Treadmill vs. walking outside

Replies

• endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Limit treadmill if you can. Due to its mechanic it doesn't engage certain muscles. It doesn't train your balance the way self walking/running does.

Run with comfortable shoes. Don't pound your bare feet on the ground and break up your blood cells. There's a term for that. Less chance of that if you run on the beach or softer ground, even barefoot. Shoes are better for joints, too.
  • TheJourneyToFabulous
    TheJourneyToFabulous Posts: 381 Member
    I prefer walking outside when its nicw out, fresh air and have some lovely country walks in my area so nice views, doesnt feel like exercise
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    "Better" is pretty subjective. I'd say being outside is far more enjoyable...but I can also get a killer workout done on my indoor cycle trainer as well.
  • allisonl6
    allisonl6 Posts: 37 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    allisonl6 wrote: »
    I really like to run barefoot, so the treadmill is a safer option for me lol. I'm also very introverted so I have to push harder to convince myself to go outside where the people are. I find I run more when I can be alone in my space.

Seriously? You run barefoot on a treadmill? That is not safe.

Why is that?

Also curious why? I've always preferred to be barefoot, period. What about the treadmill makes it so unsafe?

• tinamarie6624
    tinamarie6624 Posts: 182 Member
    I love and adore my outdoor walks/hikes! When the weather is not permitting, (I will not walk outside in cold weather - I'm kind of a sissy when it comes to that as I've had massive ear problems and I can't go through that again.), I will do the treadmill and I like it but it's not the same. I just love being outside!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Just getting warm enough here to venture outside, so I've done a few runs outside. But still do my 5 am runs on the treadmill (it's dark then). Lots of pro's to both so do what you like. I'm faster outside than the steady state of the treadmill, but still slower than some people walk.
  • allisonl6
    So, I was curious and did some reading.... Apparently running barefoot on the treadmill is not really a big deal. https://breakingmuscle.com/learn/the-pros-and-cons-of-barefoot-running-what-the-research-says So yeah, gonna keep doing that.....
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited April 2017
    I really like to run barefoot, so the treadmill is a safer option for me lol. I'm also very introverted so I have to push harder to convince myself to go outside where the people are. I find I run more when I can be alone in my space.

Why is that?
    Also curious why? I've always preferred to be barefoot, period. What about the treadmill makes it so unsafe?

It seems to me the bottom of one's feet might get chaffed. Running barefoot on a treadmill must place a lot of stress on one's feet because there's no traction from shoes.
  • SLLRunner
    brittyn3 wrote: »

Why is that?

Curious as well? I've broken plenty of bones running with shoes on.

I don't care for the DREADmill. But it's the lessor of two evils, for me, when compared to other cardio machines. I prefer running outside. Feels better on my body. You use more/different muscles running outside since your pushing for power vs moving to keep up. Your ankles will be a lot stronger from having to navigate uneven terrain.

Sadly, I'll be on the treadmill for my 5 mile run tomorrow. Snow/mix here in Chicago. Nope.

I've never broken a bone running before, but I know if I try to run barefoot my feet literally hurt. I just imagine a treadmill barefoot run might make it worse.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    So for me there are pros and cons to each.

Outside Pros / Treadmill Cons:
    • Terrain forces me to handle more natural hills
    • Scenery to look at is preferable to Netflix
    • Stride is more natural because it's longer and rather than just up/down there's a push off
    • I like the air outside better, and sunlight is good for Vitamin D synthesis
    • Treadmills do not go down hill, but races do
    • Outdoors with GPS gives me a better barometer for race performance

Outside Cons / Treadmill Pros:
    • Bad weather like rain and snow and ice and frigid cold winds
    • Dogs that want to bite me are only outside
    • There are no oblivious car drivers in my treadmill room
    • Gets dark early in winter, and that makes me harder to see even with reflectors and lights
    • Pacing is a bit more difficult outdoors, making speed work easier on the treadmill

Given all that, I choose to run outdoors as much as I possibly can. I have a treadmill, and I do use it a fair bit, but on any day where the weather is decent I'll be outside.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    The treadmills I have access to have TVs mounted in front of them, and I can crank the incline to max and get a bigger burn than walking outside. But outside has like fresh air and chirping birds and *kitten*. It depends what mood I'm in. The most important thing is that you don't hate whichever you choose.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member

Why is that?

I don't care for the DREADmill. But it's the lessor of two evils, for me, when compared to other cardio machines. I prefer running outside. Feels better on my body. You use more/different muscles running outside since your pushing for power vs moving to keep up. Your ankles will be a lot stronger from having to navigate uneven terrain.

Sadly, I'll be on the treadmill for my 5 mile run tomorrow. Snow/mix here in Chicago. Nope.

I've never broken a bone running before, but I know if I try to run barefoot my feet literally hurt. I just imagine a treadmill barefoot run might make it worse.

I cant even walk on the treadmill without shoes as it really hurts my feet and lower legs, i need my trainers

Im often barefoot even outside
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Reading this thread makes me so grateful for where I live. I can leave the house and spend a day walking with only a few minutes here and there on roads. This isn't even in the country. Nothing beats walking in nature on a nice day.
  • allisonl6
    I run on the balls of me feet though when I run barefoot. It's a totally different gait. I touch the belt for such a short amount of time it's never really been an issue. Not to mention I have built some pretty epic calluses from years of barefootedness lol. I think maybe if it hurt I would feel differently, but it truly doesn't. The fact that I have a padded belt might help too.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Given the choice, I'd hike outside rather than walk on a treadmill, for a lot of the reasons that have been posted. One more reason is that I'm very motivated to finish my hike. If I get bored or tired on the treadmill, I can step off the treadmill and quit early, but if I'm hiking, that isn't an option.

If someone were injury-prone and might need to quit early for health or safety reasons, that could be a drawback though.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member

Why is that?

It seems to me the bottom of one's feet might get chaffed. Running barefoot on a treadmill must place a lot of stress on one's feet because there's no traction from shoes.

No worse than running barefoot on pavement, and arguably safer. People run barefoot on pavement, a lot.
  • SLLRunner

Why is that?

I cant even walk on the treadmill without shoes as it really hurts my feet and lower legs, i need my trainers

Im often barefoot even outside

Normal walking, I'm barefoot as well. Love the feel of the ground under my feet. :)
  • SLLRunner

Why is that?

No worse than running barefoot on pavement, and arguably safer. People run barefoot on pavement, a lot.

Well, it all comes down to preference and whether you can tolerate running barefoot on a hard surface. Personally, I live in a larger city and I've never seen anyone running barefoot on the pavement...and there's a lot of runners here. ;)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member

Why is that?

I've been running for decades, and I've actually never seen that, unless it's little kids running around playing or something. I believe that it does happen, but a lot?
  • SLLRunner
    jenilla1 wrote: »

Why is that?

I've been running for decades, and I've actually never seen that, unless it's little kids running around playing or something. I believe that it does happen, but a lot?

This is my experience as well. I think it's rare to see adults out there on pavement running barefoot, but kids love it! I sure loved to run on pavement when I was a kid.

I really love running on the treadmill, but with good running shoes. Now, I'm in admiration of anyone who can run without shoes on.