Abs by June 1st?!?

Options
2»

Replies

• rollerjog
    rollerjog Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i would say go get a hydrostatic or dexa body fat test then you will really know were what body fat % is , then you will have real data to work with
  • fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Decrease carbs, increase fat, keep protein moderate and stick to multi joint lifts on a regular schedule.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    rollerjog wrote: »
    i would say go get a hydrostatic or dexa body fat test then you will really know were what body fat % is , then you will have real data to work with

Knowing his bodyfat won't make the process any different. He is above 20% so has at least 12-16 weeks of dieting to make noticeable progress towards his goal.
    fjmartini wrote: »
    Decrease carbs, increase fat, keep protein moderate and stick to multi joint lifts on a regular schedule.

There is no need to reduce carbs, increase fat or do multi joint lifts.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options

Knowing his bodyfat won't make the process any different. He is above 20% so has at least 12-16 weeks of dieting to make noticeable progress towards his goal.

The compound lifts would benefit the OP. But carbs vs fats is individualistic. But carbs > fats for muscle building.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    In a couple of months...nope. When you lose fat, you're going to lose fat from all over...and for males, the belly area is typically primary fat stores and the last to go...for visible abs, you have to be at a pretty low BF%. Having visible 6 pack abs is not easy task and will require quite a bit of commitment to nutrition and your training...it's not really a two month proposition.
  • mnolan1230
    mnolan1230 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

So I'm definitely not gonna get abs, I'm just trying to look decent by then what are your thoughts?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    mnolan1230 wrote: »

So I'm definitely not gonna get abs, I'm just trying to look decent by then what are your thoughts?

Moderate deficit, adequate protein and follow a progressive overload lifting program.
  • mnolan1230
    mnolan1230 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Moderate deficit, adequate protein and follow a progressive overload lifting program.

Yes I am doing all of those, think I can lose the man boob and kinda flabby look?
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

You can make a big difference between now and June. You won't get abs, for that you'll likely need to get lean, do a long bulking phase, then get lean again. I mean, if you really wanted abs you can just get ridiculously lean but it will be more of a malnutritioned look versus aesthetic (and you'll most likely go through hell getting there). Everyone has abs and everyone can have visible abs if they get lean enough but the idea is to develop enough lean mass that you look good at low levels of body fat.

That being said, you can make a lot of progress by June. You can lose a good bit of fat and some of it will be from around your midsection. You won't look like a whole new person but you can look noticeably different with your shirt off if you do everything right. As others have said, calorie deficit, adequate protein, lifting program.

Your body fat percentage is essentially irrelevant. You either are happy with the amount of fat you carry or you aren't. We can guess all day long but the number is just that, a number. Since different people require a different level of body fat to have visible abs, the number isn't very useful anyways. If I was in your position I'd spend the next 12 weeks or so losing body fat. After that I'd slowly begin adding weight for 6 months or so (0.5 lbs a week average). I'd do a proven lifting program the whole time. That should leave you enough time to get to where you want to be by June of next year. Unfortunately to make dramatic changes in body composition take a very long time and requires consistency throughout.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Short term focus driven by plans that involve an end date after which what got you to success will no longer be maintained?

Abs don't maintain themselves....
  • psuLemon
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Yes I am doing all of those, think I can lose the man boob and kinda flabby look?

Maybe... its hard to tell. Genetics will determine where it comes off first. Just keep training hard and you will see the progress.