Clean eating- does it matter?

Options

Replies

• ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    So, are you gonna have a beer or are you gonna have a Guinness?? You can't have both.

Sorry. Forgot this was mostly an American site.

Guess I gonna have me a Bud Light!
    About half of Americans are now craft brew snobs. Which, to many, just means they'll get all excited about some grapefruit-flavored IPA. Me, I just like good beer.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    So, are you gonna have a beer or are you gonna have a Guinness?? You can't have both.

About half of Americans are now craft brew snobs. Which, to many, just means they'll get all excited about some grapefruit-flavored IPA. Me, I just like good beer.

Raises hand slowly.
  • ccsernica
    Options

Raises hand slowly.

:neutral:
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    ^Sigh. Does someone else want to take this one? It's almost the end of the day and I have a fish fry to go to and National Beer Day to celebrate.

Never mind. Niner already took care of it.

It's not beer day in Canada (apparently), but I'm going to have one or two Guinness anyway.

I thought every day was beer day in Canada?

Shhhhhh. Don't let people know that.

We'll be invaded for sure. At least cover up a bit.

Every day may be beer day, but you can only drink it listening to Bieber songs.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options

[/quote]
    Now some people wouldn't enjoy just one Oreo, and that's fine, but does that mean the only option is to never ever eat them or instead to eat them more rarely? Up to the person, but I wouldn't say one or the other solution is better.
    [/quote]

Me. I am that person! I can't buy Oreos because I would literally eat them 10 at a time and finish the entire bag in two days. I don't have the problem with 'snack pack' Oreos because those just aren't as good, so I don't actually like them anyway. My solution to the Oreo delimma is to never* eat them.
    *except for Halloween Oreos, which are magic.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Clean eating, junk eating, vegan eating, potato eating, doesn't matter. If weight loss is what u want a calorie deficit is what you need to aim for.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Tried my first fruity beer a good 10 years ago. Nope.

I'm more of a pale ale sort of gal.

And what is it with the proliferation of Bud Light!? I even saw it in a supermarket here (UK) and wondered who the fudge is buying it!?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

And what is it with the proliferation of Bud Light!? I even saw it in a supermarket here (UK) and wondered who the fudge is buying it!?

Maybe it's the weird hipsters drinking bad beer ironically thing.
  • IrisFlute
    IrisFlute Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Like a couple of people above have mentioned, it's just a question of budgeting. It's like a financial budget, where you have certain requirements: You HAVE to pay rent / mortgage and utility bills and transportation expenses if you want to participate in society. The nutritional equivalent is that you HAVE to meet your body's needs for certain nutrients if you want your body to be sustainably functional.

If you earn a reasonable income, you have enough extra money to go out to the occasional show or to buy the occasional ridiculous pair of shoes that you love. Similarly, if you eat at only a modest calorie deficit, you probably have enough extra calories to spend on treats.

If you're someone who prefers to lose weight on a steeper calorie deficit, however, it's more like someone who's on a very low income. You just don't have any money left for luxuries after paying your rent and electricity bill. If you go out and splurge on some fancy new trinket, then you'll end up without auto insurance or in collections for an unpaid medical bill.

The whole issue of nutrient-dense foods becomes increasingly urgent depending on how much of a deficit you eat at.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

Funny enough, we went to a hockey game last night and it was $2 a beer for a BudLite. Even if it was free and I wouldn't drink one. I know, I'm a beer snob. Sorry, not sorry.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I grew up in a very small town, we lived in the country... tractors are a regular mode of transportation. I have a strong affection for Coors Light. I have no shame in admitting this - my family always stood around after farming in the fields all day sharing a Coors. Bud light is evil
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I seem to feel a lot better when i have plain food, meaning not all this gunk some people put on top, where its too rich for me. so i guess thats clean eating for me.
  • ccsernica
    Options

I thought the ironic bad beer or choice for hipsters was PBR, but maybe they've moved on.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    brittyn3 wrote: »

I grew up in a very small town, we lived in the country... tractors are a regular mode of transportation. I have a strong affection for Coors Light. I have no shame in admitting this - my family always stood around after farming in the fields all day sharing a Coors. Bud light is evil

Definitely Coors Light - NEVER Bud Light (talk about an aftertaste!) although I do love a Guinness on occasion too!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    brittyn3 wrote: »

Definitely Coors Light - NEVER Bud Light (talk about an aftertaste!) although I do love a Guinness on occasion too!

Nope. Miller Lite (Can't stand rice beer so I don't drink Bud in any form)
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,938 Member
    Options

People who can't handle scrumpy (ducking and running)

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I live in the land of cheese and beer. In 2 months I will be heading here:

e99cc341-4a2e-496e-b858-2562d557530a_zpswsiq7prb.png

The New Glarus Brewing company makes some really good beer but they only sell it in Wisconsin. Fat Squirrel (a nutty brown ale) is my favorite.

Ahhh... I love me some Spotted Cow. Why did I not know this was a thing!? Road trip in June!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Yes, it 100% matters, for instance, I eat healthy. I ate one cancer meal (taco bell) and broke out in sweat throwing up for hours. If I eat a slice of cake I get horrid acne. Actually, anything that has no good nutrition sends me into oblivion, I will get sick, depressed and acne. Not to mention I hate the taste of white bread, white rice and fried foods. The flavors are nasty, I don't understand why some people enjoy the taste, I honestly think they pretend to like it because they don't want to make effort in eating healthy. White bread tastes like paper... unless they have weird taste buds its a strange concept to me. I will say sugar is different though, it tastes AMAZING... and sometimes its worth the acne and migraine

I don't understand why some people enjoy sugar in their coffee. It tastes absolutely vile to me. I'd rather put salt in my coffee. But I don't think they're pretending. And I know the fact that I hate sweet coffee doesn't make it unhealthy for other people.

And when you're in the minority on a food preference, like I am on coffee, it probably makes sense to think maybe you might be the one with the weird taste buds.

And I can't stand coffee.

:::ducks:::

Love the smell, think it tastes like someone dipped a brown crayon in hot water. Just because I won't touch the stuff doesn't make it unhealthy, or those who do like it (everyone else) crazy.

• antdelsa
    antdelsa Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    It definitely matters, it matters in sooooo many ways. Not every calorie is equal number one, eating "junk" is not going to be burned as fast as healthy whole foods that are easily digested and metabolized for the body to use.

Also macros are great but micro nutrients are also very important not to mention timing your macros to get the most effecient use of both micro and macro nutrients.

"Clean" eating and "junk" eating aren't arbitrary terms.. eating clean is eating food that is grown in the ground or had a life at some point, junk eating is processed foods, foods filled with garbage and preservatives... these things have a substantial role in weight loss, weight gain, muscle building etc. Regardless what your goals are its always better to eat clean whole foods,but with that said its also ok to indulge from time to time in moderation this doesn't mean every day or even every week. Results are primarily from nutrition and rest, exercise is the smallest part of the equation