They havent really given it a name in what I read, only that the same hormone issue happens in men. The guys with the big gut, but thin everywhere else are a tall tale sign. Belly fat is the last place PCOS'ers and men with the hormone issue lose weight because your body stores everything. Now I know I got this from my dad. He was just diagnosed with diabetes last year because his was left untreated.
  • AniaKlaudia
    AniaKlaudia Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

PCOS is a b$@#!, but I find that having yummy desert options helps resist those terrible terrible urges to binge, and of course it helps when they're made from things that will help keep your mental state happy :)

Don't let PCOS take over :)

This is my favourite thing to make lately! It's incredible how easy, delicious, and macro friendly it is!

In a food processor (or blender) blend:
    2 large sweet potatoes
    1 cup fat free greek yogurt

Once smooth, add:
    4 scoops chocolate protein powder
    1 scoop dark cocoa powder
    1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil

Blend till smooth and mixed completely.

Spread 1/2 the mix into a large baking tray lined with wax paper (the mix should be about 1 inch thick).
    Spread the other 1/2 of the mix into another tray, and cover it with cellophane wrap.

Brownies should bake for about 20 min at 180C / 350F, but depends on the thickness of your mix, so check on it every few min after the 18 min mark.

When finished baking, take out and let cool outside of the baking tray. Only cut when room temperature (will still be too soft to cut when hot).

Cut into 2 inch squares, and layer with the chocolate ganache (that was cooling in the fridge).

Enjoy!

B) Feel free to add me as a friend! <3 I love motivating others and helping them succeed . :smiley:
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    This sounds fantastic! I cant wait to try it. Thanks!
  • Hobbesfan89
    Hobbesfan89 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So glad to see a PCOS thread. If no one has, try reading dr Glenville PCOS book. Gives advice on everything from exercises best for PCOS to supplements that are best of you don't want to take the medication route to diet and explaining why our bodies work the way they do.

I now know why I get hungry more often than most people, why I'm always so bloody tired, and why I constantly have carb and sugar cravings.

Really great read.

I would really like to not have to use Metformin as the older I have become the worse the side effects get when I start taking it again so then I stop because I can't take feeling so ill. Thanks for this thread. Going to check out the recipes and things :D