Clean eating- does it matter?

Options

Replies

• RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    rhiawiz57 wrote: »
    OP - what is your breakfast you always log with n. yeast, zucchini, kale, mushrooms, and a raw potato? is it some sort of salad? smoothie? just curious because if you like it enough to eat i every day i want to know what the heck that even is!
    @rhiawiz57
    Lol I steam a big bucket of veggies and then I boil tiny chopped potatoes. I log them as raw because I weight them raw. Then I just eat it as like a big potato hash. I used to eat it with hot sauce, mustard or ketchup but now I usually just top with nutritional yeast which has a cheesy flavour. Other times I'll mash my potatoes and eat the veggies on the side. :)
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    What you eat doesn't matter when it comes to weight loss but it does to overall health. However, I don't agree with eating clean 100% of the time for optimum health and well being. As soon as we start labelling food as good and bad and start eliminating enjoyed foods from our diets we can begin an unhealthy relationship with food. For most of us this will intensity cravings and make us more prone to binging.

I firmy believe that our diet should consist of at least 80% fresh, unprocessed or lightly processed, whole foods like fruit, veges, legumes, nuts, meat, dairy and whole grains etc. Leave the rest for foods that don't fit into this catergory that you really enjoy. Better off having a cookie a day than feel that you can't and eat an entire packet in one sitting only to be riddled with guilt afterwards.
    I don't eat dairy but otherwise I totally agree. When I do want a treat, I just make it at home. I usually prefer my cooking to going out but it's different for everyone because some people love the social aspect of eating out
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    rhiawiz57 wrote: »
    Vintage - i want homemade bread now, mmmm!

I got a really good sourdough from a small little local bakery this week, SO GOOD.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    It might help to clarify which version of clean eating we're talking about.

Calories matter for weight loss. Good nutrition matters for things like hunger and health. But those can both be achieved with or without a "clean" diet.

Your diary shows a really low fat intake. I just want to be sure you're being smart about that because I can't imagine keeping my fat that low (and I have to stay low fat without my gallbladder).

Best of luck with your goals! :flowerforyou:

I have to eat low fat because fat cause my skin to break out and give me breakouts but I make sure I get my omegas from my greens on chronometer and if I don't, I'll have a tbsp of seeds. All my blood work is perfect for the first time in my life. I think eating clean just helps you feel full. For example, I'm going to feel a lot more full on a giant salad then two Oreos so I feel like it would be harder to feel full without eating clean

Who makes a choice between a giant salad, or two oreos? What harm will I come to, if I eat a salad AND eat Oreos, when I have room in my calories for both?

Others have asked, but it might be helpful for you to define what "clean" eating means to you - there are dozens of definitions and interpretations of this term, I personally think that makes it an unhelpful term to use - but if you cared to define what it means to you, then it might be easier to continue the discussion.

Also, about your friend... is she using MFP? Did you want to invite her into this discussion, or just talk about her eating habits and weight loss approach behind her back?

Lol she is sitting right beside me. Nothing is behind her back. I don't really care how she eats. We were both wondering because she wants to not feel hungry all the time but she hates veggies and fruits lol.

Clean eating for me is just food from nature, veggies, fruits, whole grains, beans, legumes, squash, potatoes, lentils and that type of food. Homemade- mini meal processing and delicious healthy food but everyone can have their own version. All I'm asking is if people think that eating healthier can make weight loss easier. I think yes but I know everyone is different. I was just starting an open ended talk.. not claiming I know the answer for everyone.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Options
    Also to the OP, you seem to eat the same variation of the same foods every single day. Now that's fine if you happen to really love those foods but it's not "wide and varied" as is generally recommended for good health and nutrition. So you see, everyone has a different definition of what is healthful.

Yes, I eat those foods because they are my favourites. I vary up my dinner dish but then I'll eat it three days in a row and I vary my fruit. Since I'm getting all my micro-nutrients (which I track on cronometer) from these combos I don't see a problem.

But I cook for my boyfriend who likes variety and he eats super healthy too. So yeah, this is just my preference :)
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Options
    Thank you for the tips!! I do 16:8 as well and that's another thing she's thinking of trying :) we appreciate your help
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Options
    Also, just because I can, here are the various definitions of clean eating I've seen: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10337480/what-is-clean-eating/p1
    Wow, I can see how that can be confusing. This is why I left my diary open so you guys can see what I mean but I'm in no way saying that everyone's clean has to look the same. Still, we all know the difference between healthy whole foods and junk :)
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I had a big salad for lunch and some sour patch kids, it's not "junk" to me.

What is junk?

To some the dressing and croutons in your salad to others the sour patch kids and still others...all three:)